Jan 03, 2019, 04:32 AM
Thread OP
@ Joe, no problem. 4mm hole OK?
@Chris, interesting idea, but tape does stick to printed material extremely poor. But glueing would be easy!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2019, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
loaded files up on thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3330453
Jan 06, 2019, 05:19 PM
When I saw this the other day square carbon tube, the stuff from Hobby king with a square outside and round hole in the middle, sprang to mind. Square hole to resist twisting and easy to secure it to the screw.

This stuff:- https://hobbyking.com/de_de/carbon-f...-750x10mm.html but in 6mm (can't find it) or maybe 3mm.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jan 06, 2019, 09:43 PM
I have used this tube and found it to be very rigid.....but it would need a hardwood plug wear the bolt hole is situated because the side wall is very thin at the center of the sides.
Chris...
Jan 07, 2019, 06:34 AM
Got a set of V2 blades printed and a set of grips to fit them to the Gyro One head
Testing soon I hope
Joe
Jan 08, 2019, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
Joe
looking great
I am sooo exited to see your test results.
Whats the weight of your parts?
I got some easton jazz 1816 arrow shafts by now. They fit perfectly in the spar hole. I didnīt print a set jet, as I changed the blade root again. Now with ribs etc. to be printed in one process with 100% infill like the rest of the blade.

Still I am not sure if you gain any advantage with printed blades with respect to building effort.
Jan 08, 2019, 11:46 AM
Werner I glued the parts together today,they feel good and can take a bit of bending pressure

I had to round the root ends to allow the blades to fold back in the blade grips

The balance and cg is the same as my other Gyro One blades and a little bit lighter

Hope to fit on a model in a day or two and do a prerotate and see how they spin will keep you posted on success or failure
Joe
Jan 08, 2019, 08:23 PM
Werner ..I use arrow shafts on a lot of my builds They are far stronger than any "craft "carbon tube.
Joe ..Is there any neg pitch on those blades or holder??
Chris...
Jan 09, 2019, 04:10 AM
Thread OP
Chris... I am just learning about arrow shafts, but they seem plenty strong and rather cheap. I pay about 3,1 US$, but unfortunatelly they are limited in lenght.
The centerline of the profil has a negativ pitch of 1,5deg to the blade root. Bottom of the profil is about level with the root.
Not sure if -1,5deg is enough.
Jan 09, 2019, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Werner ..I use arrow shafts on a lot of my builds They are far stronger than any "craft "carbon tube.
Joe ..Is there any neg pitch on those blades or holder??
Chris...
Chris the original setup on the Gyro One has 0 pitch on the blades and grip but has a very strong prerotator.

I had not allowed for clearance between the new printed grips and the prerotator and had to change the position, also fit a couple of washers for spacers.
If successful I will print new grips.
Joe
Jan 09, 2019, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
Joe
I am not familiar with 2 blade tetering bar (correct writing?) autogyros, so two questions.
Are blades not generally fixed the bar in this setup?
Is ther a reason the blade plande is below the pivot point of tetering bar? I assumed there is.
Make sure nobody gets hurt in your tests! I am tending to dought mechanical strenght of printed parts.
Ok.... what was the reason me designing printed blade?
Jan 09, 2019, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersen
Joe
I am not familiar with 2 blade teetering bar (correct writing?) autogyros, so two questions.
Are blades not generally fixed to the bar in this setup?
Is there a reason the blade plane is below the pivot point of tetering bar? I assumed there is.
Make sure nobody gets hurt in your tests! I am tending to doubt mechanical strength of printed parts.
Ok.... what was the reason me designing printed blade?
Hi Werner the original Gyro One has the blades fixed with two bolts and when they strike they always break, a few owners converted to single bolt.

Don't know if the blades need to be below the pivot point, the other two blade models I have flown used a flex-plate.

I will make sure the tests are in a safe area and every one helping are protected.

I think the printed blades strength will be in the spar and we will find the best combination.

I for one am very indebted to you for all the work you have done.
Joe
Jan 09, 2019, 07:01 PM
JOE
So do I get this correct??
If you get a two blade head spinning fast enough...no neg is required.
The reason for my question is that I am in the process of trying to convert some of my pusher models to a teetering heads but they will not have prerotor.
Chris...
Jan 10, 2019, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
JOE
So do I get this correct??
If you get a two blade head spinning fast enough...no neg is required.
The reason for my question is that I am in the process of trying to convert some of my pusher models to a teetering heads but they will not have prerotor.
Chris...
Chris on my smaller two blade Gyros with no shims they would not spin up on the ground, but if I held them vertical into a reasonable wind with a little start spin by hand they would spin up and I could hand launch them.

With no shim the rotor speed was slower but created a lot of lift, with shims they would spin up on the ground and have a higher rotor speed and good lift.

My Gyro One models have zero pitch but with the prerotator get off the ground no problem.
Joe

Gyro One Flight (2 min 33 sec)
Jan 10, 2019, 06:07 PM
Thanks Joe
That's pretty much the way I thought it should go....and you turn of the prerotor before ROG??
Chris...

Quick Reply