Curtis Youngblood Rave90ENV Gasser Conversion With ASP91HR - RC Groups
Aug 26, 2017, 12:09 AM
Discussion

Curtis Youngblood Rave90ENV Gasser Conversion With ASP91HR

After some gasser talk in Quite Gasser tread i get tempted to get a gasser project and ended up buying a Rave90ENV. The frame support both nitro and electro setup so i will do both. The electro setup will be HERE in Electro heli section.

A big part of this project will be to get the Nitro motor who is a Motor is ASP S91HR (Pipe Hatori) to run on gassoline

The general setup for the heli in both power setup is:

Cyclic servos X3 : JX PDI-6221MG
Tail Servo: JX Servo PDI-6208MG
FBL: Full size Kbar ( for gov on Gasser version)
RX: Going to test out a 8CH FD1000 Receiver Long Range with sbus and telemetry support on a 500 first, not shure yet if i use this or i get one of my good old FrSky V8FR-II
RX/fbl power: 2 x 3.2V 3200mAh LiFePO4, I will built this 2s package with 2 single round LiFePO4 with IN4007 Rectifier Diodes to get voltage at 6v

More updates soon
BA
Last edited by Black_Angel; Aug 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 01:37 AM
Here is some photos, side by side with esp, and photo with the asp91 who will be used
Nov 05, 2017, 01:57 AM

ASP 91 Nitro To Gasser

I think i hove got most of what i need to get the ASP ready for gasoline. Let me fist mention i have as less experience with nitro engines as possible, my experience come from gliders years ago, then electro helicopter. I have started a OSmax25FP in my younger year but thats it. So why nitro motor and gasoline? My flystyle is low headspeed and i like long flytimes so when i started look into gasser heli and some talk in Quite Gasser tread i got hooked on the idea.. I got lots og help already from Bert (Brutus1967) to get what i needed to set up the ASP for gasoline. So Bert im posting as good i can here so maybe another nob one day will test this setup. Here is what i got:
Last edited by Black_Angel; Nov 05, 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:01 AM
I took a close up of this becouse im not shure how to get it placed tight, i see there is a opening, but as i see i did not got any bolt and nut to tighten it..Should i use a bolt and nut ?
Nov 05, 2017, 01:06 AM
My tank have a opening on top for fuel tube, could this be used for return tube from pipe?

And if not then i should ad another tube and filter to my green chainsaw tube with a 3 or 4 mm brass tube between?

BA
Nov 05, 2017, 01:10 AM
I just remember i got some o-ring from you Bert to replace.. Its in this section?

BA
Nov 05, 2017, 07:36 AM
the great Gassif´er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Angel
I took a close up of this becouse im not shure how to get it placed tight, i see there is a opening, but as i see i did not got any bolt and nut to tighten it..Should i use a bolt and nut ?
There should be a special bolt (4 mm diameter) supplied with the engine. It is a headless bolt, with only a short section of thread, and a round cut-out in the side. Insert the bolt in the hole and turn it so the cut-out aligns with the bore where the carb goes. The short piece of thread should protrude to one side (never mind which side) and there should be an M4 nut that goes on the thread.
Push down on the carb firmly, then tighten the M4 nut. Do not overtighten, just enough to firmly secure the carb, and use some loctite to secure the nut.

Quote:
My tank have a opening on top for fuel tube, could this be used for return tube from pipe?

And if not then i should ad another tube and filter to my green chainsaw tube with a 3 or 4 mm brass tube between?

BA
That small boss on top of the head normally is the vent of the tank, if you wish to run muffler pressure, connect it there.
The green chainsaw tube has two connections: it is obvious the long one inside the tank is the fuel pick up, the feltclunk should be put in that one.
The open-ended short one, you need to put a piece of 3 mm or 1/8th" tubing in, and bend it to suit, cut it to length, so it can be used as filling/defuelling connection,

If you are not using muffler pressure, there are two venting options: you can simply plug the filling connection, or you can leave the filling connection open, and plug the top connection on the tank. THe first option is easier, the second option is a bit more hassle when filling and starting, but provides a better mixture stability.
I cannot beforehand recommend one, you have to figure out in flight tests which one suits the engine best.

Quote:
I just remember i got some o-ring from you Bert to replace.. Its in this section?

BA
Yup.... just unscrew that needle, and you will find an O-ring. Remove original Oring, and replace with the ones I sent you. The original O-ring is not really gasoline resistant and will typically fail within a few months. The ones I sent you should hold up a lot longer (so far, none of mine has failed yet so I cannot tell how long...)

I hope this is all clear, if not, please indicate which is unclear to you.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:55 AM
Great Bert thanks for clarification. Im going to prepare a wood board with cut out for the ASP and start adding the needed electronic, thanks etc..for the breaking in and testing setup

BA
Nov 05, 2017, 09:30 AM
I found this video of Rave gasser, i not see any large zenoah engine or mods done on frame, cold this be a nitro running on gasoline?

Rave Gasser - 1st day out (3 min 41 sec)

BA
Last edited by Black_Angel; Nov 05, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Nov 05, 2017, 10:03 AM
rc user
nice project BA, good to see some progress on this.
Nov 05, 2017, 10:08 AM
the great Gassif´er
Quote:
I found this video of Rave gasser, i not see any large zenoah engine or mods done on frame, cold this be a nitro running on gasoline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Clu...ature=youtu.be

BA
Could be, but more likely the OS GT15 heli version was used....
Nov 05, 2017, 10:10 AM
Hi BA

Not sure where you got that vid from, but it's not a Rave gasser.
In fact it's the vid I took of my 500 doing pitch pumps.

Odd that

Jeff
Nov 05, 2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jeff, going to fast here i had this 2 videos up in same time..

Video link updated now..
Rave Gasser - 1st day out (3 min 41 sec)

BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord
Hi BA

Not sure where you got that vid from, but it's not a Rave gasser.
In fact it's the vid I took of my 500 doing pitch pumps.

Odd that

Jeff
Nov 05, 2017, 10:38 AM
rc user
looks pretty cool. just need more time and money, I'll have one