Feb 23, 2018, 05:24 PM
Sorry - double post...
Last edited by rotorsup; Feb 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2018, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman
Iím using the stock suggested setup and getting about 8 minutes of easy flying on a 4s 2200. However, on my third flight, during takeoff, the firewall completely broke off and smashed the first section of the fuselage to pieces.

1. How would you make that first part on the fuselage stronger?
2. Two of the four carbon spars broke. Not sure how to reinforce the other two? Might use a 6 inch spar just JB Welded to the inside. Thoughts?
Sorry you had to "fall on the grenade" for us. But thank you so much for sharing. I'm hoping the issue is related to the spinner/prop overhang on the motor shaft. I just shortened mine. You're doing 4s, which would make the prop turn (about) a third-again faster at full speed than 3s. Maybe prop balance is more critical too?

KRAGA: Would you say an over-long motor shaft contributed here?
Feb 23, 2018, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorsup
Sorry you had to "fall on the grenade" for us. I'm hoping the issue is related to the spinner/prop overhang on the motor shaft. I just shortened mine. You're doing 4s, which would make the prop turn (about) a third-again faster at full speed than 3s. Maybe prop balance is more critical too?

KRAGA: Would you say an over-long motor shaft contributed here?
After reprinting the first section of the fuselage (firewall) with some extra layers of PLA, she seems to be flying well again. Granted I only did about a half a battery and was really gentle on the throttle, it flew really well.

After Kraga updates the files, it's going to be a costly (and timely) exercise for me to reprint and cover the new parts. Bummer
Feb 26, 2018, 11:20 PM
www.3DprintedRCplanes.com
Thread OP

New version of Maripi plans

I uploaded new version of Maripi files on my site which is addressing this motor mount issue. You can read more about it here: https://3dprintedrcplanes.com/news/

I'm sorry if I caused you trouble. Have a nice day.
Mar 03, 2018, 07:25 PM

Finished

My plane is essentially finished. I received my Tower Pro MG92B servos a few days ago. They fit perfectly as you can see in my pictures. I fit the aileron servos before covering the wing. I also covered each wing and aileron with a single piece of covering material and glued the aileron in place after covering. The transparent red material is from WalMart and doesn't have any adhesive. It's "glued" on with Balsarite. This makes the covering very light and contributed to my plane weighing only 950 grams with a Turnigy Nano Tech 1500 mAh 3S battery. I didn't use the carbon tubes for the aileron linkage. I prefer to have a threaded connector on one end so I put Z bends on the other ends of the 1.5mm steel rods. The prop is an APC 11" x 5.5. Since I used 50 mm wheels I have sufficient clearance for it. At present the ESC is only 25A but I will replace it with a 40A one when it arrives. That will likely add 10 to 15 grams. The balance point came out at 87 to 88 mm from the leading edge of the wing. I can shift it a few mm either way by moving the battery, ESC and/or receiver. First flight won't likely be until April.
Dave
Mar 03, 2018, 09:39 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bowes
The transparent red material is from WalMart and doesn't have any adhesive. It's "glued" on with Balsarite.
Very nice looking airplane... Can you tell us more about your experiences using the Balsarite on plastic? I would have never thought of that..
Mar 04, 2018, 09:20 AM

Using Balsarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Can you tell us more about your experiences using the Balsarite on plastic? I would have never thought of that..
Balsarite worked great. No problems putting it on the ABS I used for the plane. I put 2 coats on everything and 3 on the edges to make sure the plastic film would stick well on the edges. The can of Balsarite I used is probably 20 years old. I picked it up while helping to clear out the basement of a friend who had passed away. He paid $2.00 for it!
Dave
Mar 04, 2018, 12:53 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bowes
Balsarite worked great. No problems putting it on the ABS I used for the plane. I put 2 coats on everything and 3 on the edges to make sure the plastic film would stick well on the edges. The can of Balsarite I used is probably 20 years old. I picked it up while helping to clear out the basement of a friend who had passed away. He paid $2.00 for it!
Dave
Sorry to hear about your friend....
The Balsarite is good news. I have a wing where I printed the ribs with ASA instead of cutting on my CNC machine. So far I have not liked any covering that I tried.. But Balsarite will put a new life into that project. Anything special about the Walmart covering film?
Mar 05, 2018, 08:36 PM

Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Anything special about the Walmart covering film?
A friend gave it to me. He tells me it is sold for gift wrapping. It is light, reasonably strong and shrinks well at a low temperature. If you use a heat gun to shrink it you have to be very careful not to melt holes in it! I found covering ABS to be a challenge and the material must shrink at low temperature. Not perfect but it worked for me.
Dave
Mar 05, 2018, 08:50 PM

Balancing

I spent the morning balancing my Maripi. Was more challenging than I expected. I removed the 25A ESC and installed a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC. I decided on the 60A one because I soon realized I needed the weight in the nose. I put it up beside the motor, as far forward as it would go. I also had to put the battery as far forward as possible, almost touching the back of the motor. The receiver also has to be well forward. The result is that the plane balances 74mm behind the leading edge of the wing at the fuse. See photo of the plane on my home made balancing stand.

I would like to see an option to mount the rudder and elevator servos 1 or 2 cm forward of the current position. I think that would make balancing at little easier.

Dave
Mar 13, 2018, 12:25 AM
www.3DprintedRCplanes.com
Thread OP

New design is out ! KRAGA Tere

Just a quick note, I released new plane called Tere.

Here is new thread for it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-launch-glider

KRAGA Tere - 3D printed hand launch glider (1 min 53 sec)
Mar 25, 2018, 11:47 PM
Just bought the plans. Will be putting an FPV system on this plane.
Mar 31, 2018, 12:02 PM

Question on print finition

Hello everybody!
I am building a Maripi plane. I have already print and assemble most of thr parts, electronic composent are on the way.
So I am on the gluing and covering step.
I realized about a little print problem at the extrem fine edge .
They are 2 or 3mm nearly detach and very flexible. (At this place, the wings are to fine for 2 path of printer, I think that's the why)
A think I will cut this strip carefully to have a stong wing edges even if it reduce a bit the size.
What do you think? Have you ever got this issue? Maybe a printing advice?
I will give you news.
Mar 31, 2018, 02:10 PM

Question on print finition

Hello everybody!
Apr 03, 2018, 07:28 PM

Printing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Tiger
I realized about a little print problem at the extrem fine edge .
I have seen this problem with Simplify 3D.
If you are using this program, edit the print settings by going to "Advanced" and change the "External Thin Wall Type" from "Allow single extrusion walls" to "Perimeters only". Then this problem will go away.
Dave Bowes

Quick Reply