KRAGA Maripi - 3D printed acrobat - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 02, 2017, 07:31 PM

Printing Test Part

I printed the horizontal stab test part and the structure came out solid weighing about 13 grams.
Am I correct in assuming that the part was drawn with the structures like the leading edge solid and that you are relying on the 0% infill to make them hollow?
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2017, 11:05 AM

Answered my own question

I reprinted the stab test part and got the weight down.
Part is not perfect but shows promise.
Printed the Fuse test part. It printed very well.
Bought the files and will start printing other Fuse parts today.
I expect to have some problems with the "red" parts with my da Vinci 1.0A printer.
May have to buy Simplify 3D to get these parts to print properly as the da Vinci slicing software is weak when it comes to printing complex thin wall parts.
Photo shows Fuse parts 8 and 9. Rafting still on part 8.
Dave
Last edited by Dave Bowes; Dec 04, 2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Dec 04, 2017, 10:47 PM
www.3DprintedRCplanes.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings
What ESC did you go with on this?
I have there at the moment Turnigy Trust 55A https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ontroller.html
Dec 04, 2017, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bowes
Am I correct in assuming that the part was drawn with the structures like the leading edge solid and that you are relying on the 0% infill to make them hollow?
Dave
Yes, all wing parts are drawn as solid parts and I rely on slicer software of each printer to print it hollow.
Dec 06, 2017, 07:20 PM

Questions about the choice of 3 and 4 mm Carbon Rods

I was wondering about using carbon tubes instead of the 3 mm and 4 mm carbon rods during assembly.

I would think that 4mm tubes would be plenty strong enough for the wing joiners. Did you consider this?
If you think the 4mm tubes might crack or break at the fuse sides we could always glue 3mm tubes inside the centre portion of the 4mm tubes to strengthen them. Would still be lighter than 4mm rods.

I would think that a 3mm tube would be plenty strong enough for the stab pivot. Did you consider this?

Why not use 4mm tubes for the landing gear? I am thinking of gluing short pieces of 3mm rod into the ends 4mm tubes for the landing gear. I think this would be stronger and a bit lighter.

Dave
Dec 07, 2017, 12:53 AM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the input.

I used 4mm tubes for wing joiners before but there was too much wing flex. (And btw I did exactly what you described on my other plane Kodo, when I used 4mm tubes for wing joiner and they cracked after couple landings. I glued in 3mm tubes, but it was problematic to fit them in, I had to sand them ... worked ok though).

First Maripi version had 3mm tubes in landing gear and also in elevator pivot. But landing gear cracked during first landing :-). So instead of redoing the fuselage to accommodate 4mm tubes there are 3mm rods currently. It was much much faster solution.

I'm trying always to minimise material variations, if 3mm rod is already used somewhere (landing gear) then I use it also on other places if it fits.
When I had to replace landing gear 3mm tubes with rods I did the same with the elevator pivot spar.
Otherwise people had to buy 3mm tube just for that pivot spar and getting carbon material is often biggest issue.

So yes, you can use 3mm tube for elevator pivot. As for the landing gear, I think the weight difference b/w 4mm tube a 3mm rod is tiny, but you can use whatever you like.
Dec 08, 2017, 03:15 PM

Fuse Printed

So far I have printed the 10 fuselage parts, the covers, the wheel "shoes" (we in Canada call them wheel pants) and the main servo tray.
As you can see in the photo the 10 fuselage parts look good. I had one failure when printing these parts caused buy a power dip which reset my printer.
The wheel shoes did not print well. Some of the top is really thin and some of the plastic at the top is not completely attached. I think these parts need supports to print well on my printer.
The servo tray will accept many servos. In the picture there is a blue Hobby King HXT900 and a white HKSCM12 sitting in the tray. The HKSCM16, Hitec 5055 and Eflite EFLRS75 that I have here all fit.
I think that I will have to get Simplify 3D to properly print the shell parts. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it as good as they claim?
Dave
Dec 17, 2017, 12:49 AM

Cura Printing Issue

Hi Folks,

Just purchased the Kraga Maripi plans. I've been printing all of the "shell" parts and so far the print quality has been great. I do have one issue however. The bottom layer seems to have an extra layer which is covering holes which should be open (i.e. where the parts slide into each other). I've attached two photos so you can see what I'm talking about. The top of the print looks good as it's hollow where it needs to be. For these prints in Cura, I had a Top Thickness of '0' and Top Layers '0'.

I've just tried another print, and I've set the Bottom Layers to '0'. It appears now the printer is just skipping the first layer and the layer it's placing on top of the raft looks like it's missing a layer in between. The filament is not as squished as it should be. Interested to hear what your suggestions are. Thanks!
Dec 17, 2017, 12:39 PM

Need CF rods and tubes

I am having some difficulty finding the CF tubes and rods at the local shops. HK does not stock them at the US west warehouse so I would have to wait for a shipment from china.
Can you recommend an online vendor to deliver to the US west coast?
Dec 17, 2017, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460
Check out my how to page and scroll down to 'HOW TO GET CARBON SPARS' https://3dprintedrcplanes.com/how_to/
Last edited by Kraga; Dec 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
Dec 18, 2017, 01:36 PM

Carbon Tubes and Rods

Quote:
I am having some difficulty finding the CF tubes and rods at the local shops. HK does not stock them at the US west warehouse so I would have to wait for a shipment from china.
This is where I ordered mine: http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_rods.html
I previously ordered carbon rods from them for F3P indoor airplanes. Very good quality and service.
Dave
Dec 18, 2017, 01:44 PM

Cura Printing Issue

Using Simplify 3D I am printing the shell parts with 0 top and 0 bottom layers.
Which parts are in your pictures?
Dave
Dec 22, 2017, 12:31 PM

covering

which material did you use for covering?
Dec 23, 2017, 03:32 PM

Progress

I have printed all the parts. Had some problems with the shell parts, particularly the larger wing parts. Reprinted a couple at a lower temperature, 212C instead of 220C. That worked better but still have one part with one break (2 gaps) in the hollow diagonal sections.

I printed the wheel shoes, wheel pants as we call them here in Canada, normal width but 11% longer and 11% higher (easy to do with Simplify 3D) so that I can fit 50mm wheels into them. I machined custom aluminum spacers and 2.5mm aluminum axels to centre the wheels in the shoes.

I received my carbon tubes from CTS Sales today thanks to Canada Post having Saturday deliveries today as they try to get everyone's parcels delivered before Christmas. So now I can start assembling.

Quote:
which material did you use for covering?
I haven't done any covering yet. I have a bunch of partial rolls of covering material so I tried some small pieces on a couple of extra parts with flaws. I found that some of the heavier materials like Ultracote won't shrink tight on my ABS parts. It appears to go tight but as the part/film cools it wrinkles again. I have some semis transparent material that I think is Solar Film that does stick and shrink nicely. You need to be careful with it because you can melt holes in it if the iron temperature is too high! Haven't decided what I will use yet. My fuse and vertical fin/rudder are white and the rest red. I may use the semis transparent blue that I have on the fuse and fin along with some similar clear material I have here. I have some solid red Solar Film that I may use on the wings and stab but I may see if I can find some semi transparent red for this.
Jan 03, 2018, 03:35 PM

CRP motors setup

I have completed the printing process and the parts look great. However I think it would be awsome to have a Contra-rotating motor setup in it. The Himax motors offers a setup that would pull the plane nicely, but it weights 150grams and would have to have a modified motor mount location/mount. Is this something that KRAGA would assist with the redesign of the motor mount/cowling part?

Quick Reply