Any good starters for .020 - .010 engines? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 25, 2017, 06:57 PM
1977 kawasaki kd100-m
Discussion

Any good starters for .020 - .010 engines?

I think its time to get a starter for my .010 because the spring has broken twice and its about to break again. I think if I cant find any starters I might use a cordless dremmel with a custom bit/tool or an E-FLITE park 180 size brushless like in the umx beast, umx p-47 ect. I think the brushless is more of a valid option now that I think of it because I don't think it would be to hard to make a mini rubber cone driver.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 07:20 PM
Start just fine with the spring starter which probably brake because you wind it too much (half a turn is all it need). The Cox manual explain it all:
https://coxengines.ca/files/010%20Tee%20Dee.pdf
https://coxengines.ca/cox-.010-tee-d...er-spring.html
Aug 25, 2017, 07:25 PM
1977 kawasaki kd100-m
I wind it 1 full turn, that's what it says for the surestarts so I just thought it would be the same.
Aug 25, 2017, 07:42 PM
Coriolan is right. You just need to wind it enough to flip it through compression. I've had many starts on my .010's, and never broken a starter spring.
Paul
Aug 25, 2017, 07:47 PM
Winding too much.
An electric starter makes it VERY easy to break the engine.
Aug 25, 2017, 08:07 PM
I have broke a vintage TD .010 spring just snapped one day may have had a nick from landing
and perhaps hitting a rock has there are plenty exposed at my field in the summer when the grass
has been toasted. Spring for .010 is a must to start them, I have used a 1/2A starter with .020
but never prime the cylinder. Must allow fuel draw naturally to occur and only if you have fabricated
a thin thrust washer. Otherwise save the 1/2A starter for .049, .09 and TD .15's
Aug 29, 2017, 03:08 PM
Have always hand started my .010's.
Keep them clean and use clean fuel.
Sep 07, 2017, 01:29 PM
Yep -- what the others have said -- the spring starter is the best way to start em. Power starters seem to 1. affect the glow plug somehow cooling them as it spins or 2. break something - like the connecting rods. 3 simply not starting the engine as well. I used commercially available like a cricket or Norvel starter - Ive heard of another cant think of the name but none of them provided the desired results. I made one with a Master Airscrew 3 to 1 reduction gear box and a plumbing fitting with a pink pencil eraser to drive the prop but it didn't work any better than the commercial ones.
Sep 07, 2017, 09:05 PM

1/2 a starter

I have used the Astro Flight 1/2a starter for years on my small engines. If you watch ebay they show up from time to time. I would not recommend using a starter on the Cox 010 though, to do so will probably break the little engine and parts are getting harder to find for small Cox engine.
Sep 08, 2017, 03:56 PM
I bought My Astro 1/2A starter in mid 70's.
Used it Twice.
Once to try and start a Davis Diesel conversion Black widow. Finally started but I damaged both the case and the crank in process.
To add insult to injury the Davis Diesel 'Thing' didn't run well enough to try again.. Ever.
I own /use a few Real diesels... so I have some idea how to use them.
Second starter effort was with a New Big Mig Norvel. Spun the prop nut off 3! separate times.
Managing to find it in the lawn each time.
Never did start the Norvel with the Astro. As It only created hydrolocks.
Yess ..V lucky I didn't bend /break the rod... before I finally came to my senses.
Spring starter Works ! Use it .
Astro starter remains in a cupboard... for ever. Must have 15 mins total run time.
Sep 09, 2017, 04:21 AM
Just get a Sullivan Hornet starter least they still make them and the motors are brand new.
The rubber silicon cone is fresh and viable, can be flipped around to use with cox spinners.

Sep 09, 2017, 04:29 AM
I like the spring starters, it is just like hand flipping but it gives you more snap with less effort.

I prime the exhaust port with the port closed, then engage the spring there and reverse but don't go though TDC. Just release and the engine should fire right up.

If you rotate backwards through TDC you can feel a bump from the engine trying to fire, but that was the fuel load that you wanted to use to have the engine running, and now it has been wasted (dooh, where is the smiley for that).

This method also save the spring from being deformed, I have never worn out or broken any springs.
Oct 29, 2017, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser
Just get a Sullivan Hornet starter least they still make them and the motors are brand new.
The rubber silicon cone is fresh and viable, can be flipped around to use with cox spinners.

So where do I buy one of these? And yes I have checked /tried

Blue Skies. ....Tim
Oct 29, 2017, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD
So where do I buy one of these? And yes I have checked /tried

Blue Skies. ....Tim
Tower Hobbies is OOS but this place has one: http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=SUL598
Nov 03, 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser

Love mine, works on engines up to .15 easily