Aug 25, 2017, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taranis Q X7S

anyone has more information on this radio?
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/taranis-q-x7s/

i've just ordered the QX7 and i was not aware of this model

which are the major difference between the two? i guess the gimball with hall effect but other than that i don't know as i'm totally new
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 12:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
M7 Hall Effect Gimbals, the bluetooth trainer module similar to the Horus's, and new case colours.

It's a nice little upgrade to an already good TX, but no real must-have upgrades.

FrSky is very good at making the special editions desirable without any must-have features, so you're not really out anything if you just bought the base model, but at the same time are getting real value from the special editions.
Aug 25, 2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobox
anyone has more information on this radio?
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/taranis-q-x7s/

i've just ordered the QX7 and i was not aware of this model

which are the major difference between the two? i guess the gimball with hall effect but other than that i don't know as i'm totally new
It was only just announced and it is not clear if it is actually available yet. Horusrc has it out of stock for $184 and Banggood alert me for $199.

Those packages come with a FCX07 charger ...yes they called it that...and a battery, lanyard and case. Doesn't say if it comes with an SD card

The M7s might be nice but you can add them yourself if you really feel the need. The wireless trainer feature would be nice but is probably fairly useless for now if it's bluetooth as alleged unless you have another Q-X7S or a Horus 12S. except it can project telemetry data onto your iPhone...fun but seems a bit unnecessary depending what that actually does...Immediate log viewing would possibly be useful.
Oct 04, 2017, 12:53 PM
Would be nice to know, if this "improved" version still have the inverter issue which cause crossfire cannot communicate at full speed or they fixed this?
Oct 04, 2017, 01:30 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacika
Would be nice to know, if this "improved" version still have the inverter issue which cause crossfire cannot communicate at full speed or they fixed this?
The issue has always been that Crossfire uses 400kbaud, which is out of spec for S.Port (S.Port is 100kbaud). OpenTX supported the higher baudrate (and the X9D/E hardware supports it) but it is out of spec for S.Port and the S.Port enabled X7 doesn't support the out of spec baudrate.

There's several fixes to get around the issue (including the inverter), but it all comes down to the X7 is working correctly to the S.Port spec, but Crossfire & OpenTX were relying on undocumented capabilities of the X9D/E which the S.Port version of the X7 lacks.

OpenTX 2.2.1 will have a 200kbaud mode for Crossfire Telemetry which works on all X7's (but is still out of spec)
Oct 08, 2017, 09:22 PM
What is preventing us from replacing the current inverter with a more capable one instead of having wires running everywhere like the current inverter solution shows?
Dec 15, 2017, 11:10 AM
Still no update if Q X7S supports crossfire out of the box?
Dec 15, 2017, 04:43 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeg
Still no update if Q X7S supports crossfire out of the box?
The underlying issue is on TBS's side. They drive the bus in an out of spec fashion and while the higher-end FrSky radios could handle it the QX7 does not.

OpenTX 2.2.1 supports a lower-speed CRSF link that TBS has also added support for to allow CRSF on the QX7.
Dec 16, 2017, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
It's a shame that you need to do the hardware mod that doesn't seems very easy as well
Dec 16, 2017, 09:12 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
FrSky has their own 900mhz system that integrates in D16 mode on all their systems https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-r9m-r9-combo.html They also have a new small slim receiver https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/r9-slim/ The FrSky integration makes the receiver function like any other X FrSky receiver with failsafe set at the TX, RSSI, RXBattery, Smart port and there are features like real-time changing of the RF power output from the TX controls.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Dec 16, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Dec 18, 2017, 08:21 AM
The software mod for the QX7 is a perfectly adequate solution IMO. I've been using it for quite a while and am perfectly happy with it.

Quick Reply