THE FrSky Receiver....... - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 25, 2017, 01:05 PM
Discussion

THE FrSky Receiver.......

That's what I'm looking for. One FrSky receiver to run all my models; F3K, F3J, F5J using my brand new X9D Plus Special Edition with HAPTIC VIBRATION! Not even sure why I need that but I got me some now!

Priorities are:

-range (way specked out 4M Xplorer range)
-bulletproof-ness
-everything else (telemetry, bells, whistles, etc.)

If one won't cut it, then I need one for F3K and one for F3/5J. There is SO much Taranis/FrSky info out there that I thought a new thread for THE CURRENT BEST PRACTICE in receivers was appropriate.

Background: I put the FrSky DJT 2.4 module in my old JR9303 Tx practically on the first day FrSky came out. I tried the FrSky V8R7SP and never looked back. I didn't even tell people I was using FrSky at the time....negative cool points......"you're going to crash your $3K model on a $20.00 receiver!". But it's been 7+ years and ZERO radio problems. That is quite a record. 7 top line models at the current time, one first gen FrSky receiver.

But the V8R7SP has been discontinued and won't bind with the Taranis (not to be confused with the V8R7-II which will bind but has range issues) without the DJT plug in and I don't want to do that. The time has come.....I think.....UNLESS someone has a workaround to bind this rcvr.

I'm currently working on an OpenTX program that will manipulate the tail surfaces like a fish/dolphin for extreme launch height on 1S and also run the entire contest from your radio. Not quite finished yet.....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 10:50 PM
How about he new FrSky receiver with the built in altimeter mentioned in the taranincurious thread post 226?
Aug 25, 2017, 11:18 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
I have many models with V8R7-II in them, never had any range issues.
Main issue with them is that they are not end pin. I usually remove the pins and solder the servo wires directly in DLGs using them.

The big problem with trying to find one rcvr for both K and J is the size.
X6R might fit the bill.

D series are said to have better range than X, and last batch of X4R I bought had intermittent range issues. Several other reported similar problems.

Both my radios have modules in the back of them, to operate my older models that have V8R7SP in them
Aug 26, 2017, 05:19 AM
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Haven't had range issues yet with the X4R, except for some RSSI warnings with one plane with the antenna's in the fuse. (Far away and probably bad 'angle')
The european version (eu-lbt) (I have it) seems to have improved range.
You can try google it...
Saw a youtube video once about a guy who improved his range test by 2 or3 times with installing a better radio antenna and connector...

X4R has a very DLG-friendly size, you just have to be creative for a battery connector unless you fly rudderless
Nov 05, 2017, 03:13 AM
The X8R should, in my opinion, be THE FrSky receiver. At least for planes. Size is good, telemetry with smart port and a lot of options...
I'had one in my 83" MXS for 2 years with absolutely no issues. Taranis X9D+

However, since I decided to go all in on FrSky this summer, diching my JR, and got the Horus X12S I have had quite a bit of issues... At first I thought it was the Tx since there were some initial issues there, but after a LOT of testing I'm convinced that a lot is due to the receivers...

Got 2 X8R:s, brand new, from two different stores.
Both were useless. Got 10-15 meters in Range check and a maximum of 170 meters in full power. Upgraded firware etc. but they were just crap.
One will be replaced by the dealer (haven't gotten the replacement yet) the other one I took apart, swiched antennas etc. but I could not find any obvious fault with it.
Have seen different posts on similar issues but it's hard to find "facts" as complaints seem to be silenced by "FrSky protectors". I also like FrSky, think the system is great, but if there are reliability issues with their "Top receiver" I think transparency and openess would be better...

Have tested D8R-II plus, and so far that seems really good in both stability and range.
Sadly it has some limitations regarding telemetry stuff since it does not have Smart port.
It is also relatively big, even if I can live with that as it seems like a dependant receiver.

Have also encountered some really strange things on 2 different V8R7-II receivers...
In both cases the model "froze" for a couple of seconds and then connection came back.
One crash and one hairy save later I'm wondering f I can trust these things at all..? Both incidents were at close range, maybe 50m so it can't be range related...
@pmackenzie, do you have experience with bad pin soldering? I did not understand your remark..?

Anyway, if I would get trustworty confirmation that FrSky have had issues wih their X8R quality but have solved it, that would be THE receiver for most my planes.
In the mean time I have ordered one R-X8R and one X8R from T9 hobbysport in the UK as I belive they will support me if I have more issues...

Would be really helpful if this thread could lead to objective and useful information for all people looking to expend the FrSky community.
Last edited by Denar76; Nov 05, 2017 at 04:58 AM.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:06 AM
X4r and the new gx8r in a DLG, x8r in a 1.8m electric glider (paddle antennas), and an S6r in a power plane --- never had an issue or rssi warning and can fly them until the planes are specs in the sky.
Nov 05, 2017, 08:18 AM
dumb_thumbs
I only use FrSKY 4 channel receivers for all my slope planes and DLG.

I have 9 x V8R4-II in all my slope planes, have never had a range or glitch problem with any of them, they are awesome.
The only issue I have noticed is a infrequent small glitch when Tx is within 6 inches of the receivers when powering up Rx (maybe too much signal)

I have 1 x D4R-II (built-in telemetry) in my DLG, also have a FrSKY (High Precision) Vario wired to the external telemetry port, again, never had any problems with this receiver.

i have a V8R7-II in my Fun Cub, again, solid as...no problems at all. (D8 Mode) Haven't noticed any range issues, but Cub only flown in oversized sports grounds. Also have a DJT module on Taranis for older Rx's....hardly used.

Taranis and FrSKY - Rocks!
Last edited by cate3; Nov 05, 2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: V8R7-II in D8 Mode, not DJT
Nov 05, 2017, 09:07 PM
Adam
I have used about 6 FrSky X4R receivers in DLGs and 2 X8R receivers (one in an RC Heli and the other in an all carbon 3.3 meter sailplane. I did get a bad X4R once that I caught with a range test before flying. It was quickly replaced by the vendor.

I use a Horux X12S right now and have used 3 X4R receivers and 2 of the X8R receivers without any issues on it. I fly my 1.5M DLG to around 1200 feet and a few times to around 2000 feet without any issues. I would get an occasional telemetry warning at that range but that is without using the external antenna and I never lost link or had an RSSI critical warning with them. I prefer to use the internal antenna of the Horus since the range works fine for what I need. I never liked antennas sticking out of my transmitters so I am pretty happy with the Horus.

It will be interesting to see what range you get with the replacement X8R.
Nov 08, 2017, 05:44 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denar76
The X8R should, in my opinion, be THE FrSky receiver. At least for planes. Size is good, telemetry with smart port and a lot of options...
I'had one in my 83" MXS for 2 years with absolutely no issues. Taranis X9D+

However, since I decided to go all in on FrSky this summer, diching my JR, and got the Horus X12S I have had quite a bit of issues... At first I thought it was the Tx since there were some initial issues there, but after a LOT of testing I'm convinced that a lot is due to the receivers...

Got 2 X8R:s, brand new, from two different stores.
Both were useless. Got 10-15 meters in Range check and a maximum of 170 meters in full power. Upgraded firware etc. but they were just crap.
One will be replaced by the dealer (haven't gotten the replacement yet) the other one I took apart, swiched antennas etc. but I could not find any obvious fault with it.
Have seen different posts on similar issues but it's hard to find "facts" as complaints seem to be silenced by "FrSky protectors". I also like FrSky, think the system is great, but if there are reliability issues with their "Top receiver" I think transparency and openess would be better...

Have tested D8R-II plus, and so far that seems really good in both stability and range.
Sadly it has some limitations regarding telemetry stuff since it does not have Smart port.
It is also relatively big, even if I can live with that as it seems like a dependant receiver.

Have also encountered some really strange things on 2 different V8R7-II receivers...
In both cases the model "froze" for a couple of seconds and then connection came back.
One crash and one hairy save later I'm wondering f I can trust these things at all..? Both incidents were at close range, maybe 50m so it can't be range related...
@pmackenzie, do you have experience with bad pin soldering? I did not understand your remark..?

Anyway, if I would get trustworty confirmation that FrSky have had issues wih their X8R quality but have solved it, that would be THE receiver for most my planes.
In the mean time I have ordered one R-X8R and one X8R from T9 hobbysport in the UK as I belive they will support me if I have more issues...

Would be really helpful if this thread could lead to objective and useful information for all people looking to expend the FrSky community.
So many have argued that there is nothing wrong with the X8R Rxs. I have said all along they are crap. OK for close up sport flying and I don't even like using it for that. I have heaps of D series, V series and the new X series and no problems with range with any of them. Even the old V4R-II gives me great range with its' tiny antenna. MUCH better than the X8R. My X6 R is reasonable but not perfect either hence the reason I only ever bought 1 of each.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:58 AM
So, got my replacement X8R today and also a RX8R that I thought I should have a go at...

Just done Range tests so far but they both seem good. Went about 60 meters/200ft and still had RSSI at 50.
Have used both internal and external antennas but as xStatiCa was please with the internal I checked that also...
In range mode it made very little difference. Looking straight at the receicers maybe a 2db difference. When turning to the sides the use of both antennas were a bit better.

Agree that the "quality" of the D receivers feel better.
The X series have (or have had?) some quality issues. Personally I've had 2 that were nothing more than crap.
However I guess "you get what you pay for" can be used here. The price is a fraction of more expensive brands and I have also had a JR receiver glitch that caused a crash on a 30cc plane...

I will put these X receivers in a MPX Twinstar and give them some more testing "in reality" before installing them in the bigger planes...
With smart port the telemetry options are better with the X than the D series so I would love to get some more confidence... Probably set up a redundancy system in the big gassers...

I guess my learnings, and conclusion here, is:
Do thorough test when buying new FrSky receivers. Especially XR8s... But one should always do that anyway, right..?
Nov 08, 2017, 11:21 AM
Aurora Builder
I've found that will all FrSky receivers. QC isn't very high. It's not well advertised and if you start saying bad things about FrSky you'll ignite a war. I still own their products, fly them at distances you can barely see the plane at and haven't had issues but proper range checks are always in order when using any receiver/tx comb from any manufacturer in airplanes you would like to walk away from the field with.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
I've found that will all FrSky receivers. QC isn't very high. It's not well advertised and if you start saying bad things about FrSky you'll ignite a war. I still own their products, fly them at distances you can barely see the plane at and haven't had issues but proper range checks are always in order when using any receiver/tx comb from any manufacturer in airplanes you would like to walk away from the field with.
Well said! 👍🏻
Couldn't agree more...
Nov 08, 2017, 04:24 PM
I love Taranis and FrSky. EXCEPT X8R rxs. LOL
I have a X9D and a QX7 amd fly gliders, Quads and Sport and Scale and 3D (sort of)
I originally bought the X8R and X6R for Gliders but they can't be used for that in my case. I prefer using my DX6 and Orange RXs rather than the X8R.
My new Quad has a X4R-SB with Altimeter and Battery monitor on telemetry.

To the OP,
Have you considered the L9R long range Rx? or do you need telemetry? Some good reports on range with those. I am considering one myself, however I also use a 3DR Telemetry Radio system since it is in a Pixhawk Quad.
Nov 08, 2017, 04:30 PM
Aurora Builder
For DLG use, 4 channels is enough. That is why the X4R is popular. L9R's are bulky comparatively speaking. Mickey I believe posted a good write up comparing the D4R-II to the X4R, worth a read.

I would be interested in feedback on the G-RX8 , as that is really a nice setup for gliders as long as the range performance is there to match...
Nov 08, 2017, 05:11 PM
I didn't know about the G-RX8. It looks a very interesting receiver. Great for Gliders and Quads.