FrSky - New - R-XSR Micro Receiver - RC Groups
Aug 24, 2017, 11:55 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Mini-Review

FrSky - New - R-XSR Micro Receiver

Received my evaluation R-XSR receiver yesterday. The pictures really don’t convey how small it is, it is super micro size!

There is clear heat shrink covering the R-XSR and it has the normal status LEDs, but they are separated on the board. The receiver package includes two cables that are really helpful. Having the cables provided lets you mix-or-match them or move the pins around to pretty match any installation.

I bound R-XSR to my Taranis Q X7 and then I did a ground range check. The receiver was placed about 5’ off the ground and powered with a dedicated NiCad power pack of 5.1v.

The Q X7 was put in range check mode and I walked out until I received a RSSI warning of 42. The warning was at about 300’. I use an area in my neighborhood for range checking that limits the test distance to 300’ LOS. In this test I’m sure I could have gone quite a bit further before the R-XSR went into failsafe. The 300’ range test mode is typical for my other X8R, X6R, X4R and X4R SB receivers.

After the ground range check the R-XSR was installed in one of my Arris 250 race quadcopters. The quads use FrSky X4R SB receivers, so I just moved the yellow wire on cable provided with the R-XSR to the SBus position on the R-XSR, unplugged the X4R SB and made the connection to the flight controler. The flight controller is SP Racing F3 with SBus input. I left the disconnected X4R SB receiver in place and added a second set of antenna guides for the R-XSR.

The failsafe was set in the Q X7 and I tested the failsafe before flying. The test flying with the Arris 250 was uneventful and the R-XSR performed as expected.

As part of my testing I’d like to bench test the R-XSR built in receiver redundancy and I’ll need to figure out a way to force the R-XSR into a signal loss.

Although I tested the R-XSR in an aircraft platform where receiver weight and size is not much of an issue, I think the R-XSR micro size with SBus, Smart Port telemetry, RSSI telemetry, RXbattery voltage telemetry, transmitter set failsafe and receiver redundancy all built in opens a lot of opportunities where receiver size is critical.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2017, 12:00 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Smart Port Telemetry

Smart Port tested with a FrSky Vario and is working.

Solder Pads On Receiver

On the receiver top side there are two very tiny solder spots labeled V and G and then two more labeled M and C and then a clean pad in one corner with no markings I can read.

On the receiver bottom side there is one clean pad marked RSSI.

With the correct soldering equipment and excellent skills you could solder a tiny wire to the pads, but soldering to anything else on the board would be next to imposable.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Aug 24, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Aug 24, 2017, 01:04 PM
is that thing really about the size of a servo connector? crazy!
Aug 24, 2017, 02:16 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
is that thing really about the size of a servo connector? crazy!
Yes, that is a servo connector in the picture. It is quite amazing to have full range and all the normal full size SBus receiver features, plus redundancy .

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Aug 24, 2017 at 02:41 PM.
Aug 24, 2017, 03:04 PM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Wrong thread, sorry!
Last edited by Allerhopp; Aug 24, 2017 at 03:10 PM.
Aug 24, 2017, 04:32 PM
So you say it has the same range as the X4R and X4R-SB? If so, I am in for 3! I use to have XSR receivers and every one I had (bought from 3 different vendors) had range issues. I couldn't get more than a couple of hundred feet before I had signal low warnings on the Taranis. I had two friends who experienced the same problem. I switched all my XSRs out for the XM+ and range was no longer an issue. I could fly 3-4X further with no signal issues. However, I missed having full telemetry.

I hope these R-XSRs truly have the range of the X4R, X4R-SB, and XM+. I will be happy to have telemetry back!
Aug 24, 2017, 04:38 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoEleven
So you say it has the same range as the X4R and X4R-SB? If so, I am in for 3! I use to have XSR receivers and every one I had (bought from 3 different vendors) had range issues. I couldn't get more than a couple of hundred feet before I had signal low warnings on the Taranis. I had two friends who experienced the same problem. I switched all my XSRs out for the XM+ and range was no longer an issue. I could fly 3-4X further with no signal issues. However, I missed having full telemetry.

I hope these R-XSRs truly have the range of the X4R, X4R-SB, and XM+. I will be happy to have telemetry back!
300' feet in range test mode is what I got in my test area. I always test my receivers in the same place and the same way as a benchmark.

Mike
Aug 24, 2017, 04:45 PM
That means theoretically it should be 30x that in normal mode right?

Are the connector pins for the R-XSR the same as the XSR?
Last edited by SignoEleven; Aug 24, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Aug 24, 2017, 04:52 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoEleven
That means theoretically, it should be 30x that in normal mode right?

Are the connector pins for the R-XSR the same as the XSR?
It is not a direct calculation between test range mode and total range. There is a formula but I do not know it.

I don't have a XSR to compare, but from the outside edge of the R-XSR the pin order is, GND, +5v, S.Port, Sbus out, and Sbus in.

Mike
Aug 25, 2017, 06:36 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
As part of my testing Iíd like to bench test the R-XSR built in receiver redundancy and Iíll need to figure out a way to force the R-XSR into a signal loss.
I ran into the same thing, when i received my RX8R and wanted to verify its redundancy function. My solution was, to bind master and slave receiver to different TX, let a servotester run on TX1 channel1 and on TX2 channel2. Connect servos to channel 1 and 2. Easy to see now, if master or slave are active and to evaluate the switching time (very fast btw. with RX8R).

FrSky RX8R redundancy switching test (1 min 45 sec)
Aug 25, 2017, 06:43 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerhopp
I ran into the same thing, when i received my RX8R and wanted to verify its redundancy function. My solution was, to bind master and slave receiver to different TX, let a servotester run on TX1 channel1 and on TX2 channel2. Connect servos to channel 1 and 2. Easy to see now, if master or slave are active and to evaluate the switching time (very fast btw. with RX8R).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20_hGCs3NE&t=19s
Thanks, that is a great idea.

Mike
Oct 05, 2017, 02:26 AM
i could not get telemetry to work on betaflight f3 ..wired correctly according to instruction..
Oct 29, 2017, 10:54 AM
Is the telemetry signal inverted on r-xsr just as the xsr is or not. If it is not inverted then this would explain why it is not a straight swap for my xsr.

Just discovered sensors after replacing my xsr with an r-xsr, all sensors were discovered, so would appear is a straight swap after all.
Last edited by bramhall45; Oct 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:59 PM
It's inverted.