May 17, 2019, 11:32 PM
I went back and forth on which plane to put the floats on... Ultra Stick or Valiant? The Valiant won out and I love how it looks. The rear float mount slot wasn't cut out on the bottom of the fuselage. CNC'd a couple plastic brackets to retain the float struts to the fuselage. Headed to the lake tomorrow. Curious how it will fly on floats. I might install a 9350 As3x receiver to clean up the handling a little bit depending on how it feels. Just barely fits under my bed cover with the floats installed
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 06:09 PM
Electrons were young...
Now I am frustrated. I received the new right wing and had to go purchase the pin hinges as they weren't in it.

After full assembly, same problem. The right flap is high.

Can anyone that has this plane tell me how their flaps are situated? Do they follow the contour of the fuselage?

Here are pictures. I'm at a loss on this one and really bothered by the quality on such an expensive model. The replacement wing was so wrinkled I had to spend 15 minutes getting edges put down and wrinkles out.

Here are pictures.
May 20, 2019, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Now I am frustrated. I received the new right wing and had to go purchase the pin hinges as they weren't in it.

After full assembly, same problem. The right flap is high.

Can anyone that has this plane tell me how their flaps are situated? Do they follow the contour of the fuselage?

Here are pictures. I'm at a loss on this one and really bothered by the quality on such an expensive model. The replacement wing was so wrinkled I had to spend 15 minutes getting edges put down and wrinkles out.

Here are pictures.
Mine was similar though not nearly as extreme. I'm assuming you aligned the control surfaces at the tips and worked your way in. I averaged some difference across the surfaces. The right and left tips - where they come past the end of the aileron - were slightly different. One of the surfaces was a little twisted as well so I torqued it and tightened up the covering.

Use a couple straight edges and sight down the wings to find out what exactly is out. My right flap sets just barely above the fuselage and the left just bellow. I have many hours on the plane in extreme conditions with no tendency to drop a wing and everything trims out nicely.

Overall the quality is very solid but I'm sure these planes get built very quickly and boxed up. It's easy for the trailing edge of a surface to cup or twist during construction or transit.

The Valiant flies well on floats. You notice the increased drag across the speed range but more so on approach. It slows and drops more quickly. I'll be adding a gyro, extending the wing tips/droop, widening the wing control surface aft, replacing the aluminum spare with carbon fiber, widening the float stance, machining new aluminum floats struts, adding a water rudder on the other float, and building a strake/rudder extension on the bottom of the fuselage. My goal is to get it handling comparable to how it flies on wheels.

Aerobatics are a kick with floats. A rolling vertical climb with a hammer head on top looks great with those floats hanging down there.
Last edited by RC80AK; May 20, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
May 25, 2019, 09:49 AM

Saito fa 62

Hi, would a saito fa 62b be powerful enough for this plane? I have one which was going to be for another project but I'd rather fit it to valiant if it would power it OK..
Jun 05, 2019, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC80AK
The Valiant flies well on floats. You notice the increased drag across the speed range but more so on approach. It slows and drops more quickly. I'll be adding a gyro, extending the wing tips/droop, widening the wing control surface aft, replacing the aluminum spare with carbon fiber, widening the float stance, machining new aluminum floats struts, adding a water rudder on the other float, and building a strake/rudder extension on the bottom of the fuselage. My goal is to get it handling comparable to how it flies on wheels.

Aerobatics are a kick with floats. A rolling vertical climb with a hammer head on top looks great with those floats hanging down there.
That is great news, thanks for the feedback. I ordered the same floats yesterday and then saw your post's today. I too was torn between two airframes the Valiant 10cc and Super cub 25e. Went with the Valiant due to the extra power it has over my Super cub. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Jun 05, 2019, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000rpm
Hi, would a saito fa 62b be powerful enough for this plane? I have one which was going to be for another project but I'd rather fit it to valiant if it would power it OK..
I would say the Saito 62 would be fine. I have a Saito 82 in mine and its way overpowered. I am swapping it out with a 72 I have. My buddy has a OS 70 in his and its fine.
Jun 11, 2019, 01:05 AM
Awesome, thank you. Can't wait to get one.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:23 PM
It was begging for it! Looks kind of ‘mean’ now.

Quick Reply