Aug 23, 2017, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Does anyone still build and fly oldtimers?

A member of our club passed away last fall and his daughter is trying to sell his RC stuff. He has several already built and kit oldtimers. So, is it worth her time to list these kits?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2017, 07:07 PM
yes, it is worth the effort if the kits are in reasonable condition. They can be listed here or on e-bay.

Regards

Dennis
Aug 23, 2017, 07:13 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
As a note, eBay is hit or miss with bidding. I have witnessed weird timing that just doesn't make sense. The same object can vary by 50% or more - take a look on eBay at closed (i.e. completed) auctions to get a sense if there is a fluid market for what you have. You can get an idea as to $ value people will pay.

Plus it is 10% to ebay for listing costs, and 3% to Paypal, and planning costs for USPS shipping is at least a little hairy. I was just at the post office today and mentioning that to the woman at the counter and she admitted she, herself, stopped selling on eBay because of shipping costs -
irony. Personally, I find it more straightforward to list here where you will truly get community support at pricing the merch. Just my 2c.
Aug 23, 2017, 07:56 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
(I'm going to assume here that by 'oldtimer' you mean models based on pre/post WWII freeflight designs. If you mean any model not made out of foam, feel free to ignore my comments. )

Kits are probably worth listing here, but as noted shipping costs need to be researched. Old timer kits aren't usually high value, unusual to see one with an asking price over a C note. Altho' a good percentage of listings are short kits: cut parts only, no sheet or strip stock, so usually cheaper.

Built planes have the usual issues: high shipping costs and awkward to box. Old timers are usually large and fragile, too, exacerbating that.

If there is no interest in the local club for built planes (or kits), you might see if there is a nearby SAM (Society of Antique Modelers) chapter.
Aug 23, 2017, 08:06 PM
The third option is craigslist which nets out about equal to RCG and eBay. I think prices get suppressed on Craigslist...
Aug 24, 2017, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGregory
As a note, eBay is hit or miss with bidding. I have witnessed weird timing that just doesn't make sense. The same object can vary by 50% or more - take a look on eBay at closed (i.e. completed) auctions to get a sense if there is a fluid market for what you have. You can get an idea as to $ value people will pay.

Plus it is 10% to ebay for listing costs, and 3% to Paypal, and planning costs for USPS shipping is at least a little hairy. I was just at the post office today and mentioning that to the woman at the counter and she admitted she, herself, stopped selling on eBay because of shipping costs -
irony. Personally, I find it more straightforward to list here where you will truly get community support at pricing the merch. Just my 2c.
I do agree with you about eBay. I do list some stuff on there but typically only if I can't find a forum such as here to list it.

I know that the two unbuilt kits I saw were short kits.

The ones I saw built had an engine I had never seen before and a very small fuel tank. The engines look like a super small gasser meaning that it had a plug more like a very small spark plugs rather than a glow plug. He has what looks like a couple dozen of these engines. What is a fair price on those?

What she told me was that these were flown much like a powered glider?
Aug 24, 2017, 08:45 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvortex
A member of our club passed away last fall and his daughter is trying to sell his RC stuff. He has several already built and kit oldtimers. So, is it worth her time to list these kits?

Steve
Shipping the built planes would be a hassle, but I have recently purchased a few old timer kits here on RCG.
Aug 24, 2017, 10:18 AM
The market for the built planes is VERY limited. Well, pretty much non-existent.
The engines get bought by collectors. The best method of finding these collectors is Ebay with a very good listing.
That is the reality of what we have.
Aug 24, 2017, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Yup, with the change to electric that the newcomers go to, selling almost any fuel is getting tougher. There are those who enjoy the challenge of fuel planes. Me, I am new to the hobby and want to build kits and adjust engines, don't ask me why, lol. I have a extra 300 1.60 that I have fought with for almost a year now. I have flown it one time in that period. Ready to pull my hair out.
Aug 31, 2017, 10:29 AM
Been in the hobby for a little over a year. Started with electrics but Im tired of dealing with lipos already. So Im selling off my electrics and getting glow and gas planes. Wish I had time to build kits. It takes me months to get an arf put together do to the lack of time.
Aug 31, 2017, 10:58 AM
WildVortex - If you can post some pics of the engines you'd get much more help. And the airplanes. I would just post them here and if they don't sell you'll get some pretty good direction.

Newbie1980 - Craigslist keeps me in fuel planes faster than I can build. I bet in your area you should see some craigslist activity. I have gotten great deals here and on craigslist.
Aug 31, 2017, 11:39 AM
Send lawyers, guns and money
You might also post pictures of the engines in the Vintage forum https://www.rcgroups.com/vintage-and...r-designs-209/. People there can probably give you a good idea of values. Old engine prices can be all over the place (as with most things) depending on specific make/model and condition.
Last edited by ahrma_581; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply