Oct 11, 2018, 01:55 PM
Well... I'm not sure how I managed to do That so poorly. I guess that's what I get for building at 3AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2018, 02:19 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Back about a year ago I built one of these from DTF and didn't have much success with it. Not because of the design but because it was too advanced for my less-than-mediocre flying skills at the time. DTF was NOT forgiving enough for the abuse I put that poor plane through.

But now that I'm pretty comfortable flying 4 channel AC I think I'm going to revisit this design. Only this time I'm making it out of MPF with a couple of strategically placed EPP pieces
Oct 11, 2018, 05:23 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Back about a year ago I built one of these from DTF and didn't have much success with it. Not because of the design but because it was too advanced for my less-than-mediocre flying skills at the time. DTF was NOT forgiving enough for the abuse I put that poor plane through.

But now that I'm pretty comfortable flying 4 channel AC I think I'm going to revisit this design. Only this time I'm making it out of MPF with a couple of strategically placed EPP pieces

I love flying mine as does my friend Bob with his.

If you ever interested, I can CNC cut a kit for you. You would supply the hardware and wood. PM me for details.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Oct 11, 2018, 05:25 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
A little progress on my scratch build... The pieces are cut! WooHoo.
Nice kitting Keith!

Ken
Oct 11, 2018, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Ken!
Although I always have a problem keeping my blade perpendicular, and I end up sanding the edges to be somewhat square...
Still saving up funds for my CNC machine.
Oct 11, 2018, 05:31 PM
While you're here, Ken; I know you've described the process before, but I can't find it. How do you achieve the nice bend in your dowels for the leading edge spar? I have a couple pieces of 3/16 hardwood that I'm ready to bend.
Oct 11, 2018, 11:20 PM
You can disregard my question about bending the wood dowel. I found one of Mike's old posts.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75&postcount=7
Oct 13, 2018, 08:18 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
You can disregard my question about bending the wood dowel. I found one of Mike's old posts.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75&postcount=7
I specifically use Poplar wood dowels. These are very common at Lowes and The Home Depot. The very simplest method is to hold the dowel between my lips while I am working on the model. In about 15 minutes it it sufficiently soft to bend a gentle radius into it. I do not worry about trying to maintain the sharp point where the LE joins at the centerline. Otherwise you can let the faucet drip hot water on the center of the dowel wrapped with a paper towel to the same effect.

Ken
Oct 13, 2018, 11:23 PM
Hello Ken,

I went with the technique that Mike posted. I used a couple tall cups to hold the dowel over a boiling tea kettle, then clamped a block to my table to establish a center point to bend around, and then clamped both sides of the dowel to the table.

I sanded a groove in the leading edge of the wing for the dowel to seat into, and affixed with gorilla glue.

It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. Now I just have to do it all over again for the non-aileron wing.

Thanks again for the plan. I only get 15 to 20 minutes a couple days a week to work on it, but even so, it's coming together quickly.
Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 PM
Airframe complete and ready for electronics.
Oct 19, 2018, 12:17 AM
A little size comparison between the Eclipse and my 130% Flitetest Sparrow from which I will be transferring the electronics.
Oct 19, 2018, 05:08 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Keith,

Here's the pushrod support that I developed for this plane. Presuming you still have access to a 3D printer. If not, let me know. No charge.

Ken

Quick Reply