Sep 09, 2017, 07:24 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thanks for the pointers. I've started assembling the vtail sections and was using white gorilla glue anyway. Thankfully those glue joints required me to get rid the paper at that joint. I did glue in the fuse doublers already without peeling the paper off. But I think they'll be OK.

I actually like working with this gorilla glue it a bit more than hot glue. It's a lot more "positive" of a joint.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2017, 08:28 PM
What do you think of a clip-on piece for the bottom that would be both step and sponsons for flying off water?
Sep 09, 2017, 08:33 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeer
What do you think of a clip-on piece for the bottom that would be both step and sponsons for flying off water?
Yes, that is a very viable option, with a very low weight penalty.

Future versions of this design will incorporate seaplane specific details.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Sep 11, 2017, 12:20 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

"Traditional" Elevator and Rudder config vs Vtail

OK, I'm pretty much finished with 85% of the construction of the Eclipse. It's starting to actually look like an airplane now.

Before I go and install the Vtail I remembered that in one of the first threads in this series it was stated, "the design is easily convertable to conventional tail as well as a seaplane."

Now I like the look of the Vtail and was planning on using that. But I have a bit of a bad history with Vtails in regards to programming them on my Spektrum DX9. I had a FT Sparrow that gave me nothing but problems that can bet traced back to my inability to correctly program the DX9 (even with following the instructions I found online and here on RCGroups. There are just too many variations and places for me to screw up).

So unless I can find a rock solid guide for programming my TX I'm thinking of ditching the Vtail in favor of a standard elev/rudder config so I could eliminate one source of possible problems.

If I was going to go this route, would it be safe to assume that the elevator would be the same overall size as the two Stabilizers/Ruddervators? And that the Elevator would be approximately the same size as one of them?
Sep 11, 2017, 02:43 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
OK, I'm pretty much finished with 85% of the construction of the Eclipse. It's starting to actually look like an airplane now.

Before I go and install the Vtail I remembered that in one of the first threads in this series it was stated, "the design is easily convertable to conventional tail as well as a seaplane."

Now I like the look of the Vtail and was planning on using that. But I have a bit of a bad history with Vtails in regards to programming them on my Spektrum DX9. I had a FT Sparrow that gave me nothing but problems that can bet traced back to my inability to correctly program the DX9 (even with following the instructions I found online and here on RCGroups. There are just too many variations and places for me to screw up).

So unless I can find a rock solid guide for programming my TX I'm thinking of ditching the Vtail in favor of a standard elev/rudder config so I could eliminate one source of possible problems.

If I was going to go this route, would it be safe to assume that the elevator would be the same overall size as the two Stabilizers/Ruddervators? And that the Elevator would be approximately the same size as one of them?
How about I upload my configuration file from my DX8. You can import it right into your DX9?

Ken
Sep 11, 2017, 03:13 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
How about I upload my configuration file from my DX8. You can import it right into your DX9?

Ken
Wow, that would work even BETTER! Thank you!

You know, this little plane has introduced me to a whole new set of construction techniques. I've been peeling the paper off the DTF and using that white gorilla glue like mad! I was in the "groove" this weekend and decided to make a 3 channel wing in case I wanted to try that out. Plus my daughter loves to help me build this kind of stuff so I was looking for an excuse.

I even went and glued bbq skwers fore and aft on that wing and gave it a skin of colored packing tape to strengthen it. I could have done a much better job on the tape covering on this one but I have a good idea what NOT to do on the aileron wing.

BTW, I imported the PDF into AutoCad and made a sheet layout in case someone has access to a CNC machine. If you want I can upload it to here after I've back checked it.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:13 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Possible Sponson arrangement

Here's a quick look at a potential sponson arrangement.

Ken
Sep 11, 2017, 03:37 PM
skumgummi dave
Another cool one Ken...
Sep 27, 2017, 07:37 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Almost done!

OK, got the fuse and wings assembled and covered in colored packing tape. Next I installed the motor, esc and started on the servos.

Only, the control rods I got from Flite Test are about 1" too short!

I need an online source for 17" to 18" long control rods. Heck, I'd even try a home brewed alternative if you've got one....

Anyone?
Sep 27, 2017, 08:15 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Those colors look great. Very nice!

Yes, the pushrods need to be 18" long. I buy my wire locally. You could opt for wood pushrods from 1/8" dowel with metal ends.

Ken

Quote:
OK, got the fuse and wings assembled and covered in colored packing tape. Next I installed the motor, esc and started on the servos.

Only, the control rods I got from Flite Test are about 1" too short!

I need an online source for 17" to 18" long control rods. Heck, I'd even try a home brewed alternative if you've got one....

Anyone?
Sep 27, 2017, 09:21 PM
skumgummi dave
It wouldn't take much to stretch this into a 1 meter glider Ken. Just thinking out loud.

Dave-
Sep 28, 2017, 06:30 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Think out LOUDER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
It wouldn't take much to stretch this into a 1 meter glider Ken. Just thinking out loud.

Dave-
Great idea! I was looking forward to my next build and I wanted it to be a glider. I'd still want it powered so I wonder if we can keep the pusher config.
Sep 28, 2017, 09:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave

Dave-
Stretch to one meter is not that big of a stretch. LOL

Ken
Sep 28, 2017, 09:36 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Great idea! I was looking forward to my next build and I wanted it to be a glider. I'd still want it powered so I wonder if we can keep the pusher config.
What happened to your pictures?

Ken

Quick Reply