Aug 23, 2017, 08:30 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Well done Ken!
Thanks Dave!

I got to put 5 batteries through it this evening. I was playing with down thrust angle. Trying to tweak it out so that I do not get so much ballooning at higher speeds. This plane is not really fast, but the wing makes lots of lift and flies very nice at slow to moderate speeds. trying to push it faster does not induce an bad habits other than chewing through the battery. Also the aileron wing is the ticket with this design. So I am going to call it a 4 channel model.

At 32" it would seem like it would be a little twitchy, but it is quite smooth and aerobatic capable. Cross control turns are a hoot, almost knife edges, Cuban 8s, rolls, split s, and stall turns were part of this evenings routine. Inverted flight is not too good, and I'd attribute that to the under camber wing. It feels like a larger aileron plane.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2017, 08:34 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Wow, nice timing! I was just looking for a pusher style "trainer" that could be updated as the pilot grows in skill.

I had a FT Explorer and liked the design but not the size and fragility. Because of the small airfield I fly at, I need something smaller and more manageable and this looks like it fits the bill nicely.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans
This is a good 4 channel trainer, and a good model to start out with 4 channel right away. Smooth, aerobatic, but not aggressive. Just did not like the way it was flying the non aileron wing. It might have been better if I moved the rudder function to the aileron stick on the Tx, but I did not want to do that seeing I was swapping between wings.

Ken
Aug 24, 2017, 11:10 AM
GLMS
AWESOME looking bird !!!
Aug 24, 2017, 12:12 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
This is a good 4 channel trainer, and a good model to start out with 4 channel right away. Smooth, aerobatic, but not aggressive. Just did not like the way it was flying the non aileron wing. It might have been better if I moved the rudder function to the aileron stick on the Tx, but I did not want to do that seeing I was swapping between wings.

Ken
OK, you convinced me to bite the bullet and go for the 4 channel option. I already got the servos, ESC, motor, and RX pulled. I even went and bought a bunch of DTF

I really can't wait until the plans become available. Are are they already and I just haven't seen it?
Aug 24, 2017, 12:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
OK, you convinced me to bite the bullet and go for the 4 channel option. I already got the servos, ESC, motor, and RX pulled. I even went and bought a bunch of DTF

I really can't wait until the plans become available. Are are they already and I just haven't seen it?
I will try to have them up tonight. I am tight against the clock to get 12 kits completed by this evening for this weekend's session.

Ken
Aug 24, 2017, 12:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav913
AWESOME looking bird !!!
It flies like you describe it!

Ken
Aug 24, 2017, 01:17 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thanks Ken. Don't rush on my account. Good luck with your class.
Aug 24, 2017, 10:16 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Preliminary Plans

Here is a set of preliminary plans. It'll get you started. Just not all the annotation is there.

Ken
Aug 26, 2017, 09:39 PM
Like your design. I have cut all parts out and have the wing, tail feathers, and fuselage just about ready to go. Should finish tomorrow. Do you have any recommended throws for the flight surfaces?

Looks like a nice front yard flier and thanks for the plans.
Aug 27, 2017, 04:42 PM
skumgummi dave
Thank you for the plans Ken. Great drawing skills as always!

Dave-
Sep 01, 2017, 08:30 PM
Jer. 29:11
Ken, how is your STEM program going? Any lessons learned or advice for others?
Sep 02, 2017, 08:49 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Ken, how is your STEM program going? Any lessons learned or advice for others?
Hi Jeff,
Great to hear from you.

The class was a mixed success. Some left encouraged and motivated, while others did not complete the project.

The main drawback was the lack of time. Second to that was the complexity of the build. One suggestion that was made by one of the more motivated participants was to use a simpler model and offer this one as an advanced option.

Connected with the complexity of the build was building skills. What I assumed to be simple was not so for some of the students. However, better build instruction / documentation would have resolved some of these problems.

One of the goals was to come away with a model that could be a chuck glider even if you did not opt to purchase equipment afterwards.

However, I did get to demo the plane that they were building and all were favorably impressed with its performance.

This was the first time that I have attempted this level of a model airplane class. Being RC is an exponential jump from a rubber powered free flight.

Ken
Sep 03, 2017, 10:54 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Another great design!
Sep 09, 2017, 01:21 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Ok, I got all the parts cut out from DTF and have set aside all the electronics, motor, prop, control wires, and servo horns. Plus I have some 1/8" ply for the firewall.

I also re-read the directions to make sure I was familiar with the assembly procedure. I even went out and bought some white gorilla glue.

Didn't think to ask this before, but I'm leaving the paper on the DTF, right? I mean except where it's obvious it is peeled off like the motor pod.

So is it kosher to use hot melt glue on this? Or is the Gorilla glue meant for the Depron version?
Sep 09, 2017, 07:19 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Ok, I got all the parts cut out from DTF and have set aside all the electronics, motor, prop, control wires, and servo horns. Plus I have some 1/8" ply for the firewall.

I also re-read the directions to make sure I was familiar with the assembly procedure. I even went out and bought some white gorilla glue.

Didn't think to ask this before, but I'm leaving the paper on the DTF, right? I mean except where it's obvious it is peeled off like the motor pod.

So is it kosher to use hot melt glue on this? Or is the Gorilla glue meant for the Depron version?
Since you asked about hot glue, I'd stay away from it. Personal choice though. It's heavy and comes apart in hot environments.

You need not strip all the paper from the foam, but you should clear paper where you need to join foam to foam. Joining foam to paper with result in pulling the paper off. You could strip all the paper off, but I've found the DTF is very low density and makes for light weight builds. But is a bit weaker.

Ken

Quick Reply