Aug 21, 2017, 12:59 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
New Product

Eclipse - - - MAV (Multi Purpose Aerial Vehicle with plans

I designed this as a tool for a S.T.E.M. class that I am teaching next weekend.

The name Eclipse comes from the fact that I did not have a name until I had maidened it today. So without any other trim changes than thrust angle I decided to name it after the celestial event across the United States of August 21, 2017.

MAV is because this airframe has the flexibility to take different wings (with or without ailerons, and longer spans), as well as FPV and photographic duties. Added to that is the design is easily convertable to conventional tail as well as a seaplane.

Plans and more to come,
Ken

Eclipse maiden (0 min 47 sec)

Eclipse STOL (0 min 26 sec)

Preliminary plans here - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=23
Last edited by dz1sfb; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2017, 01:56 PM
I was just thinking along this line and maybe multiple wings or a convertible wing- speed/ sport/ sailing/motor-gliding/ even a twin. Plus removable landing gear. Even a changeable power pod- motor+ ESC, or even simpler- motor with proper kv- to perform well on 2 cell/ bigger prop for trainer or 3 cell/ smaller prop for speed. A plane than can be a starter but grow as skill progresses.
Last edited by Draggin'Tail; Aug 21, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Aug 21, 2017, 03:22 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Nice timing!!

Wow, nice timing! I was just looking for a pusher style "trainer" that could be updated as the pilot grows in skill.

I had a FT Explorer and liked the design but not the size and fragility. Because of the small airfield I fly at, I need something smaller and more manageable and this looks like it fits the bill nicely.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans
Aug 21, 2017, 03:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggin'Tail
I was just thinking along this line and maybe multiple wings or a convertible wing- speed/ sport/ sailing/motor-gliding/ even a twin. Plus removable landing gear. Even a changeable power pod- motor+ ESC, or even simpler- motor with proper kv- to perform well on 2 cell/ bigger prop for trainer or 3 cell/ smaller prop for speed. A plane than can be a starter but grow as skill progresses.
Some great thoughts there Draggin'Tail.

Ken
Aug 21, 2017, 03:42 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

Eclipse Specifications

Wingspan - 32"
Wing Area - 193.4 sq. in.
Length - 32.625"
Battery - 800 mAh 3s
Motor - 2205 2300 Kv Diatone DG Racing with an X mount
Propeller - 5 x 4. x 3
ESC - 10A Turnigy Plush
Servos - Hobby King 9g (3)

Ready to fly weight - 275g
Last edited by dz1sfb; Aug 21, 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Aug 21, 2017, 06:23 PM
Very cool
Aug 21, 2017, 06:26 PM
Love the Eclipse design. Elegantly simple and still attractive. Is that a NO dihedral wing on the aileron version? Packing tape hinges??
Last edited by Draggin'Tail; Aug 21, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Aug 21, 2017, 06:32 PM
You got to be kidding me with that hedge top landing Ken!

Another nice design sir.

Brad
Aug 21, 2017, 09:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggin'Tail
Love the Eclipse design. Elegantly simple and still attractive. Is that a NO dihedral wing on the aileron version? Packing tape hinges??
Yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
You got to be kidding me with that hedge top landing Ken!

Another nice design sir.

Brad
I got lucky. Had to pull up to bleed of some speed and it happened at the right altitude. Could have done a touch and go .

Ken
Aug 21, 2017, 09:18 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

Some build sequence shots

Here is some build documentation. Mostly the fuselage and tail.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Aug 21, 2017 at 09:45 PM.
Aug 22, 2017, 07:15 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

A couple of questions from a newbie scratch builder

First off, very nice design! I love the simple clean, yet sporty lines.

question 1 I imagine the plans will call this out but I figured I'd ask anyway. What's the material of construction? Depron? I've never worked with that before. Due to it's availability I usually stick to Dollar Tree Foam (DTF). Can this be made from DTF?

question 2 I'm used to flying a 3 channel slow flyer I built and so far that's been working out real well for me. And from the video, it looks like it has the ability to go pretty slow. If I was going to build it, I would envision making a 3 channel version and then graduating to a 4 channel once I get comfortable with it. Do you see this as a "trainer"?
Aug 22, 2017, 09:03 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
First off, very nice design! I love the simple clean, yet sporty lines. Glad you like it.

question 1- I imagine the plans will call this out but I figured I'd ask anyway. What's the material of construction? Depron? I've never worked with that before. Due to it's availability I usually stick to Dollar Tree Foam (DTF). Can this be made from DTF?

question 2- I'm used to flying a 3 channel slow flyer I built and so far that's been working out real well for me. And from the video, it looks like it has the ability to go pretty slow. If I was going to build it, I would envision making a 3 channel version and then graduating to a 4 channel once I get comfortable with it. Do you see this as a "trainer"?
I was quite pleased as well, simple, yet sporty.

Answer1- It was designed for Model Plane Foam, but yes it can be built from DTF. The initial design goal was to make this cutable from a single sheet of DTF, but some changes and additional parts would have entailed just over a single sheet and shorten the wingspan 2". I will provide a DTF layout as well.

Answer2- Yes, it is a trainer. One of the goals of yesterday's flight was to ascertain if the roll yaw coupling was sufficient for flying without ailerons, and it was. Stronger coupling can be achieved by adding more dihedral to the non aileron wing if desired. Otherwise ailerons may simply be cut loose from the wing or added to the trailing edge along with the center line servo cut out.

Ken
Aug 22, 2017, 09:10 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

3D printable parts

I have developed 3D printable parts such as firewall, control horns, and pushrod guide. This saves me some bucks and makes it so that I only need to print for what I sell. I will link to these on thingiverse once the plans are released.

Ken
Aug 22, 2017, 11:48 AM
Throw a glider!
Really nice simple sporty design. I envision a seaplane rather easily.
Aug 23, 2017, 02:19 PM
skumgummi dave
Well done Ken!

Quick Reply