Cigarette/AMG Offshore Powerboat - Page 7 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 08:50 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Splattered solder is a good indication that the windings got way overheated. Just curious did you ohm out the windings and to the core?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 10:39 AM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Splattered solder is a good indication that the windings got way overheated. Just curious did you ohm out the windings and to the core?
No, how do I do that test Phil? Commutator segment to ...?
Sep 13, 2017, 10:55 AM
Also check each segment on the com to each other. You should only get a reading on the segment directly across the diameter. If you get a reading between any segments other than directly across from each other, the windings have shorted out between poles.
Sep 13, 2017, 02:19 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Set the meter to Ohm's (X1) and short out the leads. This will give you the resistance of the leads. Touch the probe to one segment and the other probe to the next one. With the wire as short as it is, it will be just above the leads ohm reading. You can also put one probe on a segment and the other on the shaft. This will tell you if it's shorted to the armatuer.
Sep 13, 2017, 02:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Also check each segment on the com to each other. You should only get a reading on the segment directly across the diameter. If you get a reading between any segments other than directly across from each other, the windings have shorted out between poles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Set the meter to Ohm's (X1) and short out the leads. This will give you the resistance of the leads. Touch the probe to one segment and the other probe to the next one. With the wire as short as it is, it will be just above the leads ohm reading. You can also put one probe on a segment and the other on the shaft. This will tell you if it's shorted to the armatuer.
Thanks fella's! I will test it and report back.
Sep 13, 2017, 02:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Okay, shorting the meter leads gave me 0.4 ohms.

Testing commutator segments opposite each other, all the way around, gave me 0.5 ohms each.

Testing commutator segments side by side, all the way around, gave me 0.5 ohms each.

What do you guys think?
Sep 13, 2017, 02:41 PM
Boats on the brain!!
How many poles is the motor?
Sep 13, 2017, 03:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
It's a 2 pole motor.

https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-conte...5-CCupload.pdf
Last edited by Kmot; Sep 13, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:42 AM
Boats on the brain!!
How many steel "segments" (poles) are there that the wire is wrapped around? I count 6 from what I can see but I can't see the back side.
Sep 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
Grumpa Tom
It has 12 segments.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
I have installed some CNC aluminum props. They were made for 1/8" shafts so I was able to drill and tap them to 4mm. The threaded output shafts on the Graupner Z-drives are very short and did not go all the way through the prop hubs, even though I ground off the front drive dog portion of the hubs. It left an opening at the back of the prop. Since the output shafts are also different sizes on each Z-drive, the depth of the hole was different. One of them was 1.5mm and the other was 7mm deep.

Ray from the Hansen Dam Violators (Robins Hobby on RCG) suggested adding bullet spinners to the backs of the props. Great Idea I thought!

I got some 3/16" aluminum hex bar and made a couple of bullet nuts. I cut down 4mm studs to fit. The short one only has 1.5mm of thread into the prop hub. I used thread locker and I hope they stay put!
Sep 14, 2017, 10:54 PM
boat butcher
Nice .

Mark
Sep 14, 2017, 11:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thanks Mark.
Sep 15, 2017, 11:09 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
New bullet prop nuts look awesome. Hope you got all the gremlins out, this looks way too cool to not run great.

Bob
Sep 15, 2017, 11:45 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thanks Bob!