RG-65 kit - RC Groups
Aug 18, 2017, 09:01 PM
Discussion

RG-65 kit

I have an older rg-65 which I sail with our local club. Its a great class and we are averaging 10 to 12 boats weekly. 4 or 5 DF's. I want to upgrade. I don't know anything about sailboat design so I would like to buy a KIT ..................... but I can't find one at a reasonable price.

Three times I have tried to contact Brighton Boat Works about a Blue Splash and have never received a reply.

Obviously I don't want to just "buy" a DF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

STEVE
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2017, 10:23 PM
A DF65 is sort of a kit despite being sold as a RTR...you still have to assemble the keel, rudder and spares, rig it and set it up.

It's just not a kit in the sense you have to glue the hull together because its a one piece blow molded unit.

If you start with a DF65 you can always make a custom hull and re-use the rigging, keel rudder etc. to get it on the water faster...might be a good way to get started.

Sounds like the DF has had a bit of an impact on the interest in custom hulls...

http://breakingwindboats.com/
Aug 19, 2017, 02:52 PM
If you have some experience with working with wood, it's not that hard, though time consuming, to build from plans wooden-hulled RG-65 that can be moderately competitive at the club level. Or to build a mold for glass or carbon fiber fabrication, if you have that set of skills. For instance, the lines for the Goth and several other boats are freely available on the Internet.
Aug 19, 2017, 05:43 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
My favorite RG and sailboat blog' it's in German, but there is a translated in right hand column.

http://rg-andy.blogspot.com
Aug 29, 2017, 08:47 PM
try gospectre.com , we have been making kits for 20 years!

we also have more boats and parts at

RadioSailingShop.com , and loads of I hope helpful pics on our news pages!

Andrew
Aug 29, 2017, 11:24 PM
There are very few kit options out there. Gospectre's 507 footy is a very nice and very complete kit. I am sure their RG65 is even more awesome.

Breakingwind just sells bare hulls, and lots of awesome goodies. No "kits" though. The price for admission to get any "kit" other than a DF65, or Hydro Pro Affinity, is steep. And these aren't exactly kits. More like Almost Ready To Sail than kits.
Aug 30, 2017, 09:24 AM
It all depends if you want to go fast. speed is expensive.... in either time or money. build a hull yourself time. buy a hull $$$

the DF65 is a nice hull and when sailed against other DF's it comes down to tuning. it does lack some speed when sailed against some RG65 class legal boats.

Its a shame the breaking wind is slowed down. I think life gets in the way of a hobby from time to time

http://www.boatsetc.eu/en/
http://www.mxcomponents.com/en/20-rg-65
http://www.rg65usa.org/suppliers.html
Sep 04, 2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies.
While I haven't replied, I have checked here almost daily.
I have checked every link provided.

I am left to debate between the DF or Gospectre 650 (2DF's for the price of one 650) or (a DF with A B C and a swing rig.)

To tell the truth I was really hoping that someone would come the the defense of Brighton Boat Works. 3 times I have e-mailed without a reply and then I go to their facebook page and the only comments are two guys wondering where their orders are from 9 months ago.

I guess I will have to go back and wade thru all 44 pages of RG 65 Mass Build? Not what I wanted to do, but .................

STEVE
Sep 05, 2017, 03:02 AM
steve, message craig at breaking wind boats , he molds rg hulls also, never know!

both craig (will speak for him here!!) and I are happy to guide you in building, its half the fun and what we enjoy too!

dragons also a choice, if they sail them where you are its a good thing, but grand prix rg65s are a lot of fun!

we can send you a mx goth as we are agents , but download the plans for free from our site and strip plank balsa build a hull, it is very easy and fun.

use the rig from a dragon initially and a foil set for a rg and build one!!!
Sep 09, 2017, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospectredotcom
use the rig from a dragon initially and a foil set for a rg and build one!!!
Or if you can get one, grab a Hobbyking Affinity. Rigging is the same as a DF65, but it comes with A sail set, B sail set, and full masts + booms for both. The Affinity was $90 + $12 shipping for me in the States.
Sep 09, 2017, 09:58 PM
If you search a bit on fb, you will find a few folks making RG65S. Don't know what your budget is.
Sep 12, 2017, 09:13 AM
So I'm thinking that I will just purchase a DF, and do a nice paint job and possibly a swing rig.

For a kit I am going to buy another scale boat kit which will take care of the building needs

Thanks to all
STEVE
Sep 12, 2017, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srama
So I'm thinking that I will just purchase a DF, and do a nice paint job and possibly a swing rig.

For a kit I am going to buy another scale boat kit which will take care of the building needs

Thanks to all
STEVE
DF65 is a great one design sailboat, but most likely would be an adequate RG65.
Hopefully you have other DF65s to compete against.
Sep 12, 2017, 10:51 AM
Be advised - your swing rig will remove the DF65 from it's one-design status. ........ just in case you planned to race against other DF65's. No problem if you want to race with regular RG65's - but might not be super competitive.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Be advised - your swing rig will remove the DF65 from it's one-design status. ........ just in case you planned to race against other DF65's. No problem if you want to race with regular RG65's - but might not be super competitive.
Also the A+ rig is not RG65 compliant.