Sep 16, 2017, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Just an update on the Frsky protocol:

I can't do any testing until I get the Taranis I ordered a while back. Something seems to have delayed my shipment, but I'll get going on this as soon as it arrives.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2017, 09:43 AM
Durability Tester
Will the esp antenna tracker code run on a esp 01, I know there is limited gpio but it should be enough since tx rx pins are not being used.
Sep 17, 2017, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
All my work has been done on ESP-12Es and ESP-201s. I had to google the esp-01, but with 2 gpios it won't do unless you can remap rx and tx. We need 2 pwm out pins, a digital in, and a led. I've added the source to the first post in case you want to play around with it . You could auto detect home on the first good gps packet, and eliminate the digital in, and maybe use the board's led. I wrote the software originally to work with the PX4 ESP Wifi module on the craft, and it worked well enough. https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/8266

Alternatively it can talk to the WFB ground Rpi hotspot to pick up udp gps packets from px4/pixhawk or APM.
Sep 17, 2017, 01:04 PM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs6buj View Post
All my work has been done on ESP-12Es and ESP-201s. I had to google the esp-01, but with 2 gpios it won't do unless you can remap rx and tx. We need 2 pwm out pins, a digital in, and a led. I've added the source to the first post in case you want to play around with it . You could auto detect home on the first good gps packet, and eliminate the digital in, and maybe use the board's led. I wrote the software originally to work with the PX4 ESP Wifi module on the craft, and it worked well enough. https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/8266

Alternatively it can talk to the WFB ground Rpi hotspot to pick up udp gps packets from px4/pixhawk or APM.
Yea I just has esp01s sitting around so it would have been handy if I could have used it. But it's not much for a 201s so il just order one.

My original plan was to use a apm but after seeing your project and how it connects to the wbc hotspot makes it a better choice.

What about using the tx/rx pins for a gps? So it knows where it is and would work while on the move?
Sep 17, 2017, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Sure you could hook up a gps. I coded something like that somewhere and could find the code. But as you point out you dont need one unless "home" is on the move. Like you would need for a tracking antenna on a uav.
Sep 22, 2017, 01:07 AM
Opt
Opt
It would be cool to see if iNav could implement support for something like this - configure an output from the flight controller to connect to the audio channel and send the tracking data. Or maybe it's possible already? Not sure..
Sep 24, 2017, 02:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
It would be cool to see if iNav could implement support for something like this - configure an output from the flight controller to connect to the audio channel and send the tracking data. Or maybe it's possible already? Not sure..
I understand that iNav supports LTM, and so does this tracker. So I guess you know you need to take the serial telemetry from your flight controller to a frequency shift keying (FSK) modem like the TCM310511 or MX614, and feed the audio into your FPV transmitter. At the ground station, recover the audio, demodulate it back to serial, and feed the serial into the LTM version of the zs6buj tracker. Maybe google around a bit and see what others have done. Good luck. If I can help please ask.
Sep 25, 2017, 02:19 AM
Opt
Opt
Ah yes you're right!
I have done some more research and ordered some FSk chips to build an audio modem. I guess the next step might be for the flight controller DAC output to provide the same job as the FSK chip and connect direct to the audio channel for LTM transmission.

Anyway, nice work, i'll be implementing this soon
Sep 25, 2017, 03:34 AM
Dquad
Nic e project!
I always wanted to have a tracker.. Not cause I really need one, but because of "building"

I use a TBS crossfire TX which can output mavlink data to the droidplanner app on my phone using Bluetooth so I can live track my longrange quad on a map.
Now my question: would it be possible to, instead of receiving this data on my phone, send this data directly to your tracker by using a separated Bluetooth device like a HC-05 connected to it?

thanks in advance
Sep 25, 2017, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
Ah yes you're right!
I have done some more research and ordered some FSk chips to build an audio modem. I guess the next step might be for the flight controller DAC output to provide the same job as the FSK chip and connect direct to the audio channel for LTM transmission.

Anyway, nice work, i'll be implementing this soon
Oops. I think my granddaughter just unsubscribed you on youtube. She is 2 years old. Sorry. Please click again.
Sep 25, 2017, 05:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djondb View Post
Nic e project!
I always wanted to have a tracker.. Not cause I really need one, but because of "building"

I use a TBS crossfire TX which can output mavlink data to the droidplanner app on my phone using Bluetooth so I can live track my longrange quad on a map.
Now my question: would it be possible to, instead of receiving this data on my phone, send this data directly to your tracker by using a separated Bluetooth device like a HC-05 connected to it?

thanks in advance
I know exactly what you mean about "building"

The HC-05 should be easy enough to integrate into the front-end of the tracker. I don't have one handy to try, but I recently got one of these to play with:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP-...803195774.html

I'll order an hc05 out of interest but orders sometimes take up to 2 months from Ali.

EDIT: I found an HC-06 in my "junk" box.
Last edited by zs6buj; Sep 25, 2017 at 05:16 AM.
Sep 25, 2017, 06:11 AM
Dquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs6buj View Post
I know exactly what you mean about "building"

The HC-05 should be easy enough to integrate into the front-end of the tracker. I don't have one handy to try, but I recently got one of these to play with:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP-...803195774.html

I'll order an hc05 out of interest but orders sometimes take up to 2 months from Ali.

EDIT: I found an HC-06 in my "junk" box.
Thanks for checking!
At the moment I am still waiting on all the parts to arrive (luckily, shipping to NL is faster than 2 months)
Very interested where this is going
Sep 26, 2017, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Djondb:

Ok I've added a few lines of code to initialise the HC-06 Bluetooth module, and switch its default speed to 57600 bps to match the Mavlink default. There is also a line of code there to rename the module if you choose. Just un-comment and change "myBT" to whatever to prefer.

Code:
 // Using HC-06 bluetooth model front-end
  Serial1.begin(9600);               //  HC-06 bluetooth module default speed
  delay(200); 
 // Serial1.print("AT+NAMEmyBT");    //  Optional - Configure your HC-06 bluetooth name
  Serial1.print("AT+BAUD7");         // Set the HC-06 speed to Mavlink default speed 57600 bps
  delay(3000);                       // Wait for HC-06 reboot

// Now proceed as per normal serial link

Serial1.begin(57600);       // Telemetry input
  Serial.begin(115200);       // Print Output
I've added this version of the source to those attached to the first post in this thread as usual.

The HC-05 is a more capable module as it can run in master or slave mode, but we only need slave mode here, so the HC-06 is sufficient for the job. I expect the HC-05 should work but have not tested it.

For simple end-to-end Bluetooth testing I used Serial Bluetooth from the Google Play store.

Here is the wiring diagram. Notice that it needs a Vcc of about 5v, but the TTL level is 3.3v and compatible with the STM32.

Happy tinkering!
Last edited by zs6buj; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
Sep 27, 2017, 01:46 AM
Dquad
zs6buj,
thanks a lot for this! This probably will save me from a lot of headache since coding is not really my thing

Now I'm even more eager to receive the parts..
I will let you know how it works out.
Thanks again
Sep 27, 2017, 02:46 PM
Durability Tester
what about automatically scanning if the signal is lost, if no mavlink data is received for a number of seconds start panning and tilting to reacquire signal.

Quick Reply