Orange County RC Sailors - Page 4 - RC Groups
Sep 03, 2017, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Pt Dave
Yep, 6 or 7 from So County should be around 1:00 ish.
I am going to try to stop by as well.

Clay
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2017, 09:56 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Yep, 6 or 7 from So County should be around 1:00 ish.
So we'll see you around 3:00 - 4:00?

Pete
Sep 04, 2017, 01:18 AM
Driven by Passion!
Hey Pete, I wasn't that late today. And thanks for helping us get some practice races in. That was a lot of fun even if the group as a whole had a very short attention span (only 2 races).

Clay - Thanks for coming by and sailing with us. You are welcome anytime. And thanks for the tip regarding Hugh. I have reached out to him for the guys from South County!

Funky wind today - all over the place. It made for some very challenging wind conditions on the water. Still, it didn't dampen the spirit of Fun!

Dave
Sep 04, 2017, 02:49 AM
That was am unusual afternoon of sailing. Must have been 5 or 6 different kinds of boats, even a catamaran. It was kind of the wild West out there, virtually no regard for the rules of racing and a premium put on hitting other boats by some in the group. Everyone was very good natured and seem to take the disarray in stride.

It was fun sailing with Pete

Look forward to seeing you guys for some racing next time.

Clay
Sep 04, 2017, 07:23 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
You might contact Hugh at the Long Beach Helmsmen and ask him if Bill Rivera is interested in selling any of his big boats. I think he has two Santa Barbaras and a Newport 12 and he isn't racing anymore.

Clay
Thank you Clay, I'll give them a follow up this week after the long weekend here!
Sep 04, 2017, 09:20 AM

Pics from race

pete here are some shots i got of your boat during the race.
Sep 04, 2017, 11:39 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividfly
pete here are some shots i got of your boat during the race.
Thanks for that, Chuck!

Boy howdy, that first photo really shows the problem I was having with my sail setup. Compare the twist in my mainsail to the 23 & 89 boats! Oof, I'm surprised that I even did as well as I did, although it's hard to do worse than 5th in a regatta of 5 boats!

So others can learn from my mistake, let me explain what I did wrong: I set my mainsail twist with the sails pulled all the way in, so the main sheet (rather than the boom vang) was holding the boom down and controlling the twist. You can see in the other photos that my mainsail looks pretty good while I have the sails pulled all the way in, but the twist went to hell the moment I let my sails out a little. I had to tighten my boom vang at least 30 turns before the mainsail kept it's shape when I let it out, and unfortunately I didn't figure that out until after the regatta was over.

The forecast for today says: "A 20 percent chance of showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon." I guess I'll do what I did yesterday and show up at the pond around Noon, but I'll be bringing my DF65 instead of my Soling 1M.

Hope to see y'all there.

Pete
Sep 04, 2017, 04:28 PM
Driven by Passion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
That was an unusual afternoon of sailing. Must have been 5 or 6 different kinds of boats, even a catamaran. It was kind of the wild West out there, virtually no regard for the rules of racing and a premium put on hitting other boats by some in the group. Everyone was very good natured and seem to take the disarray in stride.

It was fun sailing with Pete

Look forward to seeing you guys for some racing next time.

Clay
Most of these guys have only been sailing for a week to 60 days, so I wouldn't be too hard on them about the rules of racing just yet. They pretty much sail like they fly, always pushing the envelope.

Dave
Sep 04, 2017, 04:39 PM
Driven by Passion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer
Thank you Clay, I'll give them a follow up this week after the long weekend here!
Hey Jeff,

I reached out to Hugh yesterday and he said he would asking around. He asked if there was any interest in a Newport 12. The guys up a El Dorado Park sail N12's. This is a 72" boat and weighs 40 lbs.

I said let us know if anything comes available.
Here is a great picture of a Newport 12 from the El Dorado Park group.
Sep 04, 2017, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Most of these guys have only been sailing for a week to 60 days, so I wouldn't be too hard on them about the rules of racing just yet. They pretty much sail like they fly, always pushing the envelope.

Dave
First of all, they were all having a blast, which is most important. I could tell right away that there were many new sailors there by all the paint swapping that was going on. I just think it is much more enjoyable if at least right of way/ starboard/port are taught , especially when some of the new guys are sailing boats twice as big as the others. I think it is great to have loosely organized gathering outside of race days. But it is not much fun to have a guy on port plow into you without regard when you are hitting the start line on starboard. Most guys would be happy to know that there are rules that make the sailing more fun and more strategic. It is up to the more experienced sailors to educate those that care to learn. It will make things more enjoyable for all.

Hope to see you guys again soon...on race day!

Clay
Sep 04, 2017, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Hey Jeff,

I reached out to Hugh yesterday and he said he would asking around. He asked if there was any interest in a Newport 12. The guys up a El Dorado Park sail N12's. This is a 72" boat and weighs 40 lbs.

Hello guys. I am the class secretary for the N12 class and sail with Hugh and others at El Do. I do try and keep up with the boats that are available for sale in order to keep them sailing. I will be happy to help anyone who might be interested in sailing one of these great boats. I can be contacted through here or by email: newport12@theamya.org
Last edited by rsgault; Sep 04, 2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
Sep 05, 2017, 03:44 PM

N 12

That is Great Dave... thank you, and everyone for all your help on getting into this.
Dick said he has made contact, and I will do the same now too! Had a great 3 days of sailing with everyone there. I now have the Ranger's Ph # to call the next time someone starts blasting their crummy music so loud the peace is gone! That is the rules, and when they are so inconsiderate, I have no problem lodging a complaint... in fact I hope it does tick them off... they are too stupid to consider anyone else there.... Ugh! Sorry for that. It is such a great park and appreciate the cleanlyness and grooming they do there, it is a shame some think they own the park for their crummy $5.00... for that matter no amount would justify that!
Anyhow... Sorry if I sail and talk redneck... but hope to learn more... should as a former Kitesurf Instructor! Looking foreword to it.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:18 PM
There is a Santa Barbara for sale in the RC Groups classifieds right now. Boat is cheap, but is in Salt Lake City.
Sep 05, 2017, 11:22 PM
Jeff brought his new boat over for a little love he he First pic is of Jeff taping up boat for the first layer of primer. Second pic is of Jeff and Kevin checking the final sanding Third pic is of the Master Kevin starting the primer process !!! Wont be long now my Buddy !!!!
Sep 06, 2017, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Hey Jeff,

That is a sweet one Dave...just what I'm looking for.