Orange County RC Sailors - Page 14 - RC Groups
Nov 12, 2017, 01:28 PM
Driven by Passion!

Newport 12M- Hull #319 - Project has Begun!

Newport 12 - Hull #319 has a new build stand and the project has begun. Estimated completion - Spring 2018.

Expected build features:

Servo Gear sail winch - HD large servo
HD MG Digital rudder servo built at the rear of the boat like Kevin's Hull #20
Internal Structural support similar to Hull #20
Wood Deck with trim - still debating a full plank deck. Not sure yet.
Aircraft Spruce Mast, boom and club.
New sails - Not sure of manufacturer yet.
Stainless steel standing rigging attachments with Surflon Coated wire 80 lb
Wing's West paint and primer in classic big boat scheme.
Spektrum Receiver
LiFe 6.6 V battery.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2017, 07:52 PM
Nice Dave will be watching !!
Nov 12, 2017, 10:07 PM
What a great group of guys to sail with. Stephanie & I enjoyed our day with all of you. Dick your Soling looks wonderful. Very impressive color scheme. Looking forward to another day sailing with all of you.

Rich
Nov 12, 2017, 10:25 PM
Rich, always fun to see you and your wife you re always welcome to come and sail with us. Fun day and thanks for the kind words !! See you soon
Nov 12, 2017, 10:37 PM
Hey Dave

Will your N12 rebuild include internal lift / grab bar ???
Nov 12, 2017, 11:02 PM
Kevin Gault
Look forward to following along with your build DP Dave!

Kevin
Nov 13, 2017, 01:32 PM
With all the building going on in this group, I thought I better get back on the Micro Magic !!! Glued the nose together and when it dries I ll slowly move my way back !! If it works I ll finish it if, not oh well he he
Nov 13, 2017, 06:03 PM
Driven by Passion!
Thanks guys!

Rich, thanks for dropping by and sailing with us. It was lovely hanging out with you and your wife. We were missing quite a few other sailors which will usually make it very interesting to be on the water!

Slo.ca6 - I am planning on doing something like Kevin (Poltergeist) did with build #20. That's the best I've seen, if not, it will have good reinforcement under the deck.

Looking forward to the final Newport 12 race next week with the Helmsmen at El Dorado Park on Sunday. It was great to get some tune up time on the water with Tony and David. I think the rule is once it's tuned up for a race, don't change all the running rigging the next day! oops. Should be interesting.

Here's a little sailing action from Sunday, David M's Newport 12 re-maiden voyage with new sail winch. Much better and Jeff's "I used to be the Big Boat on the water!" Yardley Custom.
Nov 13, 2017, 06:54 PM
Finally managed to get the deck and hull glued together, let dry tonight and hit it again tomorrow !!!
Nov 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
While letting the hull and deck dry, I decided to put the mast together, its not glued until I know where everything will go !!! But its ready !!!
Nov 13, 2017, 09:55 PM
dick, love those stripes .. the MM looking good going together.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:37 PM
He he Chuck they arent staying !!!! got most of it done a little more sanding and figure out the rigging. May even start some primer tomorrow !!!!
Nov 14, 2017, 12:03 AM
Dick,

One suggestion, if you havent glued the plastic keel bulb shells on I wouldn't use them. They are not required nor necessary. On my boat all they did was trap moisture inside and eventually cracked. I removed them and will just fair and paint the bulb.

Rich
Nov 14, 2017, 12:12 AM
Thanks but already did glue them on. I think I got enough glue inside so there will be no room for moisture Plus I ll glass it just as I did on my soling and that worked very well !! See you soon !
Nov 14, 2017, 03:37 PM
Driven by Passion!
Here is a video from Mason Park last Sunday. It was a nice day of sailing on a fall afternoon.

Newport 12 RC Sailboat (0 min 32 sec)