Aug 17, 2017, 11:26 PM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP
Discussion

Orange County RC Sailors

I am starting this post to create a place to discuss RC Sailing in and around Orange County California. The primary sailing spots are Mason Park in Irvine and El Dorado Park in Long Beach. Post your pictures of new boat acquisitions, sailing action, build and set up videos and sailing action videos. Let people know when and where you are going to sail if you are looking from some company to sail with.

UPDATE as of June 15, 2020: Race Schedules for 2020:

The Helmsmen Model Yacht Club at El Dorado Park in Long Beach (On Hold due to Covid-19)

The Orange County Model Sailing Club (OCMSC) at Mason Park in Irvine. (New Schedule posted below as of June 15th)
Last edited by Dana Pt Dave; Jun 16, 2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Updated Schedule
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2017, 11:31 PM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP
This weekend, Mason Park is Club Racing on Saturday Aug 19th and El Dorado Park is Club Racing on Sunday Aug 20th. Open sailing on the opposite days.

Let me know who's up for sailing this weekend, which day and what park.

I am thinking about sailing at El Dorado Park on Saturday around 11:30 ish am.

Dana Pt Dave
Aug 17, 2017, 11:59 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Great idea Dave...not sure how many sailors in OC, but like Wayne's OC flying one...should be very strong'
Dick & I will be back at Mason on Saturday...Sunday back up the flying hill...but we'll see you again at Mason one of these weekends'
Good one buddy!
Aug 18, 2017, 01:27 AM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP

RC Laser

First new boat in years. RC Laser - One Design.

Length Deck 41.5″
Length Waterline 37.75″
Beam 13.5″
Draft 17″
Main Hoist 50″
Mast top above deck 54″
Bottom of keel to top of mast 73″
Displacement 9 lbs.

Sail Area
A Sail 949 sq. in.
B Sail 710 sq. in. (Standard Rig)
C Sail 600 sq. in.
D Sail 525 sq. in.

Fast and fun!

Dave
Aug 18, 2017, 01:35 AM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP

Dragon Force 65

Well, I had to get another boat - a new Dragon Force 65 V6 - One Design. I am really looking forward to sailing with the fleet at Mason Park and with friends who now have DF 65's.

Specification
• Length: 650mm (26")
• Beam: 116.5mm
• Rig Height: 915mm
• Overall height: 1338mm
• RTR total weight: 1200g
• Sail area (Mainsail): 1460cm²
• Sail area (Jib): 766cm²
• Sail area (overall): 2226cm²
• Hull material: Moulded ABS with painted finish with logo stickers

Super cool boat, very transportable, light weight and fast for it's size!

Dave
Aug 18, 2017, 11:34 AM
You are starting to get as bad in boats ( amount !! ) as you are with planes he he !!!!
Aug 18, 2017, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Pt Dave
First new boat in years. RC Laser - One Design.

Length Deck 41.5″
Length Waterline 37.75″
Beam 13.5″
Draft 17″
Main Hoist 50″
Mast top above deck 54″
Bottom of keel to top of mast 73″
Displacement 9 lbs.

Sail Area
A Sail 949 sq. in.
B Sail 710 sq. in. (Standard Rig)
C Sail 600 sq. in.
D Sail 525 sq. in.

Fast and fun!

Dave
Where can you pick one up? That pic looks like Rancho Santa Margarita?
Aug 18, 2017, 12:37 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleman3
Where can you pick one up? That pic looks like Rancho Santa Margarita?

http://www.intensitysails.com/racolasa.html
Aug 18, 2017, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Thanks!
Aug 19, 2017, 12:58 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I'm headed to Mason with my DF65. The OCMSC is holding a Micro Magic regatta today, but it's OK to pleasure sail during a race as long as you keep clear of the course (and there's plenty of room on the pond). In fact, if there's a low turnout of Micro Magics, they're known for allowing similar-sized boats like the DF65 to sail in the regatta with them. The Micro Magic class is one of the informal classes the OCMSC sails, meaning that seasonal points aren't going towards trophies.

See you at the pond!

Pete
Aug 19, 2017, 10:02 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
What fun! For those of you who missed it, we had seven boats on the water after the Micro Magic crowd left: Five DF65s along with Dick's and Jeff's larger boats. I had such a good time that I'm going back for some more tomorrow with my Soling 1M.

Come on out and enjoy the fun!

Pete
Aug 20, 2017, 12:33 AM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP
Great time sailing today. Weather was great, wind was pretty good, just a little shifty. Craig brought out his new DF65. Welcome to the crew.

I will be at Mason around 1:00 ish tomorrow. Bring your boats.

Dave
Aug 20, 2017, 10:00 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I'm torn between bringing my Soling 1M today or bringing my DF65 out again. If I bring the Soling it will probably be the only one on the pond, but if I bring my DF65 I might be able to sail in a group of them. Then again, if I show up with the DF65 I could end up sailing with a group of Lasers.

So what is everyone bringing?

Pete (who might bring both)
Aug 20, 2017, 08:42 PM
Driven by Passion!
Thread OP
Very nice day at Mason Park today. Light crowd, but DF65's were out again. We welcome the newest DF65 skippered by Craig to the fleet. It was nice sailing into the late afternoon. Boats came off the water about 5:00 pm.

Had my RC Laser out today. It was great to sail with Chuck and his Laser.

Dana Pt Dave
Aug 20, 2017, 10:56 PM
nice sailing today .. and thanks Dave for the boat rescue, you were skippering that LASER like a tug boat.

I am upgrading my RC LASER with the full deck line. so here is a look at the GUTS of the RC LASER vintage 2000. There is some wood blocks aiding in the servo mount for the rudder. I added some oring material to stabilize the Sail servo. I also enlarged the hole in the deck plate to match the OD of the servo. Now its really stable and no rocking motion.

some pics: mast plug low profile and front bow roller.

chuck

Quick Reply