retracts - electric mechanical combo - RC Groups
Aug 17, 2017, 08:32 PM
Discussion

retracts - electric mechanical combo

Hi all,
new to the forum. Looking to start a kit build with retracts (first experience with retracts). From my research, I'm leaning toward electric mains, and mechanical tail. My question is can these be combined? How do I connect all this to the receiver?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2017, 03:18 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The 'mechanical' tail retract will need a servo, then there will be two 'servoless' retracts for mains.

You either need two 'Y' leads or a three into on lead if you can find one.

Quick sketch below -
Aug 18, 2017, 04:42 PM
Thanks. That seemed too easy... I figured the servoless mains would need to receive a different signal than three servo...
Aug 19, 2017, 03:09 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
A servoless retract is still in a sense a servo. It operates the same as a 'retract servo', in that it just drives from one end to the other, there is no 'follow the stick' positioning or centering.
Aug 22, 2017, 06:12 PM
Servoless retracts use the same signal as any other channel. In fact, a retract servo functions the same way. Only concern is you flip that channel far away from center each way to reliably activate up or down.

NOTE: Some makes of servoless retracts require seeing that signal switch at least once when power is applied to begin following your commands. What that means is if you power the aircraft the gear may not retract or extend until the switch is cycled at least once. Safety feature so if you have gear up selected and the craft is sitting on the ground when you switch it on the whole thing won't collapse.