Max range for nano \ RFU with AIO FPV camera - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2017, 07:09 AM
Build more, websurf less
I reckon that a good test would be to mount the RFU receiver in your friend's wing with its antennae in the tubes and the FrSky receiver in your plane and see what happens.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2017, 08:05 AM
The two wings are basically identical except for the receivers (and same brand but different size esc, batteries also of different brand). Could try it but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance.
The range difference surprised me but even more was the fact that he could fly behind the trees and every time I tried I went down and this was around 150m out.
Aug 22, 2017, 09:53 AM
Build more, websurf less
It surprises me too. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Aug 22, 2017, 10:17 AM
CRS and CDS Certified
I realize the Nano in the picture is just sitting on top of the other receiver but if it really gets mounted there isn't there a problem with the one antenna wire being that close to the metal pushrod? I guess the same thing if the wire from the RFU is in the same spot as the wire from the receiver you have mounted in the plane? Just asking I always try and go out of my way to keep my Nanos away from any metal.
Aug 22, 2017, 05:24 PM
Never gave me any trouble there flying line of sight. I could mount it further out on the wing but I would have to use some servo extensions for a servo and the esc. I have some smaller pusher deltas that due to lack of space I have to just stick the nano in between the battery and esc with only about an inch clearance (some less than that) that I have had no problem with. I should change the title of this thread to reflect that I'm commenting on the range of the Nano/RFU when used with a 5.8ghz AIO FPV camera. I didn't think the FPV camera would affect the range that much but it clearly does. Jim says the Nano has a range of 5 miles but I have no way to test that as I can't see that far
Aug 22, 2017, 06:02 PM
You can check the max range by doing a range test. With the power attenuated you will get .019mw of power. With the power set to full power (something you might want to check), the range you get in a range test can be multiplied by 41.2 to get the max range.

Make sure you range test with the receiver 1' or more off of the ground. I typically see well over 500' of range when testing here, but anything over 125' is acceptable.
Aug 22, 2017, 07:24 PM
I typically range test in an open area with the Rx sitting on a stool around 3ft off the ground. For the Nano I place it on the stool with the antenna horizontal to the ground and angled about 45 degree from line of sight to the Tx. I power it with a nicad pack and normally have no trouble getting over 125ft but never over 200ft. My module has been check to verify its at full power. To determine when I'm out of range I use a servo clamped to the stool with a 2ft dowel painted on the end attached to the servo horn and my 9c in servo test mode. I can see teh dowel at a distance but also have someone watch the servo for choppy movement. When the movement is no longer sooth the test has failed at that point.
Aug 22, 2017, 10:02 PM
CRS and CDS Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMoo
Never gave me any trouble there flying line of sight. I could mount it further out on the wing but I would have to use some servo extensions for a servo and the esc. I have some smaller pusher deltas that due to lack of space I have to just stick the nano in between the battery and esc with only about an inch clearance (some less than that) that I have had no problem with. I should change the title of this thread to reflect that I'm commenting on the range of the Nano/RFU when used with a 5.8ghz AIO FPV camera. I didn't think the FPV camera would affect the range that much but it clearly does. Jim says the Nano has a range of 5 miles but I have no way to test that as I can't see that far
Ok. From your original post I thought you were just comparing the range of his FrSky diversity receiver to your Nano/RFU where the range of his was a lot more than yours. I did not realize there was more to the puzzle.
Aug 22, 2017, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemax
Ok. From your original post I thought you were just comparing the range of his FrSky diversity receiver to your Nano/RFU where the range of his was a lot more than yours. I did not realize there was more to the puzzle.
We were comparing the range one to the other and the FrSky did have more range but my buddy never flew out of range so I don't know by how much. In the last post I just wanted to make it clear the the comparison was done with an AIO FPV camera on board. I also changed the title of the thread to reflect this. I don't know if its possible that the nano is more affected by the camera than Frsky. Ideally I would like to know at what range my friend would get out of range flying FPV. Then I would like to know the range of each without the FPV camera. Jim stated how to determine the range of the Nano via a range test but I will have to look into the Frsky range test procedure and determine if there is a way to compare "apples to apples" so to speak.

This is my first season flying FPV and I'm really starting to enjoy this type of flying. My friend and I recently got some combat wings and thought this would be a good way to range test our receivers. Not really into the long range stuff mostly because its hard to do with the current AMA rules (not that I disagree with them). Some of the youtube videos of long range FPV are both cool and raise some concerns safety wise Check out some of the videos using the Frsky L9R receiver. The range for 2.4 may surprise you
Aug 23, 2017, 01:25 PM
If you are only getting 200 feet in a range test in a wide open area then something is wrong. Are you near anything that has RF transmissions? Schools, TV repeaters, Nexrad radar, etc? At my office building, I had to stop at 530 feet because I can't go any further (between buildings).
Aug 23, 2017, 02:01 PM
My range test was done behind my house in a residential area. By open I'm thinking no trees within ~40ft along the line of sight. Nothing I know of that would be emitting RF that could be a problem. I have also done range tests at the field with similar results in the past. I will repeat the test again next time I'm out. Should get a chance some time this weekend. My module is more than a few years old. Is there a firmware update that could improve the range? I have two modules but they seem to perform similar. One of the antenna was giving me a range of only 120-125ft so I'm going to replace it.
Aug 27, 2017, 01:34 PM
Ok... I repeated the range test in a park setting and the numbers improved (possibly residential routers causing interference in the first test). Anyways I was able to get just over 300ft with my 9c/xps module. One change I did make was to hold the Tx with the antenna pointing straight up (perpendicular to the ground) to clear the metal handle better. I then tried my brothers XPS/futaba module and was able to get about 500ft or >65% more range. At some point I would like to repeat the distance test with my brother's module to see if it make a difference. While my module has not given me any trouble flying normal LOS, now that I'm flying some FPV I'm having control issues if I fly behind trees even at ranges of <200m. Jim, although this module more than passes the range test described in the manual (125ft) should I send it in and have you check it out or is this within the normal deviation ?
Aug 27, 2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, send it in. We will be open next week. However, 2.4GHz should not be used through/behind trees or any foliage that contains water.