Oct 29, 2017, 04:55 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
I got some more time to progress the model. Jilles has done some clever design work with his drawing. It is important there aren't spare parts left over at the end that should be in the model. As there are no instructions it does mean some thinking and prep is required before assembling the structure.

During the week, I finished painting the skid and tips with their final colors and clear coat.
The canopy form is 99% done, time to build the vac former.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2017, 03:26 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Did some more, I played around with the 3D printed nose and how is attaches. Plus I needed to work out how the release will fit in.
I put the release in the nose cone. It will be section off from the rest of the void and that will be filled with epoxy and lead shot.
I've installed some blind nuts and the cone can be fixed to the nose from inside the fuse. It will eventually be permanently attached, bolted and glued.

The fuselage structure, except for the sheeting is done. The landing gear mounts and skid assembly will go in when most of the sheeting is completed and the fuselage gets released from its jigs.

I completed the fin assembly and joined it to the rear fuselage. That was tricky to do, needed a few trial fits to get it right. I used a large builders square to make sure the fin was true.

The rudder is fairly straight forward to build. I'll have to sheet it too. There is a template to use to make sure the fin tip is at the right angle.

I'll sheet the fuselage before starting on the wings.
Last edited by bananaman; Nov 05, 2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Images dropped off
Nov 05, 2017, 04:51 AM
Quick and nice building
Pat'
Nov 07, 2017, 05:18 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Thanks Pat. I've only been building on weekends till now.
A little bit of after work building today and I've finished the retract mechanism. I took a lot of care to build it accurately so it will sit correctly up and down, work smoothly and not have much play. I'm happy with it. As previously stated it will be operated independently of the main gear, just like the fullsize could be.
Next is partial sheeting of the fuselage and the horizontal stabiliser.
Nov 07, 2017, 11:04 AM
yyz
yyz
Nice work. Skid on the original for flying in the snow?
Nov 07, 2017, 11:49 PM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Something that will never happen here with this model. At best frosty grass on a rare day. Its far more likely to skid over fresh cow pats than fresh snow

I haven't found any information on the reasons for installing it. But its shape make me think snow too.
Nov 08, 2017, 12:08 AM
Everything's A Compromise

1/72

Have you SEEN THIS?

Same company also does a 1/48 Blanik

D.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:50 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
The fuselage structure is almost complete.
Sheeting is the next big job, for the most part it will be fairly simple, some of the compound curves will take a bit of time and thought.

The stabiliser was not an easy task, once I figured out a way to put it together and keep it straight in all 3 axes, it went together OK.
Hint for anyone else building it. For the elevators, use a block the right size to fit along the hinge side and tall enough to clear the tip horn, a piece of small ali angle and a small square and build the spar and ribs vertically, then add the trailing edge. The .4mm sheeting will lock it all straight when I do it, but it is fundamentally straight now.

For attachment to the fuselage I've put the larger aft carbon joiner tube and smaller fwd brass tube through the fuselage and into each stab with a thin spacer between. With that all checked straight I'll glue it into all, remove the spacers and cut through with a thin saw. In my case it is already aligned, due to Jilles' design and setting it up true with a datum line at the start.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:52 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Sheeted the elevators, and did more work on the canopy form.
They are stiff, straight and true. I'll sheet the stab halves tomorrow.
Nov 11, 2017, 11:15 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
When ready for a naked bench flight, you should post a pic here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-naked-wood%21
Nov 11, 2017, 04:30 PM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Wilco Cityevader
Nov 11, 2017, 07:23 PM
Onward and Upward.
Beautiful work, bananaman. Watching with interest.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:57 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
I have done a little more but no usable pics.
Tail joiners and the fuselage wing joiner tubes are now glued in. That's confidence in the design (I did a few checks first).
Did have an unfortunate oops, while walking past the tail planes my shirt caught the l/h tip and it made a BAD sound. Then I made a BAD sound!
All fixed now.
Preparing for the build of the 3.21 meter wing panels. Built as a single piece then halved. It will be a four piece wing.
Hopefully some better visual progress soon, some medical stuff to do first.
Last edited by bananaman; Nov 12, 2017 at 03:11 PM.
Nov 17, 2017, 12:39 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
I might be unable to do anything in the workshop but I can move this model along.
Using the model's dimensions and getting proportions from some images, I've managed to draw the files to 3D print the instrument panel and shroud.
I've learned to use Sketchup for my 3D printing so I'm fairly comfortable with it now.

I have some 1/3 size instruments I can use to fit the holes. Others I'll make up using the usual tricks.
Over the next few days I'll draw up some of the other cockpit items and might start printing too.

I'll be giving the files to Jilles Smits, who drew up the model to distribute with his plans.

Quick Reply