Jun 28, 2021, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
A few hours after I took the image above, I went to that same spot and the wings were not there! Only the stands, no wings .... What?!!

On the day there was the lightest breeze, mostly it was dead still. I assume a small strong thermal came through and picked them up. They were in the grass 6m away. Don't seem damaged and although covered in grass, the resin was almost cured so the grass clippings came off OK. Lucky .............
Amazing! I guess first plane ever what goes up in a thermal from building board!!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2021, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
A few taps got the stray pin out luckily. Corona does pop up here and there, and some of us get to stay inside for short periods, means more building and relative freedom when we go to fly after, at least in this part of Oz.

At long last, I started glassing the wings. Poor weather, a nasty enduring cold and time away from home delayed me.
A mate came over to help me put on the long pieces of cloth and wet it out. Too big a job for one person.

As described earlier, the plan says to skin with 1.5mm balsa. I used 2.5mm so I had a bit more substance left after sanding. I'm glad I did that, I sanded a lot and did not end up with a 2mm thicker wing. The plans also state to glass with 25gm cloth. The wings before glassing are very light so was the fuselage.
From earlier in the build thread ..... "weight so far, the inner panel is 1210gm (47oz) the tip is 310gm (11oz)......

The completed structures to date total about 7.5kg (16.5lb), the finished weight would easily be less than 10kg (22lb). Very light for a model that size.
I'd like some more weight. My slightly larger span ASH31 is 16.5kg (36lb). After damaging the wings numerous times in the workshop I'd really like them to be more robust to hangar rash and the weight increase won't hurt, in fact should improve its flying characteristics in our weather here. I have covered the inner panels in 160gm cloth with a tight weave 105 gm on top. I'll use only the 105 for the tips. I worked out the weight increase should be under 1.5kg. I won't know until I weigh the finished model. I do keep in contact with Jilles about my changes.
Guess you did not use the peel ply like suggested by Jiles?
How will you finish your wings? I was thinking to use a foil what they use for car wrapping after the glassing.
Sep 23, 2021, 07:54 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Back onto the Meteor again. Just finished glassing the wings. Ger, I didn't use peel ply because I didn't have enough. It will just mean a bit more prep. I was careful to get a good even surface, so it won't be too much work. Have started fitting the control surfaces. The wings will be painted.
Sep 25, 2021, 03:37 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Today I cut the 0.8mm ply control surface wipers at the back of the wing to the proper width. What I added was too wide by a few millimeters. I sanded the wings and cut out the airbrake slots. They were pre-marked before I glassed the sheeting. I have to cut out the servo holes next.
The large wing panels are now 1690 and 1695gm. The tip panels are 400 gm each.

Something that I have to address is outer wing panel joiners. They are 10mm carbon rods (?), they bend too much and give the wing a noticeable kink when a bend is introduced. I have some high carbon steel ones coming to replace them.
Last edited by bananaman; Sep 25, 2021 at 04:57 AM.
Sep 29, 2021, 03:01 PM
Great to see work continues! I got a new set of ribs from Jilles for the flaps and ailerons. I want to extend the balsa wing surface into the flaps whereas the ones you used fit for a 0,5 mm ply surface. Once I have received the ribs I can start to build the flaps in situ with the wings!
Sep 30, 2021, 03:22 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Hi Ger, Jilles did tell me about your change request. I agree.
The 10mm hardened steel rods arrived, much, much better, nice wing bend now.
I have rubbed fine filler into all the wing panels. I also found a very nice light weight peel ply fabric. I'll use it when I glass the control surfaces.
Sep 30, 2021, 08:44 AM
I bought wing rods from Petrausch . They are of high grade aluminum. The 10 mm is just hollow pipe with 1 mm wall thickness. The 20 mm wing joiner is a composition of same high grade alu filled with carbon. Hope its strong and stiff enough!
Oct 01, 2021, 04:56 PM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger v.d. Hulst
I bought wing rods from Petrausch . They are of high grade aluminum. The 10 mm is just hollow pipe with 1 mm wall thickness. The 20 mm wing joiner is a composition of same high grade alu filled with carbon. Hope its strong and stiff enough!
Not much technical information about them, I assume from a quoted 630N/mm2 tensile strength they are likely 7075-T6 alloy. Very different to "commercial" Al alloys. That strength is a bit more than 304 stainless steel on the material properties chart I just looked at. Although, for bending resistance, the Young's modulus value is important, any material scientists here?

I have 10mm 7075 round rods on order as well. I think your tube will be fine, even if the tip departed, the center panels are large and it would still be flyable.

I am content to add some weight, my model isn't going to be too heavy. I already have some F5J models, don't need a big one that looks like a Meteor
Oct 01, 2021, 04:57 PM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Hopefully I will be spraying primer on the wings today, after cutting out the servo hatches.
Last edited by bananaman; Oct 01, 2021 at 05:04 PM.
Oct 03, 2021, 03:28 PM
Today I have put my Ikarus Meteor back on the building board! Started with the left wing again where some balsa skin was missing. I will report about the flap and aileron construction in the UK scale soaring forum.
Oct 04, 2021, 03:27 AM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Wings are undercoated, servo access holes are cut. Images soon.
Oct 04, 2021, 04:14 PM
Mr. Registered User
Thread OP
Regarding peel ply. The product I've been using was 85gm, which didn't wet out that great, couldn't handle compound curves at all, which meant using lots of smaller pieces that left ridges and it left a rougher finish. The new peel ply is 58gm, easily soaks up resin, does form to shallow compound curves, is easy to remove and leaves a great finish.

Quick Reply