Ikarus Meteor 33% - RC Groups
Aug 17, 2017, 05:14 AM
Mr. Registered User
Build Log

Ikarus Meteor 33%

Hi, very soon I will start building an Ikarus Meteor.
Why? It was very revolutionary in its day. A 20m span all metal glider with a fighter style cockpit and no VNE.
A work colleague (an ex-pat from the old Yugoslavia) and I were talking about fullsize gliding in our younger years. He has a friend who was working on the restoration of an Ikarus. Two were built, one still flies and comes out on special occasions. One thing led to another and I ended up with information and pictures. I decided I would build one.

Next, I needed a plan. Research showed a German and an Italian modeller had built the model (very well too) but they were one offs.
Luckily for me I live in the same city as, and occasionally fly with Jilles Smits, a prolific scale sailplane designer.
Days ago he finished the plans. I have already got it in a laser cutting queue with a local cutter. The raw materials and items needed to build it are on their way from around the planet.
I do a fair bit of 3D printing as well, so the nose, wing tips, retractable skid, instrument panel, seat and canopy form will be printed.

The model will be 1/3 scale 6.7m (264") glassed ply and balsa construction. The retractable skid will be able to be operated independently. For grass fields a skid like this is easily damaged so it will be easily replaced with clip-on sacrificial 3d printed spares.
I have printed the nose already. I'll start the other printing this weekend. Its good to be able to confidently form the canopy without the model even built.

I'll try to post something once a week.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2017, 06:33 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Subscribed
But I don't see an Austria in the background
Aug 17, 2017, 12:28 PM
yyz
yyz
Subscribed!
Aug 18, 2017, 07:41 AM
Mr. Registered User
For the non-believer
Aug 20, 2017, 05:31 AM
Mr. Registered User
Spent the weekend 3D printing, for the model and a job I doing that will help pay for the model.
I've done the nose, the skid (and a spare) and the tips. I printed them coarse in ABS, the tip halves will be bonded with an acetone and ABS slurry.
I'll sand them, vapour smooth, then prime and paint. The 620mm long canopy plug is in two parts and will take many hours to complete on my large printer, its still going.
Aug 26, 2017, 08:19 AM
Mr. Registered User
Parts have been glued together (tips) sanded smoothed, then cold vapour smoothed with acetone.
Next, a light sand and spray with a plastic compatible primer. ABS paints pretty well.

I had a false start with my canopy form as I had a loop of filament spin off the new spool I used on my printer and of course it had to get caught.
Its a 9hr print for each half and I don't like to print while I sleep, so weekend work only. It will be sanded only.
I'm going to print the cockpit interior too, but I'm doing the files for a 50% Orlik cockpit first. Its in the build queue too, this one first.

The wood for sheeting has arrived, the laser cutting is progressing in the queue so I'll be starting the Meteor woodwork soon.
Aug 26, 2017, 05:26 PM
yyz
yyz
Looking sharp. What is vapour smoothing?
Aug 26, 2017, 09:19 PM
Mr. Registered User
Easier to watch this than explain.
Its a good technique. I do it a little differently but the basics are the same.

Cold Acetone Vapor Finishing for 3D Printing (3 min 2 sec)
Aug 30, 2017, 04:07 PM
If you've never seen it...
Ikarus Meteor - riproduzione aliante RC di Massimo Perini (12 min 16 sec)

Ciao from an Italian aeromodeller...
Sep 02, 2017, 11:33 AM

Grazie !!!

Remarkable sailplane, beautiful video, wonderful music, all very nice! Looks like you and your friends were enjoying a wonderful day! Thank you for sharing this with us!!!

Grazie, Joe
Sep 02, 2017, 08:16 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Lovely lines for sure!
Sep 05, 2017, 05:42 AM
Mr. Registered User
Great video Massimo, your model is one of the two examples I found that encouraged me to start this project.

Quick update, I've had trouble printing the large canopy form.
ABS plastic has a tendency to shrink and the force can be enough to separate the layers, more so on larger prints and it did.
After 4 attempts and 4 fails, time to try something a bit more traditional.
I'll CNC router it! Will do that this weekend, I'm building the vac former for the canopy as well.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:59 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the diff between the Ikarus and Zagreb Meteors?
D.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:50 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by masperini
If you've never seen it...
https://youtu.be/csPmUtwC6Ag
Ciao from an Italian aeromodeller...
BRAVO!!!
And thank you.
Skies
Jay
Sep 06, 2017, 03:29 AM
Mr. Registered User
Zagreb is the city where the only flying example is and Aeroklub Zagreb fly it at displays.
Hence "The Zagreb Meteor".

A work colleague is over there on holidays and knows someone who was/is involved in restoration of the other one.
I'm hoping to get images soon.