Aug 16, 2017, 06:42 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Discussion

My pick for best RC airplane 2017

The harbor freight yellowbee ($39.99) is often overlooked in the search for the perfect RC airplane.. This beauty has two motors and is RTF right out of the box, just attach the wing and fly!.. Not only that everything is included, the TX, the flight battery and the charger all all included!.. Flight performance is stellar.. Get yours today and impress your club members when you show up with a shiny new Yellowbee!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2017, 09:03 PM
------------------
Aug 16, 2017, 09:45 PM
Drinking and typing don't mix...
Aug 16, 2017, 09:55 PM
Sokol
do you have one of these for sale ?

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-conte...e-bridge-2.jpg
Aug 16, 2017, 09:58 PM
I get it now.....I just saw the "other" thread.....lol.

Now this thread makes sense and I now consider it to be extremely clever and really really sarcastic...LMAO>
Aug 16, 2017, 10:16 PM
DFS#000178
Will it go 100mph?
Aug 17, 2017, 12:15 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Aug 17, 2017, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Will it go 100mph?
Yes!

In a hurricane.....

Once.

Aug 17, 2017, 02:33 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
The harbor freight yellowbee ($39.99) is often overlooked in the search for the perfect RC airplane.. This beauty has two motors and is RTF right out of the box, just attach the wing and fly!.. Not only that everything is included, the TX, the flight battery and the charger all all included!.. Flight performance is stellar.. Get yours today and impress your club members when you show up with a shiny new Yellowbee!
You're having a F--**g laugh aren't you ... this is an update of the Hobbyzone or Parkzone Swift ..... worst piece of complete 5h1te I ever owned!!

Surely the title should read WORST????

If it was April 1st and I saw this maybe I could understand but it's not!

Bear in mind the same company produced the Super Cub that was iconic ..... there's a reason virtually no-one has ever heard of this poor excuse for a turd and someone's make the mistake of trying to polishing it by adding another motor which won't come close to addressing the underlying problems.

Hobbyzone Swift (2 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Witterings; Aug 17, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Aug 17, 2017, 02:45 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
I own the yellowbee and fly it regularly at my club.. It's marketed as a beginner plane but it actually takes a lot of skill to fly it well. I've had zero issues with mine and the price is amazing for what you get.. Why the hate?
Aug 17, 2017, 04:14 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I own the yellowbee and fly it regularly at my club.. It's marketed as a beginner plane but it actually takes a lot of skill to fly it well. I've had zero issues with mine and the price is amazing for what you get.. Why the hate?

Firstly for exactly the reason you said and Hobbyzone marketed it as a beginners plane and it's definitely not, you try and bring it in for a slow floaty landing and it'll drop a wing faster like a whore's drawers with a million dollars on offer.

I can't remember the detail of all the other problems (it was 8/10 yrs ago I had one) but I think it was the servo for the tail that failed, I took it into the hobby shop I bought it from and 3 very experienced modelers working in the shop eventually gave up trying to repair it ... there was also a real problem re-connecting something through the boom to the rear, I think it was getting the pushrod onto the servo as you couldn't tilt the unit to get the Z bend in as there was absolutely no space but it may have been something el

It had a warped wing when I bought it, they ordered a replacement .... guess what ... it was warped!!!!

Apart from the fact it didn't fly nicely there were at least 2 or 3 other problems with it that again I had other people from the local flying club check out in case it was me and they said it wasn't .... one of the things I remember was hand launching it and it didn't want to go up ... only down .... checked trim etc (had others check it as well) and eventually just gave in and binned it.

I have forgotten what the other issues were but at the end of the day there are much nicer planes that are easier to fly and fly much better, are easier to repair and you're not stuck with parts that are pretty much bespoke to one aircraft but are transferable.

Sorry don't mean to be such a Johnny downer but whenever I see a thread with the worst plane you've ever had this is the one that immediately springs to mind and I've had quite a lot of planes ... not all of them good .... but none anywhere near as bad as this.

EDIT: Not sure if I'm allowed to cross contaminate from one forum to another but if it's OK herewith a link to something I posted many years ago
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...s-3-print.html
Aug 17, 2017, 04:40 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Well the video of the swift shows it flying extremely well. I want one!
Aug 17, 2017, 04:58 PM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
Any airplane can be made to fly well. Failure to do so is a failure of the modeler.
Aug 17, 2017, 05:23 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Yeah, witterings is just a bad pilot!
Aug 17, 2017, 05:27 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Well the video of the swift shows it flying extremely well. I want one!
I could fly one just as smoothly as that, it doesn't change the fact the things complete C*-p compared to anything else you can buy.

Shame I threw mine in the bin ... you could of had it for nothing ... if you paid the postage!
Aug 17, 2017, 05:27 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Yeah, witterings is just a bad pilot!
Shows how little you know!

What's warped wings and impossible to repair got to do with piloting skills?

You haven't got the rights to sell them or something have you because I can't see any other reason anyone would ever want to defend them?
Last edited by Witterings; Aug 17, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Aug 17, 2017, 05:39 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
I'm just confirming what WJH said.. It's not the plane, it's the modeler.. The yellowbee is a fine RC airplane. You probably spilled glue on yours or something
Aug 17, 2017, 05:40 PM
The OP was expressing an opinion based on his experience with it and he thought it was good plane.
It would seem Witterings had a bad experience and claims it is the worst plane ever.

It appears you just can't take any forum posts too seriously.
Aug 17, 2017, 05:43 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Witterings did something to his to screw it up.. Just watch the video he posted... What's not to like?
Aug 17, 2017, 06:21 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I'm just confirming what WJH said.. It's not the plane, it's the modeler.. The yellowbee is a fine RC airplane. You probably spilled glue on yours or something
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Witterings did something to his to screw it up.. Just watch the video he posted... What's not to like?
Ooh for goodness sake you're desperate ... trying to insinuate I put glue on something that isn't required for it's assembly .... seriously

You've just totally discredited yourself with that one desperate comment!

If it was such a great plane ... why did the largest RC retailer discontinue it within a year when they have other planes that started before and they're still in production now ... It was crap so it didn't sell.

You didn't answer if you have a vested interest in these ... that is a direct question because to come in with the title best plane in 2017 and the defend a pile of junk whilst trying to discredit someone who could easily be a demonstration pilot for any major RC retailer would make anyone question why ?

Give me a turd and I'll make it fly nicely for the camera .... doesn't change the fact it's still a turd and you'd never spend money buying one!
Aug 17, 2017, 06:39 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
P.S. - If you wonder why I come out so strongly, people have a certain amount of money to spend.

I bought mine and made comments in other threads when I was earning an incredibly good income and money was no object ..... to buy something at this level and chuck it away didn't matter as I could afford another the same day.

That said ... irrespective of your income I've always been against companies hyping up products that are complete 5h1te to get people to buy them just so they can take the money from your pocket and they can put it in theirs.

Find a really good product ... make it that bit more expensive but give the buyer something that's decent and quality .. that person may scrape together and save for months to buy something and if it's quality I will endorse and tell other people it's brilliant.

For that same person to save up and buy junk due to it's marketing saying it's amasing ... how long is it going to take them to then save up and buy something that's decent and I have always had a major problem with things being miss sold!

I've fallen on much harder times recently so whilst I never forgot values and other people's situations in the good days and I can relate to them even more now.

I found another thread here I participated in and very few people say anything positive about it ... go find the Super Cub forum .. it clogged down their database and they had to keep re-listing as there were so many followers.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...IFT-RTF-Review
Aug 17, 2017, 06:51 PM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
I could fly one just as smoothly as that, it doesn't change the fact the things complete C*-p compared to anything else you can buy.

Shame I threw mine in the bin ... you could of had it for nothing ... if you paid the postage!
When I say it's the failure of the modeler, I am not referring to "stick and rudder" skills. I am talking about performing surgery to fix the design, so it flies well. This used to be a required skill to enjoy the hobby.
Aug 17, 2017, 07:04 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
O.K.. I'm going to see to it that the yellowbee will have a price reduction soon. We are looking for demo pilots as a matter of fact. The pay isn't very good and you have to travel at your own expense (USA) but the rewards of introducing the yellowbee to aspiring pilots is very rewarding.... PM me if interested, it could help out a little with your financial situation?
Aug 17, 2017, 07:15 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Here's one of MANY reviews I found online......
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Plane flies great
Submitted 2 years ago
By Dave
From Bridgton Me.

Verified Buyer
This model plane flies great and is well worth the price.
More Details

Describe Yourself
Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend to a friend
Aug 17, 2017, 07:50 PM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Here's one of MANY reviews I found online......
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Plane flies great
Submitted 2 years ago
By Dave
From Bridgton Me.

Verified Buyer
This model plane flies great and is well worth the price.
More Details

Describe Yourself
Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend to a friend
I think you need to attach one of your 10s power systems to it, and video record the outcome
Aug 17, 2017, 08:31 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
It's built very well but I think 10s would be too much
Aug 17, 2017, 09:00 PM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
I used to have one of those planes. Lost it when a gust came up and blew it down the beach where folks who shouldn't are playing volleyball and other activities without any clothes. No way I was going to walk into that situation. Even now I have nightmares about what I saw that day.

I think people get upset by the pure inexpensive genius of this plane. Once before the beach incident I showed up at the local field with her. While setting her up there were a couple of guys with their gliders in the air occasionally looking over in my direction and snickering. Despite their passive hostility I finished getting her ready and put her in the air.

About 4 minutes into the flight one of the pilots started hollering at me that I needed to get my plane down as he needed to bring his in and didn't want to risk colliding his glider with my cheap toy. I responded that I only had a few more minutes till the battery was depleted at which time he could land. He then blew up and started hollering I was going to make him exceed his 9 minute flight time limit that was imposed by the FAA, AMA, FFA and 4H.

I reluctantly complied and he set his plane down, snatched it off the field, walked it back and set it on the tailgate of his truck. Thinking I was good to go I put my yellowbee back in the air when a voice started booming a few feet behind me. "How dare you bring that garbage to the field and risk our expensive planes!" He went on and asked "Where did you get that anyways? The toy rack at the local am/pm?" I began to answer when he broke in and started hollering "My plane cost me $2011.84... I love it more than women... what do you think of that?" I replied "You're very specific and there are websites on the internet that cater to your special dating needs."

By this time I had my plane back on the ground and had turned around to face him where I could see by his beet red complexion and slobber dripping out his mouth that he was very upset with me. He started to approach as if to push me when a gust of wind came up and a crash could be heard by the parking area. I glanced over and he whipped his head around just in time to witness his plane cartwheel behind a car that was backing out when a sickening crunch was heard and the commotion suddenly stopped. Angry man cried out and then started back to inspect the damage which ended our interaction for the day.

In case anyone has anything to say about my post I probably should explain that the story is all true except for the last 5 paragraphs
Aug 17, 2017, 09:12 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Most excellent post in recent history, thank you for contributing Freddy
Aug 17, 2017, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I used to have one of those planes. Lost it when a gust came up and blew it down the beach where folks who shouldn't are playing volleyball and other activities without any clothes. No way I was going to walk into that situation. Even now I have nightmares about what I saw that day.

I think people get upset by the pure inexpensive genius of this plane. Once before the beach incident I showed up at the local field with her. While setting her up there were a couple of guys with their gliders in the air occasionally looking over in my direction and snickering. Despite their passive hostility I finished getting her ready and put her in the air.

About 4 minutes into the flight one of the pilots started hollering at me that I needed to get my plane down as he needed to bring his in and didn't want to risk colliding his glider with my cheap toy. I responded that I only had a few more minutes till the battery was depleted at which time he could land. He then blew up and started hollering I was going to make him exceed his 9 minute flight time limit that was imposed by the FAA, AMA, FFA and 4H.

I reluctantly complied and he set his plane down, snatched it off the field, walked it back and set it on the tailgate of his truck. Thinking I was good to go I put my yellowbee back in the air when a voice started booming a few feet behind me. "How dare you bring that garbage to the field and risk our expensive planes!" He went on and asked "Where did you get that anyways? The toy rack at the local am/pm?" I began to answer when he broke in and started hollering "My plane cost me $2011.84... I love it more than women... what do you think of that?" I replied "You're very specific and there are websites on the internet that cater to your special dating needs."

By this time I had my plane back on the ground and had turned around to face him where I could see by his beet red complexion and slobber dripping out his mouth that he was very upset with me. He started to approach as if to push me when a gust of wind came up and a crash could be heard by the parking area. I glanced over and he whipped his head around just in time to witness his plane cartwheel behind a car that was backing out when a sickening crunch was heard and the commotion suddenly stopped. Angry man cried out and then started back to inspect the damage which ended our interaction for the day.

In case anyone has anything to say about my post I probably should explain that the story is all true except for the last 5 paragraphs
I have a publisher who would like you to write his next novel.
Aug 17, 2017, 11:45 PM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
It's good because it possibly could be true

Quick Reply