New Ezio Electric Sailplanes from HobbyKing - RC Groups

New Ezio Electric Sailplanes from HobbyKing

HobbyKing has a couple of new electric gliders available for those on a budget or looking for simple easy soaring. There are two models available, an 800mm wingspan version and a 1500mm version.

Splash

Affordable Electric Gliders

HobbyKing has a couple of new electric gliders available for those on a budget or looking for simple easy soaring. There are two models available, an 800mm wingspan version and a 1500mm version. Both models are built from balsa wood and are plug and play ready. You only need to add a battery, install your receiver, attach the wing and go fly. The 800mm version requires a 2S 500mAH lipo and it comes with an 1811-3900kv motor and 6A ESC pre-installed as well as two 4.3g servos. The 1500mm version has a 2212-900kv motor with a 20A ESC and 4 servos. It requires a 3S 1300mAH lipo. The 800mm version is listed at $77.76 and the 1500mm is $129.47.

Features:

• Lightweight construction
  • Plug-in wires
  • Included decal stickers
  • Fast and simple assembly
  • Compatible with 2.4Ghz radios (4 channels and up)
  • Instruction Manual

Ezio 800mm Specs:

• Length: 660mm
  • Wingspan: 800mm
  • Flying Weight: 220g
  • Servos: 4.3 x 2pcs
  • Motor: 1811 3900KV
  • ESC: 6A
  • Folding Propeller: 3x2
  • Elevator: 8-12mm
  • Aileron: 10-12mm

Ezio 1500 Specs:

• Length: 800mm
  • Wingspan: 1500mm
  • Flying Weight: 590g
  • Servos: 9g x 2; 4.3g x 2
  • Motor: 2212 900KV
  • ESC: 20A
  • Folding Propeller: 8x6
  • Centre Gravity: 49mm

Check out the new Ezio Electric Sailplanes here

Aug 16, 2017, 11:09 AM
Build and rebuild
These look pretty neat! I'm especially curious about the smaller, 800mm wingspan, sub-250g version.

Never seen a 3x2 folding prop before. Probably would have preferred a lower-KV motor and larger diameter prop, for efficiency as well as quieter sound. Guess we'll have to wait and "see" (hear) what the 3x2 prop sounds like IRL, since the promotional video drowns everything in electronica.

H-King EZIO Gliders (PNP) - HobbyKing Product Video (2 min 4 sec)
Aug 16, 2017, 12:55 PM
Former Head of Video/Promo Mg
Here's some more info on these:
HKing EZ10 Gliders - Product Profile - HobbyKing Live (17 min 23 sec)
Aug 18, 2017, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
These look pretty neat! I'm especially curious about the smaller, 800mm wingspan, sub-250g version.

Never seen a 3x2 folding prop before. Probably would have preferred a lower-KV motor and larger diameter prop, for efficiency as well as quieter sound. Guess we'll have to wait and "see" (hear) what the 3x2 prop sounds like IRL, since the promotional video drowns everything in electronica.
The prop size seems ok for the plane size. But what's the wing area for this plane?
It seems not much bigger than the 800mm FMS Gider and the FMS weight is 150g.
220g seems in this case to heavy for a good performance.
Aug 18, 2017, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli
The prop size seems ok for the plane size. But what's the wing area for this plane?
It seems not much bigger than the 800mm FMS Gider and the FMS weight is 150g.
220g seems in this case to heavy for a good performance.
Seems a bit heavy to me as well - my 80cm balsa Crossbow weighs 165g ready to fly. Interesting to see though that it has ailerons. Maybe a sort of mini-hotliner??
Aug 19, 2017, 02:09 AM
Thought on was a 2m oh well not interested then
Aug 21, 2017, 04:05 AM
Just got it AND>>>>>>the recommended battery doesn't fit! Got a 460MAH 2 cell Nano tech, and it's too wide for the bay.

There doesn't seem to be a 2 cell available that will fit (the 360MAH Rhino would, but they are out of stock), so I can't find a way to get mine flying.

Typical HK- roll the dice, take your chances......
Aug 21, 2017, 09:57 AM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoW
Just got it AND>>>>>>the recommended battery doesn't fit! Got a 460MAH 2 cell Nano tech, and it's too wide for the bay.

There doesn't seem to be a 2 cell available that will fit (the 360MAH Rhino would, but they are out of stock), so I can't find a way to get mine flying.

Aw just tape the batt on it and get some flyin' in. When ya bust it up rebuild with a bigger box.
Aug 21, 2017, 10:26 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:

So you need help finding a battery? What's the maximum width? Where are you located?
Aug 21, 2017, 10:41 AM
Got mine today - only my 350 mAh Lemon Lipos fits in the narrow fuselage - anyway...
AOW is 171 g - not so bad. I had 4 flights and what to say? Well, she flys not so bad, flight time was 10 to 15 minutes , we had a bit of thermals this afternoon. Sheīs very rigid,once she wanted to disappear in a thermal and I only got her back with rolling circles, loops and speedy flights - nothing broke - big fun!
But one thing is very bad : this prop is ridiculous, much noise,bad performance. OK - she draws only 5,8 A static , but you have to fly full throttle all the time. I had 3:30 min motor time with my (old) lemons.
Now I changed to 5x3 prop ( plastic,HK,not the best) - but much more thrust .She draws now more than 7 A - just charging the lipo ,try it out today or tomorrow.
With the lemons I donīt need any lead to get the correct CG.
The servos are surprisingly good: emax digital, in my package the horizontal stabilizer was broken, no job to fix.
My verdict : could be good after some mods, we will see.
Why does HK recommand lipos which donīt fit in the fuselage? Because they are I****s (censored by myself).
enjoy all your flights and hello from sunny germany Rainer
Aug 22, 2017, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
So you need help finding a battery? What's the maximum width? Where are you located?
Max width about 26mm

I'm in Australia.

Shouldn't HAVE to search, HK put recommended batteries on the product page- they just don't fit!!!
Aug 22, 2017, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Max width about 26mm

I'm in Australia.

Shouldn't HAVE to search, HK put recommended batteries on the product page- they just don't fit!!!
Must have been spotted on here as they've been changed for smaller one's

Long live the eagle-eyed RCG watchdogs Lol
Aug 27, 2017, 04:55 AM

Air brake

Please, how can I program air brake in this ESC? Thanks a lot
Aug 31, 2017, 12:58 AM
So where exactly have people made the CoG position work? I managed to get a 610mah Rhino into the front bay. I did this by removing the protective wrapped which is a huge risk I know. Anyway - all up weight was 182g but the CoG was way too tail heavy. Insert 20g in the nose and the CoG is now where the notch under the wing. Now flies a bit nose heavy.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:26 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
I just got one of these on sale. Since I actually have a good bit of experience flying these, I didn't fuss with Hobbyking's instructions and left the CG at 50% of root chord with the little 2s 350 I stuck in it. That CG is perfectly fine. I cannot comprehend why HK would recommend it further forward than that. Maidened it in more wind than I normally would and frankly it handles the wind fine. The included prop doesn't produce hotliner performance, but a 45 degree climb is gracious plenty for an entry level glider. Wind penetration is superb, as is handling. I'd put this up against any low cost glider out there. It's far better than any Radian could ever hope to be.

Now the bad part. I was just giving short 5-10 second motor runs to feel the plane out, but when I decided to open it up, 20 seconds into a full throttle climb, the motor shut down on me. Ok, maybe voltage sag. Fine, let it float around and power up again later. Well not so much. Second time it shut down, it took everything with it. Total lockout. Planted it in from 150 ft up. Fortunately it hit soft ground so there was very little damage other than the wing splitting at the center dihedral break. My guess is that under load, the BEC shuts down if the voltage drops significantly. This is completely unacceptable on an electric sailplane where we deal in short bursts of high power. Sad to have this on a plane that really flies extremely well and would be absolutely awesome for beginners.