Aug 16, 2017, 12:34 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Build Log

Misuri Pusher Tug

This will be about a cool little pusher tug called the "Misuri". This was first featured in Flying Models magazine about April of 1977. The design and magazine article was by Gerald Julian. At the time I had been thinking about building something I could use for retrieving and rescuing my other boats. I saw this and it looked perfect for the job. I bought the magazine, took it home and started building the boat from the plan pictures and information in the magazine.

Money was tight in those days so I planned to build it from what ever I had around the house, so what was purchased to build the boat was kept to a minimum. And it looked like a project that I could build quickly. A good bit of the work was done back in the 70's to build the boat but it never got finished. It did get to a point that it was put into a lake and test run several times, but it still needed a lot of work to finish it. Life took over, the boat was put away, it was carried it thru a couple of moves, it got banged up a bit but I always thought I would get around to finishing it some day.

Fast forward almost 40 years to about Nov. 2014 when I decide to get the boat out of the attic and try to finish it.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2017, 12:39 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Here are a few pictures that I took of the boat right after it was taken out of the attic. This is pretty much the condition it stayed in for almost 40 years.
Aug 16, 2017, 12:58 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
The motor is a Dumas 6 volt motor which is still in the boat today. It originally had a World Radio 2 channel 27Mhz radio system with a dumas 6 volt speed controller. It now has a 2.4Ghz radio, new ESC, new digital rudder servo and LED lighting.

The Popsicle stick in the photos is where the wheel house sets and was there to hold the receiver antenna.
Aug 16, 2017, 01:23 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
The boat was built almost entirely of wood paneling. There are 2 different types of paneling. One was Mahogany and the other was particle board. The other parts like the engine cover, the front steps and the pilot house roof were made out of poster board. The hull is almost shaped just like a box. The plans weren't like this but I wanted this to be a quick build. On the sides aft, under the deck are 2 blocks of foam and foam blocks were put in the space forward. The blocks forward have been replaced with a more water proof foam, but the 2 blocks aft are there to stay. When these pictures were taken I had already removed the original pilot house roof because it was too badly damaged and I replaced it with a new one also made out of poster board.

Now I need to take some new pictures to show what it looks like now.
Aug 16, 2017, 02:52 AM
Always liked the Misuri here is my Springer / Misuri.
Aug 16, 2017, 09:21 AM
Here is the page from the original article. Take it to Kinko's and have them printed full size using the scale on the bottom to find the ratio if the plans are not available from FM anymore. jerryj98501
Aug 16, 2017, 09:50 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Shipshed, very nice looking boat. I can definitely see the Misuri influence there. We should get together and run ours. I am planning on starting to paint the final area of the hull today, from the water line up. I may take it and run it this weekend. We have a few lakes in my neighborhood and I might be getting together with another boater this weekend to run some boats here. He is just finishing a Dravo tug and we talked about getting together this weekend.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:00 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Here are some pictures that I just took of the mostly finished fore deck and pilot house. Right now I am still planning to put in some window and I have a steering wheel to go inside the pilot house. It has LED running lights and interior lighting in the pilot house. I will probably add more details to the pilot house interior and maybe a few extra details to the outside also.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:02 AM
boat butcher
Lookin' good .

Mark
Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Here are a few more of the before pictures. I thought I had already posted these but here you can see what the fore deck and pilot house looked like before.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:39 AM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Here are some more pictures that I just took. This is of the rear deck center section that is removable. The front is held down under a lip that it is inserted under and the rear is held down by some nylon screws. In the photos the nylon screws are black, I think I have some white nylon screws just like these that probably would look better on the white deck. The stack was made from a block of balsa. The engine cover is poster board covered with resin. The receiver is mounted on the underside of this deck and one of the antennas goes up inside the engine house vertically and the other antenna is mounted horizontally to the underside of the deck. The radio I am using is a Flysky I6 and the receiver has dual antennas and provides telemetry data for receiver battery voltage. For power I am going to use four 7.2volt NIMH battery packs hooked up in parallel. The ESC was purchased on eBay from China and provides BEC power to the receiver.

I will take some pictures of the rest of the boat later after I have finished painting the hull. Right now it is covered with masking tape and newspaper for painting.
Aug 16, 2017, 03:16 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
I want to see her when she's done..this is a neat project, glad you're bringing her back into the light.
Aug 16, 2017, 05:05 PM
I also am glad to see this model come back to life. It is a great little running model. jerryj98501
Aug 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
Sailor what part of town are you in ?
Aug 16, 2017, 08:28 PM
Just Sailing along
Thread OP
Thanks Jerry

I have enjoyed finishing up this really nice boat that I started so many years ago. I now wish that I had started it with better material and built it more like the plans. I was really trying to cut a lot of corners and I think it actually made more work for me when I decided to make it look a lot nicer than what I was originally going to end up with. Back then we didn't have the internet and access to the knowledge that we do now. I always try to gather as much information about my models as I can and I can't believe that after all this time to have the designer of the boat contact me. That has been special.

I was looking back thru some of the pictures that I have gathered searching for information about the Misuri and I did find pictures of a few other boats. I bet there were actually a lot more than what we know of.

I should be finished with most of the paint work pretty soon but I have a few ideas for more details to add that will make it look even better. So I will still be working on it to make it even better.

Quick Reply