Horten brothers CG - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 16, 2017, 01:08 AM
Discussion

Horten brothers CG

I was watching a video of the Horten VI and am wondering how the brothers got their CG forward enough. When you look at the sweep, plus the pilot's body stretched almost the full chord, plus the skid hanging at the rear of the plane, it's unbelievable that they got their balance right, at least without massive nose ballast. It would seem a shame to have such a sleek design and then add a million pounds of nose weight. Anyone know how it was done?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2017, 01:27 AM
Actually, now that I do a basic calculator on a rough guess of the dimensions, it doesn't look bad at all. With the rc wings it seems like it's always a battle to keep the CG forward enough. It looks like with the long, high aspect ratio wings the CG was far enough back that the entire cockpit was forward of it.
Oct 25, 2017, 08:31 PM
You guessed correctly.
MASSIVE nose ballastings. Alegedly 300 + Kgs in the Horten Ix.
They were lesser Aero designers than nostalgia suggests.
Lippisch on the other hand, was v good.