First good flights - RC Groups
Aug 15, 2017, 11:16 PM
Discussion

First good flights

Well, I finally got some decent flights with my 120s and new radio (DX6e). There's a big difference between the stock radio and the DX6e regarding the enjoyment of flying this bird (especially with some expo added). I feel like I'm in control now. I've noticed a few differences between this and the mCX2. First, there's a bit of inertia (I hope that's the appropriate term) generated by this bird, I have to 'put on the brakes' when coming to a stop (mCX2 stops on a dime). I'm also having to contend with another factor I never had to with my mCX2: wind. The winds weren't too bad and the bird flew well, however I noticed the workload has increased while flying in slightly windy conditions. I had a question regarding the motors. How long do these last? They work well, however they're brushed, so ...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2017, 09:42 AM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKB
Well, I finally got some decent flights with my 120s and new radio (DX6e). There's a big difference between the stock radio and the DX6e regarding the enjoyment of flying this bird (especially with some expo added). I feel like I'm in control now. I've noticed a few differences between this and the mCX2. First, there's a bit of inertia (I hope that's the appropriate term) generated by this bird, I have to 'put on the brakes' when coming to a stop (mCX2 stops on a dime). I'm also having to contend with another factor I never had to with my mCX2: wind. The winds weren't too bad and the bird flew well, however I noticed the workload has increased while flying in slightly windy conditions. I had a question regarding the motors. How long do these last? They work well, however they're brushed, so ...
I changed my last main motor around 300 something flights. It had gotten to the point where around 3:30 mins of flight it barely had enough power to maintain lift. I put a new motor in and it went back to normal. Ordered and put a new spare in the box. Only $12.

I haven't changed a tail motor yet but have a couple boom/motor combo's in the spares box. One is flying with a repaired boom that split. The split straw boom cover hides the CA nicely.
Aug 16, 2017, 10:35 AM
Destroyer of Threads
In my limited experience, I have found that the Blade brushed motors outlast your willpower to refrain from
buying something bigger / better / faster.

My son and myself went through a ton of tail motors on our mCPX, but only due to crashes.

Our Nano QX has been beaten without mercy, and the electronics and motors are all original.
Aug 16, 2017, 10:57 AM
rocket horse and jet chicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKB
First, there's a bit of inertia (I hope that's the appropriate term) generated by this bird, I have to 'put on the brakes' when coming to a stop (mCX2 stops on a dime). I'm also having to contend with another factor I never had to with my mCX2: wind. The winds weren't too bad and the bird flew well, however I noticed the workload has increased while flying in slightly windy conditions.
You'll see more of that as you move up the ranks. When you get to a CP heli you'll find it just wants to keep going once you get it moving. Fixed pitch can be a bit of a handful in the wind since it does not have near as much control authority as CP. You'll be limited by wind even with CP, but less so than fixed pitch. I've taken helis out in too much wind (as most heli pilots have) and you spend all your effort just fighting the wind, not much fun. The big models do the best in wind, but you need the experience and flying space for them.
Aug 16, 2017, 04:54 PM
Heligamist
There is a world of difference flying with a RTF radio and a nice programmable radio with decent gimbels. I have my big and small CP birds but still keep the FP's around for easy backyard circuits. With the trees and house as wind blocks I can fly around the back yard even on windy days. For the bigger ones I have to walk past the trees to the field. The 120S's are durable 1S heli's and if I need a bit more in a FP there is the 200S.

Today with fall approaching I got reminded of how the bee's start going a bit nutz.
Aug 16, 2017, 08:54 PM
Took the Heli out about an hour ago, winds were light, however not zero. If I go out at night, when the winds speeds are very low (4 to 6 km/h) I'm fairly confident when flying. However, a little bit of wind (10 to 19 km/h) and I'm all over the place. I'm using flight mode 1 (easiest), no dual rates and expos set at 20% (aileron), 20% (elevator) and 10% (rudder). The heli has enough power to fly through these winds (I've seen people on Youtube flying in much windier conditions, clearly hearing the wind passing the microphones). I'm going to try and fly at some of our local baseball/soccer fields that are lit up at night, since winds are usually very calm after sunset. Anyhow, I'm not the only 'wet behind the ears flier' dealing with Mother Nature. Any tips would appreciated.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:55 PM
I haven't been able to fly the 120s in a larger space yet, however I'm noticing that I'm having to use the controls to keep it tracking totally straight, in very low wind. It goes where I want it to, however I do have to input some rudder to keep the nose pointed where I want it to. I know this isn't a coax, thus it won't be as stable. I'm still using flight mode 1 (beginner). Is it normal to have to keep given it input control to keep it tracking straight? Thanks.
Aug 17, 2017, 12:26 AM
Heligamist
Make sure you trim it out by adjusting the linkages and not using any trim or sub-trim in the radio. I've had to do that to every one I've touched. Adjust until you achieve a near hands off hover. (Nothing is ever hands off forever).
Aug 17, 2017, 04:55 AM
the mcx2 is a very light but stable heli because its coaxial. theres no wieght either so it will quickly return to neutral if you let got he controls.

the 120s depending on what flight mode you use will be much more manouverable, althnough it should still self level but may need some input to stop drifting. if your flying in advanced mode where self leveling is off you will need to brake by tilting the heli to counter momentum.
Aug 23, 2017, 12:53 PM
There's a good analogy comparing the stability of coaxial helicopters with CP Helis. Take a bowl and put a ball bearing in it. Move the bowl around, and the ball returns to the bottom. That's a coaxial Heli. Now take the bowl and turn it upside down and put the ball on top and and try and keep it from rolling off. That's a CP Heli. A FP Heli is somewhere in between.
Aug 31, 2017, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helique
There's a good analogy comparing the stability of coaxial helicopters with CP Helis. Take a bowl and put a ball bearing in it. Move the bowl around, and the ball returns to the bottom. That's a coaxial Heli. Now take the bowl and turn it upside down and put the ball on top and and try and keep it from rolling off. That's a CP Heli. A FP Heli is somewhere in between.

exactly and when your flying you are controlling momementing by changing the balance of the disc.
Sep 28, 2017, 04:01 PM
Hi CrazyKB and all other posters,

To your original question, I can say that my 120s (fabulous flyer IMHO) has well over 300 flights and no problems so far in the motors or in any other part.

I must say I was also somewhat concerned with the motor's life as they are brushed but so far so good. I am also using a DX6e radio.

This heli tends to be tail heavy and I changed the installation of the "forward" servo horn to allow more forward tilt of the main rotor.

Several bad reviews that this heli has had make no justice at all to a superb model that can be a fantastic tool to progress without fear and high costs.

You will find that you can use very limited indoor spaces to make circuits once you get more practice.

Hope to post soon a short video clip of yours truly flying circuits with this machine in a small indoor room.
Cheers

Joao
Last edited by joao; Sep 28, 2017 at 04:07 PM.