Nov 18, 2019, 04:06 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1
What keeps the cone on under power?
Tight fit.

Actually, the receiver is on top of the d48's. This forces the cone to be centered. I put a tape around the ring on which the cone slides to make a perfect fit.

It's more than enough to keep things together.

Revolution F5K conversion maiden flight (0 min 52 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l shems
Tight fit.

Actually, the receiver is on top of the d48's. This forces the cone to be centered. I put a tape around the ring on which the cone slides to make a perfect fit.

It's more than enough to keep things together.

https://youtu.be/rHXhHsETo0s
Thats awosome!!
Modeling at its finest, good job!!
Jan 01, 2020, 03:36 AM
Brent Lytle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l shems
There is really not much to build.

I created a 10 mm ply disc with the same size as the motor back, and cut the cone front so that it fits exactly in the cone. Cut off the motor struts. Screwed the disc on the back of the motor.
Flatten one side of the disc a little to have a passage for the motor wires.

Solder the motor wires directly on the ESC. The battery leads should be long enough to stick out of the back of the cone.

Then put the motor in its place, predrill at least three holes perpendicular through the cone into the disc, and secure the motor with small screws.

All the rest is just cabling.

Materials used:

castle-creation-talon-15A 2-4s 15A 3-8A bec
turnigy-nano-tech-450mah-2s-65c-lipo-e-flite-compatible-blade-130x
GRAUPNER SPARE PROP BLADE CAM FOLDING PROP 7,5/4
GRAUPNER CAM FOLDING PROP 6/3 3,2MM SPEED 480
Cobra Motor C-2203-28 E36-F1S, Kv = 2800Kv,
Thanks For the info. You made it sound easy, I am not as quick of a builder as you, it took me all day to get it done, with 3 different iterations on layout and wiring. eventually I settled on putting the G-RX6 in the ballast tube and running the ESC cabling above the servos. It is still a challenge to get everything all closed up, but it all fits. I am putting a piece of tape between the nose cone and the fuselage because I don’t want to take any chances with the nose departing the rest of the glider (just cheap insurance)

I ran with the 6x3 prop on 2S and the power meter is at 75-80W full throttle. The chart says I’ll get approx 336g thrust at 7.4V. It certainly felt like it.

I had to put about 10g on the tail to get the CG back where it was before the modifications.

Radio setup: On Taranis X9D, I used the same program I’m using for F3K, but added Throttle on the right slider. All modes except “Zoom” disable the motor. I also added a logical switch that disables the motor above a pre-selected altitude. My intent is to fly F3K tasks with it including quick turns. Should be a fun experiment.

AUW : 309g - Ouch.
Last edited by blytle; Jan 01, 2020 at 03:42 AM.
Jan 01, 2020, 05:28 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blytle
Thanks For the info. You made it sound easy, I am not as quick of a builder as you, it took me all day to get it done, with 3 different iterations on layout and wiring. eventually I settled on putting the G-RX6 in the ballast tube and running the ESC cabling above the servos. It is still a challenge to get everything all closed up, but it all fits. I am putting a piece of tape between the nose cone and the fuselage because I don’t want to take any chances with the nose departing the rest of the glider (just cheap insurance)

I ran with the 6x3 prop on 2S and the power meter is at 75-80W full throttle. The chart says I’ll get approx 336g thrust at 7.4V. It certainly felt like it.

I had to put about 10g on the tail to get the CG back where it was before the modifications.

Radio setup: On Taranis X9D, I used the same program I’m using for F3K, but added Throttle on the right slider. All modes except “Zoom” disable the motor. I also added a logical switch that disables the motor above a pre-selected altitude. My intent is to fly F3K tasks with it including quick turns. Should be a fun experiment.

AUW : 309g - Ouch.
I'm working on a special setup for the taranis.

If interested, check the basic concept at www.justfly.solutions .

The version I'm working on has motor run time, altitude limiter and arming combined. It will trigger the timer app at release, and stop the motor at height, time, or pushover.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:15 AM
Brent Lytle
Thanks! I’ll check out your “F5K” (or whatever electric DLGs are) program.

After flying and liking the electric Revolution, I decided to invest a little work into making the fit work better and get a better weight.

I did a lot of soldering and careful fitting of a motor disconnect system, but I’m very happy with the result and the overall drop of 20g and a much better CG of 68mm.

Quick Reply