This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 15, 2017, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

layers and direction of wind

when i took meteorology i did reports of wind direction at several heights. i learned that wind moves horizontally in layers, that sometimes move in different directions, and therefore you may find your plane changing direction due to this. it is particularly more noticeable when flying gliders, that are trimmed for detecting subtle changes in the wind, be horizontal, or vertical. i have witnessed this frequently, and yesterday it was even more clear.
the wind at ground level was easterly, but when climbed to 100 meters (320 ft) the plane changed direction by wind blowing from the south. and i could see the clouds above moving from the west. my plane was no that high, but when came down to the 100 meters level, it fell into the ground level layer from the east and changed direction again.
it is what those who fly balloons use to change direction by climbing or descending depending of the direction of the wind in those layers.
fascinating matters of the air....
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 11, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply