Nov 02, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP

My Wattage Cub 400EP Wing Folded today!

What can I say, It was a beautiful day! A great day to fly the Cub I recently finished. I gathered it up, went to the field at the end of the block, installed the battery and wing, made sure it was balanced, and launched. WoW! The 3 to 1 MP Jet gear box on a speed 400 with a 10x7 prop gives this plane power. So much that I had to add down trim to keep it from stalling at 1/4 power. Nice first flight. I landed the plane went to lunch and came back for the second pack. I also made some elevator adjustments. Second Flight was good... level flight! So, I did a loop. Cool!!!! Such power, how about a second one!!! Nice!!! Wait a minute, the plane is falling from the sky!! Death Spiral!!!! Why can't I throttle out of this. I have no control over the plane! Thunk!!! The wing folded right at the center built up portion, the cowl, motor, and mounts ripped off the front. The damage wasn't that bad considering the 100 foot plummet that the plane did. I will probably be able to fix the damage, (Already fixed the wing, just have to recover the spot. I don't think this plane can handle loops too well. The wood near the center of the wing seems a bit weak. Oh Well, live and learn. I do love this setup, and would recomend it to any one out there looking for a scale J-3 Cub. (I guess I have a winter fix project now. I'm just not used to crashing.) Here's a before picture, Sorry no after picture
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2004, 04:48 PM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Here are some pictures off the carnage. I should feel lucky that it wasn't worse. I think I can repair this damage, as I consider it to be minor. First off the wing folded right behind the leading edge and its supporting spar, between the two center ribs. I have wicked some thin ca into the breaks and they lined up perfectly and seem to be strong. I have thought about recovering the entire wing again, and maybe adding some light ply to the center for added strength. As for the fuse, you can see, the firewall is slightly cracked, and the 2 motor mount posts have ripped off. One of them ripped right in the middle and still is supported and attached to the second brace in the fuse, the other ripped away from that second internal brace and remains intact. I think I may modify the firewall and mount the new motor directly to that instead of using the 2 sticks. The third internal brace also dislodged, but can probably be repaired with some thin ca and alignment. The cowl also ripped off and there is some wood damage to the light ply. It probably can be fixed with filler. I have thought about removing the covering from this plane entirely, and using a new color scheme. I have a cream and burgundy, or cream and blue scheme in mind. (Frankly, I need some more practice covering planes. This is the perfect opportunity for practice.) I also think that I burnt the motor upon impact. It has some charred coloring on the windings, and smokes when you run it.
I should be happy that the damage is light. This plane had the wing fold at about 100 feet and did a death spiral to the ground. I think the cowl and motor took the majority of the impact, leaving the fuse intact with minor damage. The greatest damage was to the motor mounts. To tell you the truth, although this crash was unfortunate, it did look pretty cool when it was happening. It also gave me that adrenaline high that you get when things go wrong. Eight seconds of shear terror making my day complete. I will try to post some pictures over the next few weeks or months to show the progress. I think I may make an access door on the bottom of the fuse for the battery, and come up with some kind of battery box. The stock way is a bit cheap and hard to get at. (Not to mention the center divider where the battery mount is ripped away in the crash!!!)
Nov 07, 2004, 06:42 PM
Landing is fun!

Piece of junk?

I know that Wattage planes are really bad, but that wing looks terrible - that Cub was my first plane, and it died on its maiden flight - it was soooooo heavy yet broke so easily - how on earth do they stay in business??

I'm sorry that it died for you btw, how about making an Adrian Page as a replacement?

James
Nov 07, 2004, 09:46 PM
RCAPA #005
My wattage Cub 400 went in on maiden flight from about 20 feet. Not even really sure why, but it wasnt for lack of power- it just went into a wacky spin and went down. The only damage is the firewall needs to be replaced, but it's been sitting on a shelf...
Great looking plane, but I got a Modeltech J3 which is slightly larger and has ailerons- it'll run a speed 600 direct drive setup from a SuperStar EP.
Nov 07, 2004, 11:01 PM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
My wattage Cub 400 went in on maiden flight from about 20 feet. Not even really sure why, but it wasnt for lack of power- it just went into a wacky spin and went down. The only damage is the firewall needs to be replaced, but it's been sitting on a shelf...
Great looking plane, but I got a Modeltech J3 which is slightly larger and has ailerons- it'll run a speed 600 direct drive setup from a SuperStar EP.
Really?? Where did you get the plane from??? I actually have a 600 from a superstar sitting around.

You're right, the spin that I had was wacky also, and there was no way out of it. It was after the fact that I figured the wing folded. The wing had no other damage other than the break at the middle ribs. It just didn't look like an impact break. I'm still going to fix the plane up, and probably recover it, but it may became a display model in my stairwell with a nice subtle color.

The plane flew great. It was probably over powered, and I probably looped it too hard. I was pushing it a bit, trying to get a feel for what it could do. I just might get another kit like this, but make it bit more scale and subtle in power. I bet the thing would have rocketed off the water as a float plane with this set up, it had a climb angle of about 30 degrees. I was actually scared it was going to stall and gave some down trim to decrease the attack angle on the climb. Any way, she crashed, and life goes on. (Oh, but what fun it is)
Nov 08, 2004, 12:42 AM
RCAPA #005
I got the Modeltech cub at the local hobby shop- it was the same price as the Wattage, but looks nicer. It's just a tad too big for a 400 and too small for a 600... but with Lipos it'll not get too porky with that heavy motor. Should do well.
The spin on mine I THINK is beacause the wings were warped- I never checked them till afterwards. The only damage at all is the firewall, so it's an easy fix.
Nov 08, 2004, 01:01 AM

Buy a Great Planes Cub

I have a Great Plane Cub and it flys great! Havent had a problem since day 1. Great plane to own. Whats the wingspan on the Wattage plane?

Chris
Nov 08, 2004, 10:12 AM
RCAPA #005
The wattage is 48" I think... but the fuse is small considering the span. The ModelTech is bigger in almost all regards, but just about the same wing span.
Nov 08, 2004, 11:46 AM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Quote:
I got the Modeltech cub at the local hobby shop- it was the same price as the Wattage, but looks nicer. It's just a tad too big for a 400 and too small for a 600... but with Lipos it'll not get too porky with that heavy motor. Should do well.
The spin on mine I THINK is beacause the wings were warped- I never checked them till afterwards. The only damage at all is the firewall, so it's an easy fix.
I had taken your advice from another post and made sure the wings weren't warped. I'll tell you, the Wattage plane flew great with the geared setup and and 8 cell NIMH. The darn wing just folded. Like I said I might try another one??? Haven't decided. Maybe if they go on sale, and I do plan to modify and rebuild this one (Beef it up a little)
Nov 08, 2004, 11:47 AM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpol3692
I know that Wattage planes are really bad, but that wing looks terrible - that Cub was my first plane, and it died on its maiden flight - it was soooooo heavy yet broke so easily - how on earth do they stay in business??

I'm sorry that it died for you btw, how about making an Adrian Page as a replacement?

James
What is an Adrian Page???
Nov 08, 2004, 11:48 AM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Quote:
The wattage is 48" I think... but the fuse is small considering the span. The ModelTech is bigger in almost all regards, but just about the same wing span.
Is that the ModelTech that is designed for a .25 glow?
Nov 08, 2004, 01:01 PM
VR6
VR6
VR6 Driver
Thacherd, sorry about the cub.

I retired mine saturday (need the servos for other plane).

That plane looks very nice but it has weird flying characteristic.

I powered mine with Astro 010 14T with 3.3 gearbox, apc 9x6 sf, E-tec 1200 3S...plenty of power for this plane.

With such a light powerplant and li-po, I move the servo forward to avoid tail heavy.

Things that I noticed about the cub:

1. Response is very slugish even with high rate.
2. If you bank the plane more than let say 25 to 30 dgrees, it wants to dive & spin
3. Above 35 to 40% throttle, the plane wants to pitch up really bad
4. The plane is very sensitive to wind...well this one maybe..because I bult mine too light.

I wonder if you guys are noticing the same thing.

BTW thacherd...I noticed the porter hanging on the wall. Now that is a very nice lookin & sweet flying plane.
I have that Porter too....
Nov 08, 2004, 01:37 PM
Folded even with the struts?
Nov 08, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Yep!! The struts, as the instructions state are just for a scale look, and really serve no functional purpose. I had them connected, and all they did was pop out when the wing went. Might have been part of the reason for the weird death spiral also??? Like I said, I wish I would have gotten video of the crash. It was quite unique.
Nov 08, 2004, 03:20 PM
I'll try anything once!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6
I noticed the porter hanging on the wall. Now that is a very nice lookin & sweet flying plane.
I have that Porter too....
That is one of my favorite planes that I own. It is so docile, even my 9 year old can fly it without much assistance, and it looks great in the air. I also love how it ROG's and lands. I couldn't enjoy it any more. I actually purchased 2 of them when Hobby Lobby closed them out. (one is still in the box) But, I see that http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...emnumber=VA060 sells them too, but the price tag is over 90 bucks, ouch!

I agree with you that the cub liked to pitch up above 30 to 40 percent throttle. It did so even with my 8 Cell Nimh pack, and the 400 gear box. I enjoyed the 2 flights I had with the plane and it was unfortunate that it went down. But, It just gives me an excuse to modify it this winter and see what I come up with. Right now it is on the list next to my mini telemaster, stagger bee, the other turboporter in the box, a Flying styro bumblebee, Dynaflight Piece 0' Cake, Bohemia Grumbler, and picking out my first glow trainer. I am tempted to get a Hangar 9 Xtra easy II RTF, and also a Great planes old timer. I have yet to fly any planes with ailerons and I guess I feel like I should get the Xtra Easy II to train with glow power and ailerons. The old timer would just be a kit to build over the winter and learn to use glow engines with (only has 3 channels, I could probably fly it right now.) I have been thinking about glow power for awhile now, mainly because that is what the members of the local club predominately use. I figure they could teach me a thing or two, and then I could introduce them to electrics. (Seems like a good plan, at least in theory)
I would like some help with the cub though. If anyone has suggestions, (besides throwing it away) they would be welcome. I need some advice especially on rebuilding the firewall, and making a decent battery box for this plane. But like I said, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Quick Reply