Oct 15, 2018, 04:53 AM
Thread OP
So the big GeoBat (20") which I posted the vid of above somehow didn't have any tip weight fitted when I made that film, the film where she flies multiple loops both inside and out, so I figured that 15 Grams out on the tip in-line with the C of G would improve what was already a fairly good flier. Take off, 2 laps to warm up and whilst downwind I climbed and then increased 'up' for a nice round loop........ Splat, only got a loo, like a loop but the last bit was missing!! No damage (except to my pride, several FB's watching and they laughed ) but she just wouldn't go around so away we go again. This time, up high, up even higher and try again, just got around but it was close close! Defiantly not turning as tight as she did without tip weight so first up I will get rid of it and fly again to ensure that it was that that was causing the problem and then just add (probably) 5 grams.
This model is just a flat circle of Corroplast and I have mounted the battery on the outside so I maybe won't need tip-weight at all but either way interesting (to me) to see how tip weight also effects how the model behaves.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2018, 07:23 PM
To bad the one guy has an attitude. In my years of comp and fun flying I've met a few. Any way it seems you are having fun.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Not had much (2 outings this year to be honest) Twirly Whirly fun of late but this afternoon I grabbed both GeoBats and a pile of bats.

Slightly more wind than I thought (7 - 10 kph) but doable. Took the bigger one up first and she flew nice and stable both ways up but I though that she was not turning very tightly but that has always been my complaint, I believe that it is due to the flat plate profile. Loops in both direction were OK but large and I had a decent pull on the lines so I could even do some overhead loops, very cool. Third 2 minute flight and I pulled out of a wing over to inverted too low and clipped snapping the prop (6 X 4) and the only suitable spare was a 5 X 5 which was loud but didn't work, got airborne but lost line tension as soon as I went over 30 degrees against the wind and the resulting sideways slide in broke the 3D printed lead-outs.

Got the lil' un' out and had 2 flights but she was a bit of a roller coaster and I has having to fight her up wind second flight I had 4 - 5 nose overs trying to take off as the grass is a bit long so I called it a day.

Enjoyed it, have to try and get more roundabout flying done but I need a nice reliable model that will turn nice and sharp....

Paul
Aug 26, 2019, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Got the big one turning a bit sharper but kept getting motor cuts this evening!!!!!!!

Flew the little 12" er on short lines with a slightly larger battery and she was really fast but roller coasting with a lack of elevator power so I called it a day.

Some days 'yer win, some days 'yer crash and burn.

Paul
Aug 26, 2019, 03:31 PM
------
Quote:
......Some days 'yer win, some days 'yer crash and burn.
The story of my C/L memories

Quick Reply