Oct 14, 2017, 03:25 AM
Flying one day at a time....
Hi Paul

Must confess to not paying attention there... I was sort of dozing in the armchair. Anyway, the figures caught my attention as they seemed, well, somewhat out of the ordinary for a stock motor and therefore rather interesting in their own right.

Anyway.... I checked out the video on Youtube and in the comments the author does say it got "a bit hot" at 30 Amps.

But.... enough rambling from me. Watching with interest.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2017, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Good session today......

Had some Wife and House stuff to do but got away at around 5 (gets dark at 7) with with the wind dropping as I drove to the field. I had fitted the 50 Gram BM2408-21 (now found it listed as 120 Watts) to the 18" Geobat with an 8 X 4 DD prop fed on 3S 1000 mAh packs. Test flew a 3D printed glider first (boring!!) and grabbed my Geobat. Full 'up', full throttle just off into wind and she leaped off of the ground . Couple of circuits and it was obvious that I was on the right track. I have only been playing this game for a very short while but I think that you will all know what I mean when I say that I could actually 'feel' the model flying. Constant pull, only a slight roller coaster as the wind was rising and falling (this disappeared later on when the wind died completely), lines visibly tight and the model responding (consistently) to my control inputs.
I did the 1001, 1002 thing whilst flying every time that I want past the sun and this evening I used a stop watch to establish that I am on about 5:10 to 5:30 per circuit (however, only 10 meter lines so still not that fast) and loops, wing overs and inverted were all achievable. 'Dumb thumbed' her in from inverted and broke a prop and as one point I moved the C of G the wrong way (how the did I do that????? 40 years playing with these things!!!) causing a vertical 'arrival' out of a loop entered too low, into wind with the C of G far too far forwards, own stupid fault.

Anyway, really enjoyed the 4 - 5 flights and the 2 arrivals (just broken props both times) were both down to me.

So, MORE POWER. Going to look at a more powerful (decent) motor for the Geobat but converting the HobbyKing GeeBee that I have lying around looks like the next best option......

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 19, 2017, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
Interesting evening….

Zero wind and I went to the field to try to film a sunset via FPV, turned out to be a waste of time. Had picked up the 18” Geobat on the way out but found out at the field that the only 8 X 4 prop that I had didn’t fit the adaptor! I threw a 7 X 3.5 on thinking that it would work OK but was wrong. Nice smooth take off but far too slow, using the 1001, 1002, method I was on 1009/ 1010 per lap which is around 8 seconds at my counting speed.

It was obvious that no aerobatics were going to happen but I did have 3 flights (10 – 20 laps) just practicing height control and ‘trimmed’ my handle to get a nice comfortable position for level flight. Quite surprised at how a changing the line length by just a centimetre had a marked difference on how I had to position the handle for level flight.

I have now ordered a Turnigy 2826 2200 kV motor (around 200 Watts for a 6 X 4) for the Geobat and have the GeeBee (http://fesselflug.eu/html/gee-bee-1000.html ), motor and ESC on the bench so I need some Man Time to crack on with that.

Want to bet that I will get the Geobat and the GeeBee flying and the weather will change to ‘unflyable’??

Paul
Oct 20, 2017, 08:41 AM
Cool...

Why has nobody thought of putting a Nutball or Geobat on control line before? It looks so crazy...... in a good way.

Do you have throttle control? If so, high alpha slow passes would look amazing......

Video

Dave
Nov 01, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Finally got out on Saturday with my Turnigy 2726 2200 kV powered 18" GeoBat, previously flown with 100 - 120 Watts now pushing a healthy 200 Watts.
Wind was far too much and it was just a roller coaster that ended in spat but I could feel that I had more power and she was a lot faster.

Very little wind today and had a great 3 flights . Counting 1001 etc. I am on a touch over 5 second laps and although I was feeling a slight difference between being 'cross wind up wind' and 'cross wind down wind' I had a nice pull all the way around. Getting giddy a lot more quickly so I started messing around,loops, multiple loops (X 3), figure 8's (horizontal), 1/2 inverted lap's (bottled it every time) all went pretty well. Wing overs and I couldn't keep her straight so she came out at an angle every time, tried a vertical 8 and because I knew what it was supposed to be it was OK to me but and outsider would have thought that I was trying to conduct and orchestra or was having a sneezing fit.....

Finally lost orientation with the model above my head, not sure what went wrong but suddenly I was looking in one direction and the model crashed behind me ( ). ripped the motor half out and lost the last prop spacer but not in the least 'cos I had so much fun beforehand.

Had the feeling that the 10 metre lines may be a touch too short and I need to secure the battery better (it fell out in the air on one flight) but defiantly thinking that I have 'got there' with this one (18" GeoBat).

Been reading up on all the threads here, on Stunthanger and on 2 German forums so I have been coming across flat plate vs. profile quite a lot and I feel that I am definitely experiencing the negative effects, looking forward to getting the GeeBee into the air, twice the size, 3 times the weight and a real profile, going to be good.

Paul
Nov 11, 2017, 08:55 AM
I stumbled across some vintage control-line flying discs this morning:-

- Mercurial Mite, 7", 1955 by Ray Malmstrom

- Saucerer, 11", 1970, by Ray Malmstrom

- Saucy Satellite, 10", by Ray Malmstrom

- Target and Bullseye, 19", 1962, by Larry Scarinzi

- these designs span 15 years, so one imagines they might even have worked! Plans of all of them cam be found at Outerzone.co.uk.

Dave
Nov 11, 2017, 11:28 AM
Old Timer
I built a Sassy Saucer in 1954 or 1955. It was very aerobatic, but too fast with my GH Torp 35, for anything but flying combat with (and too difficult to build to use it for that). No one suggested trying a lower pitch prop, or I might have kept it.

(That was two years or so before getting a first 4-2-4 "classic stunt" Fox 35; I really liked the high rpms when getting started in CL.)

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Nov 15, 2017, 01:58 AM
I built a sassy saucer in the early sixties and liked it a lot. But your right, way to complicate for combat, lot of fun though.
May 30, 2018, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Strange but pleasant evening.

Only had an hour or so so I grabbed my TH Fokker and 3 packs and my Blade 180 CFX also with 3 packs. Picking stuff up I noticed my 13.5" GeoBat which never really flew properly but I grabbed that as well.

Had a great flight with the Fokker until my transmitter timer went off and just at the at point the prop flew off. Guess what I didn't have in my start box??? Spare Prop bands, game over for the 3D fixed wing. Flew the Hely, 30 seconds in and I lost the tail and had to 'auto-rotate-crash' (no damage except to my pride). Secured the tail boom and tried again, same result because the threads are stripped where the tail boom fits into the frame, game over for the 3D Hely.

Nothing left to do except to tack a battery onto the GeoBat and have a go.

Terrible, unstable roller coaster so I cut the motor and dumped her.
Moved the battery as far forward as she would go and looky here, doesn't she fly nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not stunningly fast but tugging on the lines and when a puff of wind blew her in 1 - 2 paces backwards got the lines tight again. Bit sensitive but trying not to fly her too much, as in just leaving her alone, she stayed pretty flat, straight and true. My blood pressure is a bit high at the moment so I didn't want to risk getting giddy so got down-wind and pulled 'up'. Loops, nice big vertical 8's, shaky inverted, wing overs, all very imprecise and wobbly but very recognisable.

So, nice summers evening and I went out to fly some fixed wing and Hely 3D, ended up having lots of CL fun and due to the weather there were around 10 FB's there who all enjoyed the show.....

Good fun.

Paul
Oct 09, 2018, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
I had it in the back of my mind that I started 'Operation Mis-Spent Youth' just before October last year because I received my first CL model in October (1974)and it was talking about that that got me onto the idea. I now see that I had my first flights with the Nutball in August so I have been playing with these things for over a year and am still interested

Could have been far further down the road but CL has to take it's turn with the other types of modes which I enjoy and for me it was too hot to go flying quite often but still enjoying it.

I would have liked to have had my MayDay sorted because I am not seeing many new models (new as in new designs, not re-builds of old stuff) coming out and I like the concept of using modern material (3D printed parts) to create a model that belongs in the 'Grandfather Class' (as in the oldest form of 'controlled flight').

Anyway, nice weather here today and I had the day off with Wifey at work so here is what I got up to.

Hummer (4 min 5 sec)

Gone up to 4S and down to a 8 X 6 prop, seems to be about right but I only have an 1800 mAh pack, 4 minute flight time is a bit short, might see about getting some bigger ones. I had forgotten to re-fit the tip weight for this flight, I was up to 36 Grams but that was too much, going down to 25 Grams but forgot to glue it back on, surprised that she flew so well with no tip weight at all!!!

GeoBat (2 min 40 sec)

'bout there with this one too I think?????

Paul
Oct 09, 2018, 06:13 PM
Paul,

Four minutes is plenty of time for me and lots of others. I'm not sure where you're located, but you can do the AMA Beginner's pattern in 2 1/2 minutes. Seeing you fly the Hummer, you should have no problem competing in Beginner's at a local competition with a little dedicated practice. It's not a hard pattern to pick up.

Mark
Oct 13, 2018, 10:16 PM
Having just signed on to this forum I have been reading about your adventures in CL. It looks like you are getting the hang of it. Do you not have some other guys/gals that you can fly with over there? I remember back in the early 50's as an almost teenager learning to fly control line with a 1/2A plane. First attempt was the AJ Aircraft Fire Baby. Made all of 9 laps on 15 foot lines in the back yard. Then I got a Scientific Sport Racer it was called powered with OK Cub .049A. Litterally wore it out flying in the back yard on 20 foot lines. Flying by myself I didn't know. But then I managed to make enough money to get a Red Head McCoy 35 and a Guillows Rat Racer it was called. That is when I found out there was a dedicated circle in Kansas City, KANSAS. Also found out about the club that used the circle, the Flying Eagles. That is when I really started to learn about CL. I have not joined the electric crowd yet as I have so many internal combustion(IC) engines. I will 77 before the year is out and am still having fun flying CL just for fun as I think the competition end of has run its course. Any way I like the way the Hummer was flying and I think the other planes were holding you back. You mention Stunt Hanger, I joined it when it first came on line and is one of my favorite sites. I also do the Barton site and Brotherhood of the Ring. Ringmaster Marathon was a rain out for me this year. Any way keep having fun and maybe get some more people to fly with you on CL.
Oct 15, 2018, 02:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinout
Paul,

Four minutes is plenty of time for me and lots of others. I'm not sure where you're located, but you can do the AMA Beginner's pattern in 2 1/2 minutes. Seeing you fly the Hummer, you should have no problem competing in Beginner's at a local competition with a little dedicated practice. It's not a hard pattern to pick up.

Mark
Hi Mark,

kind of figured that you are right, probably get giddy and embarrass myself by throwing up if I try for longer flights .

I just printed a new handle with a clip on it for an digital egg timer and set it to 3 minutes, orderd 2 more batteries and the net result per afternoon will be the same

Paul
Oct 15, 2018, 03:21 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jehold,

there are 2 other guys within a 50 mile or so area, one who I have not got around to meeting up with yet and the other who was told about me be a mutual acquaintance (we are the only 2 Auto Gyro fliers in the area, same problem there) but when he was told that I fly electric he shuddered and after the mention of foam he just walked away

Thing is, this is all just 'have a go' due to my failed attempts with my Cox's Spitfire in 1974, been flying with radio since the early 80's but C/L was still marked down as a '6, failed miserably' and I wanted to improve my grade before it's bucket list time

My aim is just to to get to the point where I can take my (preferably) own designed model out whenever I feel like it and be able to fly all of the figures that a C/L model can using electrons for fuel and hopefully without spending any (many) beer tokens. Quick, simple, cheap FUN....

Obviously the Hummer is going in the direction of a 'real' model but I was thinking back to when I used to drool over Aero Modeller in the 70's where they had may flat-plate winged profile models which reportedly flew well so initially I was figuring that it was just a case of hang a motor onto a dinner plate, tie 2 strings on and go fly. However, been years since I cut balsa I am not really sure if I would 'go to the trouble' although I was looking at the ringmaster plan the other day thinking how easy it would be to knock-up a foam wing.

Paul

Quick Reply