Canterbury # 598 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2017, 11:05 AM
My thought for the jib is to copy the jib on the real J Boats, whatever name they call that type of jib. On the full size boat it gives them a very majestic look, altho it might not translate down to the Canterbury size but that is how I envision it. Windjammin Sails makes decorated sails that replicate the full size racing sails and they have printed lines that look like some sort of seaming. They do look pretty cool. I have two sets for other boats and after 4 seasons the designs are still holding up well and they perform well.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 12:35 PM
Modeler/ Historian
If it is what I'm thinking of, what you want is a 25% Genoa . The full size J class have a great website http://www.jclassyachts.com/ which details all the existing hulls as well as histories, with lots of pics..
Sep 22, 2017, 01:23 PM
Probably I'll stay with the standard jib and main until I get the feel of the boat, then at that point start experimenting. That might be the best best way to go.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:04 PM
Modeler/ Historian
With a "race legal" rig, my boat sails very well and looks every bit like the majestic J's which the CJ's emulate. I'm glad I went that route. Though I don't have much opportunity to race, it's nice to be all set when the opportunity presents.
Oct 07, 2017, 05:24 PM
I got the toe rails in place today so now the planking can begin.
Oct 07, 2017, 06:24 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Now the real fun begins! Looks great.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:19 PM
Hi guys I am not satisfied with the planking as it was going, so I pulled it up. This is the second time I started and was not happy with it so tomorrow will start over for the third time. It better be what my minds eye sees this time.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:27 PM
If it floats....sail it!
What didn't you like about it?
Oct 11, 2017, 08:41 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I know what you mean... Been there, done that. These boats demand the best you can do.
Oct 11, 2017, 10:35 PM
My hangup is with the black caulking. I have been trying to use black construction paper for the effect but it was not to my liking so it has been striped off. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh idea. I have been watching the thread on black caulking and will take some ideas from it.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:41 PM
The wide blade (Magnum) Sharpie should work on the edges. I use it on the lifts of a mold plug to bring the waterlines/buttocks out. Worth a try.

Cheers,

Earl
Oct 13, 2017, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker
My hangup is with the black caulking. I have been trying to use black construction paper for the effect but it was not to my liking so it has been striped off. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh idea. I have been watching the thread on black caulking and will take some ideas from it.
On my RS540, it took two thicknesses of the construction paper. I also cut it maybe double the thickness of the planks. Glue it in (I used CA, worked awesome) then carefully go over it with an xacto.

I used a sharpie on my Razor 3 Footy deck. it looks good enough for a Razor, but I LOVE the look of the paper lines on the larger deck!
Oct 13, 2017, 07:33 PM
If it floats....sail it!
The Dumas kits of Chris-Craft runabouts use white ABS strips to simulate the white caulk that CC used on their boats. I have seen thin black ABS strips in my LHS in a rack of different size plastic parts in the train section.

If that is too thick for you, plastic sheet at places like Hobby Lobby comes in a variety of thicknesses. The only thing is you would have to use a non-solvent based top coat or it would dissolve the plastic.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:58 PM
I used purfiling on my mahogany boat. It is a material used in guitar construction. The purfiling comes in different thicknesses. I used .010" X 34". It is a firm man made material that is flexable and sands nicely.

Ed
Nov 14, 2017, 04:21 PM
The planking is finally finished. It is not the effect that I was going for but it is finished. It sure did take a lot longer than I figured for. But then again most things take longer than we think. I am going to finish it with Minwax satin poly no stain.