Canterbury # 598 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Sep 04, 2017, 09:58 PM
Thank you Ed for offer of DWGs to build Newport 12m launch / retrieve cradle ... I am good for now (may need this when I get older ... and ... have this style / design for future reference). You can still post the DWG information - so others can benefit as well ??

Hey poltergeist (Kevin) ...
Indeed the Newport 12m benefits from this internal lift grab bar ... but ... as you noted the C-J is not as heavy and current design and kit by Hans Berger looks more than adequate - and does not need the N12 style additions for an internal lift grab bar

Maybe when family needs allow - I MIGHT get to build a C-J in the future ... that is why I am watching the C-J build and discussion for my future reference ... I have always enjoyed the friendly folks and extra effort to help other fellow builders.

Thanks guys for you offered suggestions and clarification

Looking forward to watching the build of these current C-J. I have enjoyed the other previous C-J builds as well - very informative ... especially the deck planking - king plank and methods that will be used are of interest to me (for future reference)
Last edited by slo.ca6; Sep 04, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2017, 11:57 PM
Modeler/ Historian
The deck is on , and she's looking like a boat! Very nice. Can't wait to see paint.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:38 AM
Yes Ed! Please post or PM the cradle details. I'm already older and could really use the help.
Sep 05, 2017, 04:25 PM
Here is my rough drawing for the launching cradle. Use 3/4 inch PVC. One side of the lower leg is shorter than the other. Depending on the direction you want to launch the boat. You can switch the short leg to the other side.

Ed
Sep 16, 2017, 10:28 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I thought I would bump your thread Keep the interest up! I saw in your pics a 1/96 destroyer, I do those as well....
Sep 16, 2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the bump Stephen. I will be putting some pictures up in a few days, I just shot the first of the hull colors today so it will probably middle of next week. The DD in the background is the Charles Adams. It is all wood plank on frame scratch built. It was a fun build but I doubt that I have the patience for that kind of build anymore.
Sep 17, 2017, 01:46 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Indeed. Lots of Fidley bits on 1/96 scale warships. I take a long time on those. Sailboats and submarines I usually work right through.
Sep 17, 2017, 10:01 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Ed: Watch out with that PVC. It can get brittle and snap. I used grey EMT for my Santa Barbara (plastic electric conduit - direct burial rated and stronger than Schedule 40 PVC at the same diameter). It is supposed to last longer before breaking. Of course, 1/2" copper water pipe with soldered fittings is the best...although $.

If you do use copper, slide on a section of foam pool noodle in case you happen to drop the lift into the water. . The plastic will take a minute to sink while the copper goes right to the bottom.
Sep 18, 2017, 02:26 PM
The weather this weekend was perfect for painting so I took full advantage of it. Mama does object to stinking up the house with paint fumes so all that activity has to be done outside. Some people don't appreciate the finer things in life right ?
Last edited by tinknocker; Sep 18, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Sep 18, 2017, 02:51 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Beautiful!
Sep 18, 2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks
Sep 21, 2017, 01:43 PM
Modeler/ Historian
What specific colors/ brand, paint did you use? looks like an Anthracite grey maybe? Cant tell from the pics, is it metallic? Really does work well on that hull, maybe get some black sails!
Sep 21, 2017, 09:52 PM
Stephen

OK All colors are Dupli-Color. The hull color is "Storm Gray Metallic" BGM0522. Below the water line "Black Magic Metallic" BVW2040. Water line stripes and hull stripe are "Silver Mist Metallic" BNS0598. When it comes time for the sails I'm thinking grey if they will make them . Also thinking of an over lapping jib or Genoa. What do you think ? Is there a difference how the boat sails with that type of jib compared with a standard jib ?
Sep 21, 2017, 11:27 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I have heard of CJ's set up with multi Jib or Genoa, though I've never seen one. I would imagine it would work well. Though it wouldn't be class legal... I considered doing so with mine, but opted for a class legal boat. I do want to build a Gaff rigged version with multi /overlapping jibs in the future. I worked out a sheeting arrangement which would allow a quick change from single, to double, to triple jibs, or genoa in minutes. I tried it on my schooner and it worked very well. One downside, I think, would be that the extra sail area would make her tender in a blow, but if you build in the ability to reduce sail, it shouldn't be a problem.
Sep 22, 2017, 08:46 AM
Modeler/ Historian
BTW, goodwinds.com has some nice silvery grey rip stop kite material. I ordered some to have a go at sail making (not successful) Perhaps a sailmaker might use it? It really does give the illusion of carbon sails.