Canterbury # 598 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Aug 28, 2017, 10:52 AM
Kevin Gault
As I recall the C-J was developed by a club in New Zealand, specifically so they could sail it in their local ponds when the weeds took hold.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2017, 11:35 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Plus one Kevin. I've given mine the weed test, and she passed right through without even slowing down. There isn't anything to get caught on a full keel boat like a CJ.
Aug 28, 2017, 12:23 PM
The long fin boats are weed magnets just the nature of the beast. Boats with swept back keels are less prone to weed problems. The Solings have a straight rudder back aft of the keel and if weeds get caught that is where they hang up. The CJ's are very streamlined underwater so there is nothing to get hung up on.
Sep 03, 2017, 04:15 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Hoo Yah! She's coming along nicely. I think you will find, that once the deck is on.... The really fun part begins!
Sep 03, 2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the nice word Stephen. I am looking forward to the planking part. I would really like to get the hull painted before the cooler weather sets in so once the deck is on I may concentrate on that. The planking can be done after the weather goes south.
Sep 03, 2017, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker
...The planking can be done after the weather goes south.
I like the weather in the South, I can paint and plank year around! Now actually finishing a boat? That is another story...
Sep 04, 2017, 09:27 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Looks like a good plan. We are lucky here in West TX, we do get some bitter cold snaps, but for the most part winter passes us by... Paint does prefer warm weather. Y'all get that "Hard Water" problem in winter too. On the bright side; one can build with patience, with no urgency to get it in the water. I find I struggle with rushing the last bits. Looks great! Keep posting...
Sep 04, 2017, 10:31 AM
Anyone know if CJ build allows adding internal structural bracing - and still be legal CJ build - for launch / recovery lifting (i.e. Like Newport 12m aluminum tube lift bar just inside hatch cover)

The idea being ... adding an inside "Grab Bar" for lifting the CJ during launch / recovery ... to allow distributed load on decking / decking support frames ... rather than stressing glue joint for deck and deck support frames

Or ... am I asking a silly question - since the CJ is not that heavy and stress on deck glue joints and frames is not a concern ??
Sep 04, 2017, 12:15 PM
The plan is that once the hull is painted I can take my time to plank it and if this winter is mild like last year, on the warmer days it will be christened. That is if Mother Nature cooperates otherwise the maiden voyage will wait until spring.

I know where you're coming Stephen when it comes to finish work. You get very anxious to see it finished.
Sep 04, 2017, 04:07 PM
Well the deck is on waiting for the epoxy to cure. One small step.
Sep 04, 2017, 05:18 PM
Kevin Gault
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
Anyone know if CJ build allows adding internal structural bracing - and still be legal CJ build - for launch / recovery lifting (i.e. Like Newport 12m aluminum tube lift bar just inside hatch cover)

The idea being ... adding an inside "Grab Bar" for lifting the CJ during launch / recovery ... to allow distributed load on decking / decking support frames ... rather than stressing glue joint for deck and deck support frames

Or ... am I asking a silly question - since the CJ is not that heavy and stress on deck glue joints and frames is not a concern ??
There's nothing in the C-J Class rules that limit internal structure and/or a lifting apparatus inside the boat (at least in my interpretation of the rules).

That said, I really don't think something like that is necessary. The C-J is only a hair over 14 lbs, and I've lifted mine numerous times in/out of the water and transported it all the time by lifting on the edge of the hatch with no issues so far.

Some guys have made launching cradles to save having to bend down to launch/retrieve.

Kevin
C-J #551
Sep 04, 2017, 06:29 PM
Thanks poltergeist (Kevin) for the clarity regarding unnecessary internal re-enforcement / lift handle for C-J ...

As you noted ...
~14lbs is not all that heavy ... VS ... much heavier Newport 12m (at almost 40 lbs) ... thus the existing C-J deck framing around the hatch has demonstrated more than adequate structurally to handle the loads of launch / retrieve.
Sep 04, 2017, 07:23 PM
Kevin Gault
I built a couple of C/F tube lifting "handles" into my Newport 12 that are tied into the forward and aft bulkheads. They work great as a strong, rigid place to lift that "beast". Like I said I think the Hans Berger deck beams and hatch frame seem more than up to the task in the C-J.

Kevin
Sep 04, 2017, 08:11 PM
slo.ca6

I made a launching device out of PVC pipe. If you would like the drawing with the measurements I would be happy to post it.

Ed "CJ" 529