Canterbury # 598 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks Kevin. I have used the 815 in a couple of my Solings and they are a bit of overkill in them, but they have given no problems either in reliablity or amperage draw. My choice for the sail winch would be an arm arrangement as that is what I am used to. The drum setup always seemed too slow.

Doug
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2017, 07:34 PM
Kevin Gault
I couldn't agree more Doug. Funny, because the Hitec digital is so fast I had to slow it down with the programmer so it had a more "natural" speed to trimming/easing the sails.

Kevin
Aug 22, 2017, 08:35 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I would say, go with what you are most comfy with. However, Kevin is a CJ Champ, soooo.... Go with what he says. I see y'all agree anyway LOL. Swing arms are very fast, and the HiTech servo has more than enough power for the CJ, and is very responsive (I used one in an IOM). I went a different direction with my CJ, but it was a personal choice (I like drums for the complexity I'm a glutton for punishment, its my German blood)
Aug 22, 2017, 08:58 PM
You guys have a lot of experience with the CJ's so if you make a suggestion I WILL take your advice. Your boats are an example that I am trying to follow. Over the winter I redid a US one meter that I was gifted. It came with a drum setup with all the pulleys and bungee cord etc. So out came the drum and in went a Hitech 765 with an aluminum arm. The original owner sailed it last week and was amazed at the difference. I am just trying to plan ahead by visualizing now how everything is going to fit.
Aug 22, 2017, 09:08 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Check out Kevin's build thread, especially the artfully mounted servos... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nterbury-J-551
He mounts his swing arm in the optimum position (in my opinion ) .
Aug 23, 2017, 12:30 AM
Kevin Gault
Like Steven has said before. There's more than one way to skin a C-J cat....(or something like that). I did mine with an arm setup because I was impatient and wanted simple so I could "get it done"... and I was essentially copying Ed Crowell's "slick machine" #529

Steven's drum setup seemed to work flawlessly when we sailed together, so my hats off to him for going his own way and making it work.

Kevin
Aug 23, 2017, 11:20 AM
Definitely the KISS principle is the way for me.
Aug 23, 2017, 04:03 PM
Modeler/ Historian
She looks great!
Aug 24, 2017, 02:06 PM
Looking good. I see Han's added some extra support with short pieces of framing on the side of the hatch opening.

Ed "CJ" #529
Aug 24, 2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks Ed. So far it has been a fun build. Hans has engineered the kit so well that everything fits together perfectly. I am reading that the later boats have upgrades over the earlier ones, they make a great kit even better.
Aug 26, 2017, 05:13 PM
Hi Guys I spent some time today to make the frame work for the rudder hatch. It took longer than I expected. As you can see Hans has no competition from me when it comes to fabrication. I have a Dremel router table and I thought that would make the job easier. Not so much. Right now they are just dry fitted as I ran out of time today. I am waiting for the rudder servo to come to finish the mount so that I can epoxy everything , the stearn pieces hatch pieces and mounts at the same time.
Aug 27, 2017, 02:32 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Looks fantastic! You definitely need access to the rudder post. I wish I had added a lube tube. My next boat will have one. Great work! Keep up the posts.
Aug 27, 2017, 12:13 PM
Routers are not easy to work with without patterns... I thought those holes were laser cut until I took a closer look! Good job! I have been watching all these CJ threads for a while. They are all amazing inspiration and will greatly help me with my next build!

Keep up the good work!
Aug 28, 2017, 11:32 AM
tinknocker,

That is a beautiful hull for sure! Do you think it will handle any sort of weeds that might be present where you sail? I have an IOM that loves to get stuck in the floating weeds on my lake, and I was thinking of making some kind of metal keel for it that would either slide over and thru the weeds or maybe even build in a weed cutter of some sort. I don't have to be class legal for that, and this "weed keel" would be removable for when and if I ever do want to race IOM.