Canterbury # 598 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 14, 2017, 03:35 PM
Discussion

Canterbury # 598

Hull 598 arrived today and it is a thing of beauty. You guys that have dealt with Hans before know the high quality of his work. It is truly first rate. His attention to detail is remarkable. It will be a pleasure to build this boat. When the work begins I will start a build thread. Looking forward to it.

Doug
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 04:01 PM
Modeler/ Historian
HooYah! That's great, I look forward to your build thread.
Aug 14, 2017, 04:44 PM
Subscribed, but get some pictures up!!!
Aug 14, 2017, 04:53 PM
Kevin Gault
Great Doug!!!! I look forward to following along!

Wonder who will get #600?

Kevin
C-J #551
Aug 14, 2017, 09:39 PM
Looking forward to the build log.

Ed "CJ" 529
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37 PM
This was supposed to be a winter project but when it came there was no more waiting. The first pictures are how it comes from Hans. Perfectly packed and everything arrived without damage. The other pictures are today's progress. Boring but a very necessary first step in the process. All wood pieces are coated with thinned epoxy on the bottom side at this point. The stand is a temporary building stand to be replaced later.

Doug
Aug 20, 2017, 10:11 AM
Glad you are getting started on the build. Take lots of pictures. Is the lead keel already attached?

Ed
Aug 20, 2017, 10:34 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Off to a great start! You should find the build very enjoyable, I know I did. As Ed said; take lots of pictures. No part of the build is boring to your fellow enthusiast, every little bit is of interest... One point, I missed in my build log: this being another use of thinned epoxy. When I had glued down the birch ply sub-deck, and after cutting out the access holes. I securely taped all round the edge to prevent seepage, and then poured in thinned epoxy, inverted the hull and allowed the epoxy to flow all round the edges. This had two effects; first, it completely sealed the deck edge, and second, the additional shrinkage of thinned epoxy made a very tight bond... I've used this method for years, my Destroyer and Cruiser models have never had a deck lift or crack in 30 years. Just a thought.... Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
Aug 20, 2017, 11:17 AM
Kevin Gault
Interesting to see the slight improvements that Hans has incorporated (at least since my boat). Is that a hatch frame and flange that he includes now?

Coming along great!

Kevin
Aug 20, 2017, 02:25 PM
Ed The keel is attached at this point. You can just catch it in view 18. Steve I like that idea of sloshing thinned epoxy after the deck is on. I have done that in the past on the all wood scale boats, but never gave it a thought on a fiberglass hull with a previously coated wood deck. Thanks for the tip. I have several sheets of 1/16" ply 12" X 48" that are going to be used for the deck. Hans uses 1/32" but I don't think the extra weight will make a difference.
Aug 20, 2017, 11:26 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I found the 1/32 inch ply to be alarmingly flexible , however, it took the camber and sheer easily and was plenty stiff after planking. I don't see any worries in using 1/16 ply Not much added weight, but much stiffer. Most don't bother with planking and fiberglass or epoxy coat the deck Again the class allows for a lot of flexibility. Every CJ I've seen are different, with each having an outstanding feature, different from the others
Aug 21, 2017, 09:14 PM
The current plans are to plank with 1/16" bass. The planking on your boat is outstanding.
Aug 22, 2017, 07:20 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thank you. I planked with 1/16 bass with black construction paper strips in between. It took awhile but it was worth it. I used medium CA glue which gave me a little positioning time This was my favorite part of the build.
Aug 22, 2017, 12:09 PM
Yeah mine to. There is great satisfaction in fitting the planks and pride in the finished product. Question Will the Hitech 815 be able to handle the sail load on its own, or do I have to look into a geared winch arrangement from Servo City?
Aug 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
Kevin Gault
Doug,

The Hitec 815 should be fine. A lot of C-J's use it for the sail winch. Some of us are using Hitec digital servos (in my case the HS7950TH) because they are programmable and smaller/lighter. I think a Servo City gearbox is overkill in this application.

Kevin
C-J #551