QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter (3") by Lumenier - RC Groups
Aug 14, 2017, 10:06 AM
New Product

QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter (3") by Lumenier

The Lumenier QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter is a mini stretched X designed for 3" propellers. It is an ultra-durable Mini FPV Racing quadcopter, and it is a ton of fun to fly. The Lumenier QAV-CODERED was created in collaboration with and named after Cody Matson AKA CODERED. This airframe has been uniquely designed to fully protect all the sensitive electronics in a compact and lightweight package.

>> Buy the QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter here.

The QAV-CODERED features premium Lumenier carbon fiber with a beautifully finished chamfered edge, giving the quad a sleek look while also improving the durability by removing hard edges. Each plate is sealed with a layer of clear coat paint further strengthening each piece and giving it an awesome finished look. No rough edges or carbon dust to worry about, and no sanding required.

The airframe has a solid 3mm carbon fiber unibody main plate and 3mm thick vertical side plates. The vertical side plates have slots that lock into place on the main plate and then secure to each other with 4x 25mm red textured aluminum spacers. The final result is an extremely solid airframe that can handle the abuse of FPV crashes like no other. Each side plate is covered by a red vinyl plastic that acts as a barrier against debris from damaging your electronics inside. Plus it just looks cool!

Even though the QAV-CODERED has been designed for 3" propellers, it has space for a full sized FPV camera and video transmitter. No need to sacrifice on video quality with a micro AIO system with the CODERED, you can use the same electronics you use in your full size 5" quadcopters. The main unibody plate is designed to hold a 20x20mm hole patterned flight controller and 4-in-1 ESC stack. The kit also includes a no-slip silicone sticker pad for secure lipo battery mounting. The motor mounts are designed to fit 13xx and 14xx sized motors with M2 screws. The recommended setup would include 1406 sized motors in the 3500-3800kv rage running on a high C rated 4s Lipo battery with 3 bladed 3" propellers.

Each carbon fiber plate is CNC milled out of a solid sheet of premium Lumenier carbon fiber. The outer weave of the carbon fiber runs down each arm of the QAV-CODRED (0/90 weave), maximizing the strength of the carbon and arms. The center layers are offset at 45 degrees providing even and balanced strength throughout the entire plate.

The top plate allows for multiple cable ties to lock down your VTX antenna in place, or vertically mount your VTX and SMA connector. No more damaging the SMA connection on your VTX. The top plate also has a cutout allowing access to your VTX button and LED displays for easy channel adjustment. The 2mm top plate has multiple notches along the side making it a versatile mounting plate for a variety of accessories and HD camera mounts.

The airframe comes with high quality aluminum hardware. The screws are premium, black oxide steel. The spacers have a textured grip surface treatment, which facilitates holding of the spacers during assembly and servicing of the airframe.

Like the QAV-SKITZO, QAV-X CHARPU and QAV-R, the QAV-CODERED kit enables mounting of small FPV cameras such as the Lumenier CM-650 in a fully encased assembly which protects the FPV camera during crashes and enables pointing the FPV camera at a wide variety of viewing angles.

"The QAV-CODERED quad has been the most fun I've ever had flying a 3" frame. It it can really take a beating and pop right back up. If you're looking for a 3" FPV frame, I highly reccommend the QAV-CODERED."

- Cody Matson (CODERED)

Features
  • Designed in partnership with Lumenier FPV Pilot CODERED
  • Full 3K Carbon Fiber airframe
  • Ultra durable 3mm vertical side plates
  • Full FPV Camera protection
  • Mini sized for 3" propellers
  • Black Oxide steel screws
  • Easy grip red anodized spacers
  • "Bumpers" on the end of the arms to protect the motor during a crash
  • Designed around popular 26mm sized cams in cases such as the Lumenier CM-650 or HS1177.
  • Lightweight and rigid

Weight

• Airframe: 47g (airframe + hardware)
Includes
  • 1x QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter
  • 3mm carbon fiber unibody main plate
  • 2mm carbon fiber top plate
  • 2x 3mm carbon fiber vertical side plates
  • 2x 1mm carbon fiber nose cover plates
  • 2x Red laser-cut plastic side covers
  • 1x Set of black steel screws and aluminum hardware including knurled spacers, cable ties
  • 1x No-slip silicone battery pad
  • 1x XT-30 Pig-Tail
  • 1x Lumenier small rubber grip lipo strap

>> Buy the QAV-CODERED Mini FPV Quadcopter here.

QAV CODERED build (7 min 10 sec)
Last edited by GetFPV; Sep 01, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 10:07 AM
Reserved...
Aug 14, 2017, 12:14 PM
> Lightweight
> Airframe: 47g
Pick one.

That frame is really late to the party, especially with HS1177 instead of a micro CCD camera mount.
Aug 14, 2017, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enurian
> Lightweight
> Airframe: 47g
Pick one.

That frame is really late to the party, especially with HS1177 instead of a micro CCD camera mount.
The airframe was designed to be able to hold full sized cameras because their quality still exceeds the micro sized cams, and many prefer to fly and race with the higher quality cameras. If you'd rather fly with a micro camera, that can work as well. There are mounting points on the main plate for a camera bracket or a micro 3d printed mount. As for the weight, sub 50g is still quite light for such a durable and rigid airframe. To have a fully enclosed center body that protects all the fragile electronics during crashes is worth a few grams in weight to Cody (CODERED), whom the frame was designed for. Most 1407 sized motors running on 3" Lumenier props on 4s are pushing over 1600g of thrust now, so the difference between 200g and 210g is negligible, but the added durability is very valuable.
Sep 01, 2017, 03:42 AM
McFlyFPV
Frame is absolutely amazing and is very strong. Carrying a full sized GoPro competently is something I haven't seen many 3in frames be able to do and this one does it!
Sep 01, 2017, 07:59 PM
Here is a build video from CODERED himself -
QAV CODERED build (7 min 10 sec)
Sep 25, 2017, 12:10 AM
I bought the frame, camera mount, and a Foxeer Arrow V3 (which should look badazz in there!) camera thinking I would use the electronics from my Furious FPV Toretto. Which of course had a terrible camera. But now I'm thinking this frame deserves a clean build. I'll probably use the motors I have but still, what motors are those in the codered build? I like the long leads on those. I'll go for the 4 in one and Lumenier FC for the OSD. I have a full size 4 in one and Lumenier FC with OSD in my Tokio X and I love it. Is the VTX in the build vid also a Lumenier, maybe a 200 mw one? What antenna is that, Lumenier AXII? I just want to know what components were used here.
Sep 25, 2017, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak
I bought the frame, camera mount, and a Foxeer Arrow V3 (which should look badazz in there!) camera thinking I would use the electronics from my Furious FPV Toretto. Which of course had a terrible camera. But now I'm thinking this frame deserves a clean build. I'll probably use the motors I have but still, what motors are those in the codered build? I like the long leads on those. I'll go for the 4 in one and Lumenier FC for the OSD. I have a full size 4 in one and Lumenier FC with OSD in my Tokio X and I love it. Is the VTX in the build vid also a Lumenier, maybe a 200 mw one? What antenna is that, Lumenier AXII? I just want to know what components were used here.
Glad to hear you have a build coming up! You will really like it

The motors used in Cody's video are the BrotherHobby 1407 3600kv motors http://www.getfpv.com/brotherhobby-t...07-3600kv.html . Also, Lumenier will be releasing a new 1407 motor very soon that has a little more power. Should be in the store in 1-2 weeks.

The VTX is a Lumenier VTX, 200mw - http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-tx5g2...-raceband.html

And the antenna is the Lumenier AXII antenna - http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-axii-...psma-2pcs.html
Sep 29, 2017, 12:06 PM
I got the Lumenier Micro Lux V2 FC, Lumenier micro 4 in 1 ESC, and those tiny Lumenier antennas. Way cool. I will be looking for the new motors as with the Arrow camera, full size VTX, and stout frame it may be a bit heavy. Even in the Toretto those little 1306 4000kva motors were working hard, 3 min max with 4s 850.

There is a nice diagram of the V2 FC on the Lumenier website but it would be nice to know which pads correspond to which UARTS. I spoke to Lumenier tech support and they are very helpful.
Maybe I can post a build video of my own once I get this sorted out...
Sep 29, 2017, 12:08 PM
I just wish I could build as fast as Cody.
Sep 30, 2017, 12:35 PM
I posted my question about UART's on the Lumenier Micro Lux V2 discussion thread. Hopefully someone there will know which pad (UART) I should use for telemetry to my FrSky XSR Rx.
Sep 30, 2017, 01:06 PM
Still coming up with questions.
What value capacitor is Cody using and why? Is it simply soldered to the Bat +/- pads?
How do you flash an ESC with DSHOT?
Oct 03, 2017, 04:17 PM
Now it sounds like the Lumenier Micro Lux V2 doesn’t support smartport telemetry for FrSky receivers. If that is true that is pretty bad for a new product! Especially when it’s full size brother does. Is this true? Is Cody flying this little wonder without the benefit of telemetry? Thanks
Oct 04, 2017, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak
Now it sounds like the Lumenier Micro Lux V2 doesn’t support smartport telemetry for FrSky receivers. If that is true that is pretty bad for a new product! Especially when it’s full size brother does. Is this true? Is Cody flying this little wonder without the benefit of telemetry? Thanks
Did you see the post about signal inversion on the micro lux v2 thread? It works but you need to do some soldering to a tiny pad.
Oct 04, 2017, 01:42 PM
Yes thank you I have my answer for a hack fix from that thread. I posted here because the FC is being recommended for this Codered quad and others might like to know it’s limitations. I doubt I’m the only guy wanting to use FrSky with this little quad. For anyone reading this refer to the Lumenier Micro Lux V2 thread to see what will be required. But this is off topic for the Codered quad, on topic if you buy their recommended FC and fly FrSky.

Quick Reply