Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas/EP ARF 95" - RC Groups
Aug 14, 2017, 10:48 AM
Discussion

Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas/EP ARF 95"

I know we are still in the "coming soon" phase with this plane, but it certainly has my attention. Big and beautiful with lots of scale detail. Comes with retracts and gear. And, the price is right at around $700 delivered.

Apparently flys very well based on the video. Looking forward to someone posting more info soon.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGPRG&P=3
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2017, 12:56 AM
It seems decent, especially for price with retracts. Something about the nose of the plane is bugging me though. It doesn't looks quite right. And the wheels are super tiny.
I have a top flite giant spitfire and the shape looks better, but, it didn't come with retracts...sourced separately.
Of course, the TF spitfire is discontinued, so it's this Phoenix offering, a top rc spitfire (81") , the H9 30cc spitfire (81"), or the ESM at 89".
For the money and an every day bang around flyer, this one looks OK.
I'd probably go with one of the other offerings myself though as that nose shape bothers me.
Aug 28, 2017, 03:59 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Rad, seems like there is mix reviews on the early models from Phoenix however I can speak from the most recent releases.
I have the Stinson 66" Voyager. The design, construction, and durability for a delivered price of $139 is simply ridiculous. So then I dabbled with the Westland Lysender, same delivery from design to quality and cost. Next on my list is the A26 90" coming later this month. I have a lot of communication with Tower on the brand ( that they own ) and I really think they have been all over the QC.
Not exactly scale but for the money and some teaks you would have a great flying plane based on experienced with the brand.
Sep 16, 2017, 09:23 PM
Dinosaur
I'm currently flying two Phoenix planes; the Ryan STA and the 30cc Spitfire. As for structural integrity and flyability, they're both top shelf. I have no complaints except for the somewhat lack of strength of the main gear mounting on the Ryan. I reinforced that area and have had no further issues. Landing gear seems to be a universal problem with many of the popular ARFs. If we all made every landing a 'grease job' it wouldn't matter but that's just not the case.

The big Spitfire looks like a winner to me. Good luck with yours if you decide to get it. And keep us posted here.

Tom
Sep 21, 2017, 10:54 AM
You may find this page on my web site interesting-http://www.rc-airplanes-simplified.c...-spitfire.html
I have tried to gather all the information in one place. Any comments, both positive and negative would be greatly appreciated!
Sep 24, 2017, 11:08 AM
So far, the ARFs out of Viet Nam seem way better than the average Chinese ones.
Sep 25, 2017, 11:38 AM
Hi,

How do you guys imagine this plane would do on a DLE 55? I've got a 55RA and a 55 side exhaust sitting here doing nothing. Interestingly, the specs indicate that the RA is weaker than the side-exhaust. You really think you'd see a huge difference from a 55 to a 61 in the air?
Sep 25, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller Aircraft
Hi,

How do you guys imagine this plane would do on a DLE 55? I've got a 55RA and a 55 side exhaust sitting here doing nothing. Interestingly, the specs indicate that the RA is weaker than the side-exhaust. You really think you'd see a huge difference from a 55 to a 61 in the air?
I believe the 55RA will do the job. Much easier to cowl for sure. I see the expected date of arrival is pushed back again.
Sep 25, 2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc
I believe the 55RA will do the job. Much easier to cowl for sure. I see the expected date of arrival is pushed back again.
Mine is already on the way. I'll keep you posted. First thing I'll do is pressure test the gear.
Sep 26, 2017, 02:25 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss
It seems decent, especially for price with retracts. Something about the nose of the plane is bugging me though. It doesn't looks quite right. And the wheels are super tiny.
Comparing to pics of full-scale Spitfires, I think its the size of the spinner Phoenix went with. Full-scale looks much shorter and more traditionally shaped. Phoenixs' spinner looks elongated.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Sep 26, 2017, 06:07 PM
Pro Hoarder
Looks like a Griffin power spitty to me..just a late mark
Sep 26, 2017, 06:14 PM
It's a Mk. XIVc and the spinner generally looks good for this version, but I will know better once I receive mine, which was shipped yesterday. Of course MV268, flown by Johnnie Johnson, was a Mk. XIVe, not a c version, but that's alright.
Sep 26, 2017, 07:52 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemax3
It's a Mk. XIVc and the spinner generally looks good for this version, but I will know better once I receive mine, which was shipped yesterday. Of course MV268, flown by Johnnie Johnson, was a Mk. XIVe, not a c version, but that's alright.
Ahh that looks right then. If only we could easily use a 5-blade prop!
Sep 26, 2017, 11:33 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Definitely a Griffon powered Spitfire, lots of Spitfire variants through the years. Was looking for a spinner to replace the plastic one, no luck yet on a 6" spinner. Tru-turn has a 5 1/2" at $198. Guess they could make me one though😐
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
Sep 27, 2017, 08:24 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
I didnt notice till now, but I dont see any screw holes on the spinner...

Looking at the model progression image you posted (nice find btw!), the model looks to have the intake and spinner shape of the XIVE, but the fuselage of the XII?