Schumacher CAT XLS - Masami Edition - RC Groups

Schumacher CAT XLS - Masami Edition

The Schumacher CAT XLS was announced earlier this year, and is finally in-stock and shipping! Let's take a brief look at one very successful 1/10th scale racing buggy.

Schumacher CAT XLS - Masami Edition

A Re-Release of the Championship-Winning CAT

Schumacher entered the racing scene in 1986 with the CAT, and with it many championships across multiple continents were won. This re-release of the CAT XLS is based on the one driven by Masami Hirosaka, one of the most successful rc drivers ever. Here's what Schumacher has to say about the CAT XLS: The Schumacher CAT revolutionised off road racing when it was introduced in 1986, being years ahead of the competition. It became an international success winning British, European, Japanese, Australian, and American championships. It was updated with a longer wheelbase and Masami Hirosaka went on to win the 1987 1/10th 4WD IFMAR World Championships in Romsey, England. We are now excited to offer this iconic replica of the car that Masami used to win the first of his many World Championships, and put Schumacher Racing on the map as a leading RC car manufacturer.

CLICK HERE for more info on the re-release Schumacher CAT XLS.

Features

• Ball differentials, which had been invented by Cecil Schumacher in 1978.
  • Unique integrator system offering adjustable torque split between front and rear.
  • Double wishbone suspension with massive travel.
  • Alloy coil over oil filled shock absorbers.
  • Huge steering lock to handle the tightest tracks.
  • Front O ring ‘crashback’ system to minimize front end crash damage.
  • Compact design with low polar moment of inertia and low center of gravity gives the CAT remarkable maneuverability and balance.
  • Tough polycarbonate bodyshell and undertray to keep out the dirt.
  • Original Schumacher spiked tires.
  • Accepts period nicad/nimh batteries or modern shorty lipos.
  • Accepts brushed or brushless motors. (Maximum 17.5T limit with kit transmission)
  • Optional Transmission upgrade available to handle modern high powered motors, and create a class leading buggy for historic RC racing.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM..
Aug 14, 2017, 12:32 PM
I ordered one yesterday. Can't wait. I have an original Schumacher Procat (the successor to the Cat XLS) which I've kept since it was new.
Aug 15, 2017, 02:07 AM
DFS#000178
Ouch. That's going to put that thing awfully close to $300.

And we don't even get a mechanical ESC with it to relive the old glory days?
Aug 15, 2017, 10:57 AM
The CAT's didn't come with an Mechanical SC's back in the day. They were all out competition cars.

When Masami Hirosaka won in 1987 he used a Ko Propo CX-1 ESC.
Last edited by Lynxman; Aug 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Aug 18, 2017, 10:08 AM
I remember when these came out in '86. They destroyed my Optima which I thought was awesome at the time.
Aug 19, 2017, 03:06 PM
I was extraordinarily lucky at our club as only one person had a cat and he was no great driver or able to set it up correctly so it should have creamed my modified hotshot but never really did except in a straight line .
These ReRe cats are definitely on my list of must have cars.
Aug 20, 2017, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=Rampage;38105144]Ouch. That's going to put that thing awfully close to $300.

If you want to run anything faster than a 17.5T, you will need the transmission upgrade. Throw in some carbon fiber parts and you're looking closer to $600...
Aug 21, 2017, 06:54 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Beautiful! This will definitely be on my Christmas list this year!
Aug 21, 2017, 07:30 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm going to use a 13.5T brushless in it, without the upgraded drive train. Looking forward to building it. These old Schumachers are engineering art. They have a brilliant simplicity about the construction. I have a 13,5T motor in my Procat, which essentially has the same drive train, except the rear diff is in the rear instead of the layshaft. I hope the belt and pulleys have the same pitch on the XLS. My old 1991 Procat parts did not match when I restored it, so I hope that was just because of wear. The pulleys were 2mm pitch and the belt was MXL (2.03 mm). I'll find out tomorrow.
Last edited by Lynxman; Aug 21, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Aug 23, 2017, 07:22 AM
Didn't arrive yesterday. DHL failed to deliver on their promised date. I hope it arrives tonight. Looks like it will be here tomorrow.
Aug 23, 2017, 08:14 AM
RCGroups Editor
Post some pictures, guys!!
Aug 23, 2017, 10:24 AM
Always wanted one when I was a kid
Aug 24, 2017, 09:17 AM
Mine arrived today. I'm going to finish it tonight and hopefully paint before it starts raining again.
Aug 24, 2017, 09:52 AM
Found a couple of issues.

The bag for step 16 contains an incorrect part. The universal joint hub is the wrong type. It should be a short one. tHe one that was in the bag was a wheel axle. The same type that the wheel engages with. Fortunately I had workable replacements forboth parts in my old parts stash for my 1991 Procat. I will contact Schumaher about it.
Last edited by Lynxman; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Aug 24, 2017, 01:24 PM
Took 5,5 hours to build. I didn't encounter any more issues. The hardest part was inserting the shock circlips as I don't have circlip pliers small enough.

I did not install the rear gearbox housing early on as the instructions call for. The shorty battery mounts interfere with some screws on the gearbox housing, so I left it hanging loose until the front side plate screws were in place.

Step 19 was not a problem. I just inserted one screw at a time, fitting it through the parts.

Step 22 is installing the rear A-arm pivot blocks. The instructions say you should insert screws into holes that are already occupied by shorter screws. This can be confusing to builders who aren't sure how it's supposed to go together. The shorter screws have to be removed first if they were installed according to the instructions.

The tires are incredibly tight. Like back in the day they don't need glue unless you're going to do ridiculous top speed runs.
Last edited by Lynxman; Aug 24, 2017 at 01:33 PM.