This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 14, 2017, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

2 more bamboo brushless micro quads 1103 6500kv, this time on 2s lipo

After the success of the 1s bamboo brushless quad ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...quad-1s-6500kv ) which achieved good power and LOOOONNNNG flight times of over 12 minutes on a 350 mah one cell lipo I decided I would try similar build but this time use 2 cell lipo for a ton more power.

I will be using a silverised h101 toy quad board in acro with d shot 600 and a 6 amp 2s 4in1 esc along with 1103 6500kg motors and 3 inch props.

I've built the frames ( I will be making 2 , 1 will have a straight 2s ESC and the other capable of 1 to 3 s lipo for some experimenting with different setups .

Name: IMG_20170813_110853.jpg
Views: 283
Size: 1.12 MB
Description:

I made a notch for each arm to slot into each other for a flat top this time to make mounting FC etc level easier, still used a servo horn and epoxy and heat shrink for a strong and true join.
Motors will be mounted directly on the arms as previous build did the same and worked out well.

Next I need to fit motors and props and line them up to get level which took some fiddling last time...
Then will mount ESC and FC to make sure I have clearance for props..
I used the carbon frame in the picture to mark out motor holes before drilling , after drilling holes the arm is then sanded flat at the top with flat file and then a rounded file is used to make the scooped out bits being careful not to take too much out and weaken the arm too much.

I've been asked a number of times about the props used, they are these. 75mm DIY RC Quadcopter Spare Parts Blade Propeller Prop 2CW+2CCW
https://banggood.app.link/eDO9Gk4s6J
Camera is akk bs2 from here https://www.akktek.com/?acc=11b9842e...c1903e7132cd68
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 03:41 PM
Nice....the bamboo is strong enough for small crashes?
Aug 14, 2017, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
The 1s build has survived a lot of crashes but this is slightly different in the centre section having a notched out so that might make a weak spot I will find out soon enough lol..
I think the fact that it's a very light build makes it less prone to damage, the one cell build weighs just over 30 grams with camera.

It obviously depends on how strong the sticks are and every one is slightly different, picking a strong and straight stick is important I guess.
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
Aug 14, 2017, 04:59 PM
Droning on.
Nice Nigel. You thought about adding plates over the crossed sticks? It would add more strength. Found my builds stronger that way, it'll probably add a couple of grams which you can spare with 2s
Aug 14, 2017, 06:34 PM
I am very interested in this 2s build, please keep it updated. Thanks.
Aug 15, 2017, 02:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yets
Nice Nigel. You thought about adding plates over the crossed sticks? It would add more strength. Found my builds stronger that way, it'll probably add a couple of grams which you can spare with 2s
Yes, but so far the servo horn and doubled up heat shrink has proved VERY strong and not broken and weighs very little ,
The only part that's showed a weakness is the motor mount point where the screw goes through the frame, on a hard crash this bent slightly at this point but was easily fixed with CA ( but next time will remove the motor before glueing lol! )
Aug 17, 2017, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Name: IMG_20170817_125216.jpg
Views: 204
Size: 968.7 KB
Description:
Motors fitted, I used slightly longer screws this time so I didn't need to remove too much material from the bamboo skewers for them to reach so should be slightly stronger , also having made the frame BEFORE fashioning motor mounts has made a better job of lining up motors, they are all pretty straight right off the bat!
I fitted props before puting the motors on the frame as it is required to support the bottom of the shaft whilst pushing on the props.
For soldering I did one side and then used double sided tape to secure the ESC in place whilst I soldered up the other side , next is to tidy the wires up and secure them to the ESC with hot glue and then the ESC to the frame, trying not to use too much hot glue as it soon gets quite heavy..
In this one I'm using the racerstar 1 to 2 s 6a ESC because it has a bec already and my regulator I have on order for the other ESC has not arrived yet ...
Having a break now for my neck ( can't do this sort of thing for long these days ) and will update soon.
Aug 17, 2017, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
I just fired up the motors before adding hot glue and would you believe all 4 motors were going the wrong way, what are the odds on that i wonder?
reversed them all in blhelisuit and I can feel some real power there already just testing one motor at a time and only on 1/4 throttle the thing is trying to pull up pretty hard on 2s lipo!
Aug 17, 2017, 10:34 AM
Droning on.
Looking good. Good idea placing the esc on the underside of the frame to make a nice space for the FC.

You think that's power, try the 10000kv on 2s! I finished my build the other day, did a punch and the thing was gone, lost it over my neighbours house. 2s is too much for these little things!
Aug 17, 2017, 12:19 PM
That looks like a really cool build. I have a 2s 8000kv build with some kk65 props. It's a rocket and the motors barely feel warm after a flight.

I am interested to see how your 6500kvs do with those 75mm props on 2s. The props are on sale right now at banggood so I've ordered 4 sets.

I haven't made one build yet with my 20x 6500s. I want to try a 3s build with a set of them though. I also want rewind some to try different KV. I tried rewinding one and it's relatively easy because you don't have to remove the stator.
Aug 17, 2017, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yets
Looking good. Good idea placing the esc on the underside of the frame to make a nice space for the FC.

You think that's power, try the 10000kv on 2s! I finished my build the other day, did a punch and the thing was gone, lost it over my neighbours house. 2s is too much for these little things!
10000kv on those props on 2s sounds crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemikem
That looks like a really cool build. I have a 2s 8000kv build with some kk65 props. It's a rocket and the motors barely feel warm after a flight.

I am interested to see how your 6500kvs do with those 75mm props on 2s. The props are on sale right now at banggood so I've ordered 4 sets.

I haven't made one build yet with my 20x 6500s. I want to try a 3s build with a set of them though. I also want rewind some to try different KV. I tried rewinding one and it's relatively easy because you don't have to remove the stator.
hmmmmm, I might have to try a 3s build lol! my 6a racerstar 1 to 2 s 4in1 ESC has been reported to work ok on 3s.
I also noticed those props on sale so ordered a another few sets just incase....
I'm interested to see how you get on with your rewound motors.

I've tidied the motor ESC wires up and hot glued it all in place , next I need to figure out the motor order and wire ESC to FC h101 fets for d shot, I'll add a diode to the 5v bec output to drop voltage down nearer 4.2v for h101 vcc but need to leave it fully 5v for camera , not quite decided which camera to try yet, might start with the bs2 but if it all works well I think use the A5 split aio for a sleek build, though at the moment that's fitted in my bwhoop b03 and is good for slipping through small gaps ....
Just hope the 500ma is enough for h101 and camera.
Aug 17, 2017, 04:47 PM
The 2.8v regulator on the H101 supports input voltage up to 6v so you don't need the diode. I've been running mine directly from a 5v regulator.
Aug 17, 2017, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The 2.8v regulator on the H101 supports input voltage up to 6v so you don't need the diode. I've been running mine directly from a 5v regulator.
With LEDs switched on or off?
I seem to remember something about the LEDs can't handle the full 5v but I might be mixed up again lol.
Aug 17, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
With LEDs switched on or off?
I seem to remember something about the LEDs can't handle the full 5v but I might be mixed up again lol.
Oh good point. I do not have LEDs on this one. I clipped the arms down to fit in a LKTR120 frame.
Aug 18, 2017, 01:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Oh good point. I do not have LEDs on this one. I clipped the arms down to fit in a LKTR120 frame.
The h101 fits nicely on the bamboo frame without chopping arms off and I like Los flying with LEDs on so I'll add the diode to have that option, I'll probably have the LEDs on a switch so I can turn them off in fpv to reduce current to allow that 500ma bec an easier time of it.

Quick Reply