Aug 13, 2017, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Need Help ti ID Vintage r/c hull ????

Hi, I saw a great looking vintage r/c hull today on Ebay that I have never seen before,any info. on the type of hull it might be would be great really love the sexy curves of this one. I have also never heard of this company before,so any info on this would also be great !!! Here are some pics. of her,please check them out !!! Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2017, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Oh forgot to mention LOA 59.50" X Beam 12.50"
Aug 14, 2017, 08:04 AM
Can't read the info on the posted sticker inside, Would help to be able to read the other details - especially the city
Aug 14, 2017, 08:22 AM
Regatta Yacht #21
R/C Model Sail Yachts

(Third row of text unreadable)
(Best guess on this text ??)
"Xxx Tech zzz Product CO"

Box 1124 Burbank California
Aug 14, 2017, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Yeah,that was my take on the address too. I was wondering what design this yacht depicts,6 meter,hull too short to be a J-class,it has such a graceful design.
Aug 14, 2017, 10:02 AM
Kevin Gault
Rod Carr shows a "Regatta One-Design" in his sail listing. He visits this forum periodically, but you might send him an email. If anyone would recognize your boat, I'd bet it would be him.

Kevin
Aug 14, 2017, 10:28 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Looks to me like Tech-Aero Products CO.

They sold stuff in Flying magazine back in the '40s.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RR...0co%22&f=false
Aug 14, 2017, 11:09 AM
John - In my private capacity
The hull shape suggests that it is modeled on the Universal Rule that produces boats with letter designations such as the J class and R class. The name Regatta, suggests that it may be based on the R class yachts.

Search on Universal Rule, or R class yachts.

eg

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...02812896419651

The hull looks to be in good condition, so it would be a great project to add R/C and get it sailing again.

John

John
Aug 14, 2017, 11:54 AM

You had to have been there.............

Boat in question is a Regatta One-Design. Manufactured and sold by Matt Jacobsen of Burbank, CA. Originally one of the several similar sized hulls that were grouped into a preliminary, formative EC-12 Class until the decision was made to make the EC-12 a one-design.

As a stand alone class the Regatta O/D got up to about 30 or so boats before being eclipsed by the EC-12.

Matt later produced a Magnum 54, another attempt at a one design class, but 4" longer than the M class.

Anyone with a Regatta O/D that is thinking of updating and renovation, I have sail plan information and probably some more details on the boat in the archives, somewhere here.

Rod Carr
Aug 14, 2017, 12:40 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Thanks Rod!
Added boat: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/regattaOD
Added class: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/class/regattaOD
Aug 14, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageone
Hi, I saw a great looking vintage r/c hull today on Ebay ...
Vintageone are you going to grab it? That is a beautiful boat for sure! If ya don't plan on grabbing it, post a link up!
Aug 14, 2017, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Thank You Guys for all of your research !!! Thank you Rod Carr for your personal input on the history of this one design,how interesting. Thanks to you and the pioneers of R/C sailing we have what we have today !! Unfortunetly I was a day late and a dollar short on this one someone beat me to it with a buy it now,but I got a buddy who has one very similar to the one,if not the exact same OD model that I posted pics. of above,we are going to do some trading and I might be lucky enough to own it. I wil post some pics. of it in a few days. I still wonder what full sized yacht this model is suppose to be of I am thinking 6 meter??? Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Aug 14, 2017, 10:17 PM
I'm occupied for a couple of days, but when I get free I'm going to check your dimensions against Thomas Darling's R Boat, which this model resembles. The R Boat was documented in Darling's classic book and it would be possible that the original plug was made from these plans.

Cheers,

Earl
Aug 15, 2017, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Earl,I would appreciate that!!!
Aug 16, 2017, 03:30 PM

Regatta One-Design "Origins"

In my files I discovered an e-mail dated March 20, 2013. It is from Earl Boebert, intrepid model yachting historian, to Rob Hoffman, copied to me.

I quote: "The original of your boat was a Model Yacht Racing Association of America (MYRAA) "R" Class boat called "Bunny I," designed and built in 1926 by James Potter of Medford, MA. It was documented in Thomas Moore's 1928 book, "Building a Winning Model Yacht." The "R" Class was governed by a scaled down version of a full scale rating rule called the "Universal Rule," which also governed the famous J Class yachts that competed in the America's Cup."

Earl went on to report that the "R" Class rule was explained and well documented in an issue of The Model Yacht, the newsletter of the U.S. Vintage Model Yachting Group.

Thought this might save Earl from having to inhale more dust while searching his archives.

Good Sailing everyone.........

Quick Reply