oh crap (flyaway video) - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by d0uglas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:52 AM
Doug
Careful!

oh crap (flyaway video)

During an early morning flight when no one was around I lost my signal or the receiver malfunctioned barely a thousand feet from me. Failsafes kicked in which kept the plane inside the park, not sailing into town, with a pretty wild landing:

RC Flyaway: Tragedy Narrowly Averted by Failsafes (2 min 36 sec)

As for the culprit, I range tested it and on low power it failed at 15 paces. I remembered I had added a capacitor to the receiver that came with the flight controller I had been using, I guess it's supposed to mitigate the risk of brownouts from power surges. I removed it and it range tested beautifully.

But to be safe, in case it were something else, before I fly the plane normally I will instead fly at low altitude early in the morning out to sea as far as I can and just do full throttle laps for at least several batteries, including raising the flight controller rate gains to induce oscillation to shake things up, so that if there's a flyaway I only lose the plane rather than risk killing anyone. I figure the more times I do that without incident the more likely the plane is shipshape and seaworthy for regular flight.

Range test after doing anything either involving your radio equipment or after anything noteworthy happening to the plane, and for good measure every now and then. Also program your failsafes to put your plane in a gentle spiral, if you want my advice. This could have ended very badly in many different ways, as far as being in a flyaway goes, short of a smooth landing, I got as lucky as one can get.
Latest blog entry: oh crap (flyaway video)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2017, 12:58 PM
In 1 piece? Not for long...:)
I wonder what that capacitor did that caused such a decrease in range? Doesn't seem like a cap should affect anything.
Aug 19, 2017, 02:38 PM
Doug
Perhaps I plugged it in the wrong way, its polarity reversed maybe? After the successful range test without it, I plugged it back in and could not recreate the failure. Additionally I had put away at least a dozen packs with this configuration without incident.

So that leaves me less than certain it was the capacitor. I think I should fly at low altitude as far out to sea as I can see and back over and over for several packs before flying normally.
Latest blog entry: oh crap (flyaway video)
Aug 20, 2017, 09:59 PM
In 1 piece? Not for long...:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uglas
Perhaps I plugged it in the wrong way, its polarity reversed maybe? After the successful range test without it, I plugged it back in and could not recreate the failure. Additionally I had put away at least a dozen packs with this configuration without incident.

So that leaves me less than certain it was the capacitor. I think I should fly at low altitude as far out to sea as I can see and back over and over for several packs before flying normally.
I have had a few range issues before, and all were caused by antennas. Make sure to check your receiver antennas as well as transmitter antenna for loose connections. Sounds to me like an intermittent connection since you weren't able to duplicate the issue.