Nov 02, 2004, 10:38 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Thread OP

What's the best radio for sport flying?

High end?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2004, 01:02 PM
Not a very specific question. For just the transmitter, what price range are you looking at?
Nov 02, 2004, 01:55 PM
Too many factors involved. There is no one perfect radio. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, how much you are willing to spend, what you need, what type of planes, heli, gliders, etc.. you fly.
Nov 02, 2004, 06:56 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Thread OP
I came close to bidding on a FUTABA 9VAP because of the features that help you do stunts. What is the current version and cost. That version is no longer able to be serviced by Futaba according to their web site.
Nov 02, 2004, 07:04 PM
Permanently Banned
check www.rcworldofplanes.net Wattage wildcat package deal
Nov 02, 2004, 07:26 PM
Solcat,
what kind of planes are you flying, do you plan to fly, what is your style of flying -- sport, pattern, 3D? The Futaba 9c could be all the radio you'll ever need. However, the Hitec Eclipse 7 is cheaper and has tons of features. I own both and went to the 9c primarily for the expansion memory to allow more planes, extra channels, and more flexibility on programming.

-- Kyle
Nov 02, 2004, 08:18 PM
Also you may want to consider the Royal Evo 9 or 12 by Multiplex. There is quite a bit of information on that Radio on the forums. I own a Hitec Flash 5 and an Evo. Both are goog for what they have been designed for. The Flash 5 is good for low cost 5 channel radio with some basic mixing functions. The Evo is designed as an advanced radio in the same league as the Futaba 9C.
Nov 02, 2004, 09:09 PM
If 4 or 5 channels is all you need, go with the Hitec Flash 5X.
Nov 02, 2004, 09:22 PM
Balsa Builder
Get a 7C or 9C, you have much more programming options, even for basic sport flying, and cost for them, if you buy them Tx only is very reasonable. If you decide later you want to get into more complicated planes or collective pitch helicopters, you'll be glad you bought this over one of the basic 4-5-6 channel radios.

--Paul
Nov 02, 2004, 09:30 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
I recommend a Futaba 6XAS (get the 'S' / 'Super' for the expo and 6 channel memory). I used one for my first 18 months and it was a great radio for sport, park, pylon, gas, etc planes. Has a lot of options for mixing and all the tuning stuff that I ever needed. As Kyle mentioned the 7C is also cool and can be had for ~$150 from servocity.com

See the list of functions here for the 6XAS: http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk30.html
and the manual here: http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/6xas-hs-manual.pdf

Best part is that there are still a fair amount of them around (seen many NIB on ebay also) for under $100. Found one for a friend recently that had a 7 channel Futaba receiver, 4 servos, charger, etc for $110. Had never been used.

A solid transmitter, IMO
Nov 02, 2004, 10:07 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Thread OP
I am going to maiden Ming's new sport EPP plane soon. I saw that Futaba CAP and was impressed by all the special functions, like snap roll etc. Are there simular radios now. I actually have a Futaba xas now.

Quick Reply