Mar 26, 2018, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark-357
Thanks Den.

It flew today, i must say it`s a perfect flier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMA...ature=youtu.be
Very nice!

Can you tell me more about the setup? I am very curious because I do own an EfXtra and even a spare motor that only needs new bearings.
I like the EFXtra a lot but I'd rather fly a nice BF 109 instead.

Do you fly it 4S I suppose? What prop is in use?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks, here is my setup:

-EFXtra motor 1780KV swinging a 8x6 prop
-60A ESC Hobbyking
-4x HXT900 9g servos
-and 2200 3S batteries (i use anything from 25,40 and 60C)
-The plane comes in at about 1050g RTF weight.

Flight time is cca 5-7min, depends on the throttle, i do think it`s a bit much motor for the plane, and would say a 1400-1500kv with 40A esc and 3s 2200mah would be better suited, most flying was done at about 1/3 of the throttle... but its a rocket for sure
Last edited by Shark-357; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Mar 26, 2018, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Thanks, here is my setup:

-EFXtra motor 1780KV swinging a 8x6 prop
-60A ESC Hobbyking
-4x HXT900 9g servos
-and 2200 3S batteries (i use anything from 25,40 and 60C)
-The plane comes in at about 1050g RTF weight.

Flight time is cca 5-7min, depends on the throttle, i do think it`s a bit much motor for the plane, and would say a 1400-1500kv with 40A esc and 3s 2200mah would be better suited, most flying was done at about 1/3 of the throttle... but its a rocket for sure
Ok thank you. I fly my EFXtra with 4S. That would be too much for the BF 109 I suppose?
I love the EfXtra rocketship. The BF 109 will rapidly desintegrate midair most likely I suppose?
5-7 min is nice though. The EFXtra runs 3 minutes @4S.

If I build the BF 109 the EFXtra motor would be my choice since all I need is two new bearings. It's just lying around right now.
Mar 26, 2018, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Ok thank you. I fly my EFXtra with 4S. That would be too much for the BF 109 I suppose?
I love the EfXtra rocketship. The BF 109 will rapidly desintegrate midair most likely I suppose?
5-7 min is nice though. The EFXtra runs 3 minutes @4S.

If I build the BF 109 the EFXtra motor would be my choice since all I need is two new bearings. It's just lying around right now.
Go for it, i sold my ex BF109F also with EFXtra setup and it was faster on 3S than EFXtra.

Cheack out my videos on the F4 version:

3DLabPrint Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 Trop maiden (4 min 34 sec)

3DLabPrint Bf109 F-4 trop high speed aerobatics (4 min 32 sec)
Mar 26, 2018, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Go for it, i sold my ex BF109F also with EFXtra setup and it was faster on 3S than EFXtra.

Cheack out my videos on the F4 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynhZn0kUXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7oLNtSJPFc
Nice! I gotta re-maiden my MIG 15 first then finish my FPV Easymax 001 but then I'll print a BF 109.
These 3Dlab planes start to get an addiction I guess. It seems that they are really good fliers. MY Mig flew very well and your BF 109 does/did too at least.
Jan 28, 2019, 02:27 AM
I've built a ME 109 H/F (Labgang version reinforced with bigger stabilizer and the T Version Wing. It's ready to madiden. I am rather scared to do so though because it comes in very heavy at 1.1 kg. It's because I went for the 6S setup and the lipos I got ar 1450maH ones.

Anyone flew one of these with that much AUW?

It's built like a tank with the reinforced hull but If it can't slow down at all anymore that wont help.
Jan 28, 2019, 02:56 AM
This is indeed heavy.
Very likely it will fly - but be prepared for snap roll in loops/turning and the landing also has to be fast.
Jan 28, 2019, 11:39 AM
I am puzzled by the high weight. I did weight some parts when I started printing and they were spot on. I did not do so after that though.
The lipo weighs 232 grams so that shouldn't be it. The reinfoced labgang fuse should only be 21 grams more and the bigger elevator a few as well but not to this extent.

Usually I weigh every part I print - I guess I should've done here as well. I got metal gear servos, a mod to screw the wing on. A reinforced spinner - it all adds up I guess.
I'll soon find out if it is possible to land it in one piece.
Jan 29, 2019, 07:28 AM
Maidened it today. The weight is a non issue. It flies fantastic and can be landed just as slowly as my EfXtra.
No snaprolls when doing loops either. I guess the large elevator helps here.

The racestar 4108 motor works perfectly fine too. The spinner did not explode. Time to paint it.

Edit: My 5S EfXtra is quite a bit faster but after 3 min the lipo is empty. This one is still very fast (If the EfXtra is 200 to 220 km/h I'd say this one manages 150 to 170) and makes a lot less ruckus with its slower turning bigger prop and is good for at least 7 minutes flight time - probably a lot more with mixed throttle.
Last edited by Thoemse; Jan 29, 2019 at 07:38 AM.
Mar 13, 2019, 10:10 PM
Bought some Royal Elements, White Viynl Sticker Paper to make decals. Nice stuff, thin vinyl, very sticky, and the glue dries. The edges are tight need blade to lift. Makes the 109 look way better.
Mar 19, 2019, 08:00 PM
I'm having bad luck on this. Upset they did not provide gcodes for the individual pieces in the download. I try to slice with Cura with the profile I got from their site but get issues like that shown on this wing section. I was able to print nicely though when I used a sample gcode for the Mig fuselage so I know I can print on this printer but for whatever reason I'm getting bad results with Cura and their profile or any other I try. Any suggestions as to what to change in Cura? Why did they not provide gcode for the individual pieces?
Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 AM
Plane crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
I'm having bad luck on this. Upset they did not provide gcodes for the individual pieces in the download. I try to slice with Cura with the profile I got from their site but get issues like that shown on this wing section. I was able to print nicely though when I used a sample gcode for the Mig fuselage so I know I can print on this printer but for whatever reason I'm getting bad results with Cura and their profile or any other I try. Any suggestions as to what to change in Cura? Why did they not provide gcode for the individual pieces?
Maybe this can help.

HOW TO 3D PRINT your own RC AIRPLANE (14 min 7 sec)
Mar 20, 2019, 09:00 AM
I'll go through that vid. Hope he's using Cura. I've been debating if Simplify 3d is worth it for prints like this as this really appears to be a Cura issue as the problems are always in the same spot of a particular piece. I know they use Simplify for these planes gcode. Dunno though. I'll first invest more time seeing if I can figure out the Cura issue. Thanks.
Jun 16, 2019, 09:42 AM
My first attempt at a 3D printed plane, a 'trop inspired' 109/F.

Honestly the printing and assembly process was disturbingly easy, tweaking my existing S3D profiles to capture the key settings in the 3DPL factory FFFs. All printed in esun PLA+. Really easy filament to work with, clean lines and great layer adhesion @ 218 degrees from an E3Dv6 hotend - sets nicely with no cooling fan. Weights came in spot on. Had a bit of bed warping on some wing sections (it's cold here at the moment) which were filled in with epoxy and show through the very thin layers of paint+clear coat. Shame my painting skills dont rival my mastery of the printer, but didnt want to invest too much time into something that might last less than 10 seconds lol. If it survives its maiden I'll spare some decals for it.

Just waiting for its powertrain to arrive on the slow boat. Have an AR636 receiver here that I'll be programming with a custom SAFE tune to help get it up in the air for it's first flights and to keep the wings steady on final approaches.

Still yet to take the spinner. Contemplating PETG but PLA+ is just so much easier to work with, might coat it in a thin layer of epoxy to hold it together at high RPM.

Quick Reply