Aug 26, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thx guys.

Weight is cca. 950g, all the electronics are from Durafy EFXtra (1780kv motor, 60A esc, 9g servos MG on elevator).
Not sure what to do with the spinner tho, i have ABS in my printer right now, so i might make one out of ABS?

Good thing i work in IT so i played with a few programs and recovered the video, here it is guys:

3DLabPrint Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 Trop maiden (4 min 34 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2017, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
What propeller and battery do you use ? Do you know how many Watts ?

I have finished painting mine now. Next is making markings, I think I paint these on except for the JG27 badge on the nose. Also need to vacuumform a canopy.

The smooth surface really helps when masking tape is needed.
Aug 27, 2017, 01:34 PM
Very nice, Pentium.

Den
Aug 27, 2017, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium View Post

I have finished painting mine now. Next is making markings, I think I paint these on except for the JG27 badge on the nose. Also need to vacuumform a canopy.

The smooth surface really helps when masking tape is needed.
Looks very nice mate.

I use 8x6 prop and an 3s 2200mAh 25 and 35C batteries (Zippy and Turnigy), havent put it on watt meter will do tomorrow and let you know, i did weight it tho and it came out as a pig @ 1030g

I did try two more 2-part spinners the same you are using right now and they both failed at about 60% throttle so be sure to check that and watch you eyes (second was ABS and third again PLA) . The one piece spinner with a backplate has survived both of the flights i did today, so i guess i need to use that one and live with the big gap ...

Had some time today so i finished the paint and installed the trop filter, also tried some "weathering"... im not the best at it and i used a brush.

Flight no.3 video below:

3DLabPrint Bf109 F-4 trop high speed aerobatics (4 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Shark-357; Aug 27, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Aug 27, 2017, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks again for videos. Your setup seems pretty hot, it certainly moves!

I use a 1400kv and I regret that I didn't choose the 1800kv.

I am still going for 8" diameter, probably a 8x6 or 8x7, but it is not going to be as fast as yours.

First weight estimate is 900-950 grams, but eying 1000 grams.

Any lead in the nose ?

About the spinner problem I thought that the problem lies in the layer-print. I will try out a PLA-version reinforced with 25 gr. fibreglass glued on with thin CA. This might increase the max. allowed RPM before failing. And of course use safety glasses for my eyes while testing. I guess that it is the base part that is prone of failing ?

About weathering, it probably adds to realism, but I have never done this before and I am to chicken to try it out. I don't make panel lines either, but I will draw a retracted undercarriage on the bottom side of the wing, an maybe the wing radiators. I decided not to make the wing radiators in 3d, because it will only decrease the wing efficiency and would not be helping in landings.
Aug 27, 2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah it`s really fast, maybe you can use a bigger prop on your motor and get similar results (9 or even 10" if the motor/esc combo alows it, but beware of the torque roll).

I have no added weight in the nose due to a heavy motor and 60A ESC.
For spinner im playing with the idea of sketching up a skirt for the backside of the spinner to close the gap (i need to close 6mm coz it`s really funny looking like that).
About weathering this is my frst try ever, it was just a little test it didnt turn out to bad .
Aug 29, 2017, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium View Post
I measureded the power output today and it came out @ 736W/66A on 3s on storage voltage 11,4V.

I also sketch up and printed an 6mm ring for the backside of the spiner backplate to minimize the gap and it does look a bit better. Unfortunately i do not have the skills to modify complete backplate to a bigger 6mm center hole and included back "skirt"...
Aug 30, 2017, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
You have a really hot setup there.

I like my planes to fly fast, but I think I can manage with less than 700W/kg

I will go for 8" diameter, as the wingspan only is 90 cm. I would prefer a 7" diameter, but the kv of my motor is to low.
Sep 06, 2017, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Haven't had much time for this project in the last two weeks, but it is almost finished now. Still needs to mount some gear in the fuse, make a new spinner and decals on the bottom side of the wing.

Pictures show the molding of a canopy, masking tape for making decals and the plane as it looks in a finished state.

Decals were made from masking tape/paint except for swastikas and badges on the nose.
Sep 06, 2017, 05:29 PM
What a beauty, pentium. Really nice job.

Den
Oct 14, 2017, 03:50 PM
Solve et cuagula
Mine finally flies... Better late than never..
If you need a laugh..
3Dprinted MESSERSCHMITT BF 109 H (4 min 11 sec)
Oct 23, 2017, 08:26 AM
@Pentium: brilliant job there! You just showed us how far one can get with this new technology in RC modelling. Very promising in deed! Up to now I stick to foamies but 3d printing looks like a bright future
Oct 23, 2017, 01:58 PM
Amazing work!
Could you elaborate more about decals - have you printed them online, what was the material? Because I've tried to print decals once - they came out very thick and didn't stick well, in fact with decals plane looked worse than without
Oct 24, 2017, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
The swastika and the JG27 badge were printed on Laser waterslide decals. You can buy these from Hobbyking etc. On my P-47 the decals were large and gave problems with the laserprinter.

I found the swastika here on RCGroups (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-downloading) and the JG 27 badge was found on Google pictures. I took the one with the best resolution and gave it some post processing in Paint or Sketchup.

The rest of the marking were spray painted on, using masking tape. As templates for the masking I used the pdf from 3DLabprint.

Either way if you use waterslides or masking tape/paint you need a smooth surface. I don't else know how to make the decals stick right or avoid the painted ones to go blurry. With vinyl stickers I would certainly smoothen out the surface first.

About making a smooth painted surface I have described it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7N-build/page5 (post #62).

Some of the others in this thread has some succes decorating without smoothing. Smoothing takes a little time, but not that much. And the result is worth it.
Jan 16, 2018, 05:11 PM
Planes, Kites, and Swords
Hi all, I just finished up my Bf 109 from 3d lab prints. I added the radiators to the bottom of the wings, made a new beefier spinner and removed the logo off of the side but the rest is unmodified. I actually made a spinner for a two blade and a three blade props. I have a couple of flights on it now, one with each prop and it flies great. Allot better than I expected actually. Now I am experimenting with scaling up the plane. I can scale it up to 139% on my printer (Prusa i3) this will give me a wingspan of 48.8", At that size I am having to add a bit of additional support structure in the wings so I am also looking on adding retracts and flaps. I will update with how the up-scaling goes.
PS: the markings are by Callie Graphics

3dlabs Me109 f (6 min 7 sec)
Last edited by tkwasny; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply