3d Lab Print BF 109 H/F as BF109F-4/TROP - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 12, 2017, 05:06 PM
Discussion

3d Lab Print BF 109 H/F as BF109F-4/TROP

After building the P-47-N from 3DLABPRINT (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7N-build/page4 #59), I wanted to try out a BF109.

The BF109T seems to be to much “fun”-scale for my taste, I would have preferred a BF109E. But the wing and stabilizers are way to large.

Then I took a closer look on the BF109H/F. This design can be printed out with a large centersection (H-version) or a regular (F-version). I ordered this one, printed it out and I think it is fairly scalelike. It will be worth the effort of making extra details and finish.

The basic model was printed and glued together really quickly.

I spent all of my INGEO PLA (from PRUSA) on the P-47N, so I ordered some “Premium” PLA from a local dealer. Unfortunately the “Premium” PLA were more sensitive to heat, with the best result at 215 degrees (C) instead of 230 (C) which were fine for the INGEO PLA. I discovered this after printing out the wing, where the centre sections didn’t fit excactly. No problem, I am gluing in a mounting plate for a wingbolt instead of using the rubber band mount.

For the rubber band mount the front intake has been modified. This is not a pretty sight, I will modify this with a piece of wood. (I have tried modifying the STL-files, but it seems like my 3d modelling skills aren’t good enough yet)

I have chosen a PROP DRIVE 2836 1400 kv from Hobbyking for driving the plane. I will try using a smaller diameter propeller, probably a 8x8 or 8x7, to reduce the torque effect.

As on my P-47N I will make a clear canopy by vacuum molding. The mold for this is easy to make out of an extra print poured with plaster. On the P-47 the canopy was made in 2 hours total, and a clear canopy really adds a lot to the appearance.

The color scheme will be JG 27 Eduard Neumann or Marseille although the latter doesn’t have the nice “Afrika” Badge on the nose. I really like that badge.

For painting I found some spray cans with reasonable color similarity. Using spray cans really makes finishing a lot simpler.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2017, 05:30 PM
Thats great, im printing mine as we speak using a cheap 13€ HK PLA and a Tevo Tarantula printer.
Aug 12, 2017, 05:49 PM
What a coincidence, I was planning on starting a thread for the BF 109F today as well! Would you be willing to share the STL for the tropical filter?

Also, are you keeping this thread specific for your personal build or more of a general discussion for the 3DLabPrint 109?
Aug 12, 2017, 08:15 PM
Beautiful, guys.

Den
Aug 13, 2017, 06:33 AM
Thanks for showing your projects. The more the merrier. Please post videos, modifications, and what gear you use too.

I think that we needed a thread about the 109. I haven't been able to find any so far. I just thought that nobody cared about the 109.

The STL's for the tropical filter are enclosed. I made it in two parts, you just glue it together. I used Sketchup for design and in Simplify for some reason I have to scale the STL's up to 1000% (?). I use 100% infill.

One further modification I would like to do is radiators under the wing. I am just not skilled enough to make this in Sketchup or Autodesk yet. Maybe I'll draw a simple box and make the round shapes with balsa.
Aug 13, 2017, 03:42 PM
Getting there by tomorrow evening should have the fuse all printed.

Thanks for the trop filter share i will be printing that
Aug 13, 2017, 04:06 PM
Frontintake has now been trimmed, patched and putty’ed. Have also sanded down for now.

Wing and fuse have been putty’ed with automotive polyester putty on all seams and patches and have rubbed down using grit 80. Rubbing it down is hard work but done in an hour.

I have sprayputty’ed the wing and the fuse is now sprayputty’ed.

some sanding, priming, sanding and spraypaint is left together with mounting canopy, decals and installing radiogear. Lets see when I get this done. The weather is finally getting better and maybe we get some summer, so maybe I can fly instead of building.
Aug 21, 2017, 04:52 PM
Coming along nicely, next need to buy an airbrush for desert colors. Also made a mistake and printed 25% bigger "upgraded" horizontal stabilizer and elevator. Tommorow i will print the two part spinner to check if i can close the gap between the cowling and spinner ( i have 7mm gap since im using all EFXtra gear)
Aug 21, 2017, 07:10 PM
All of these are really, really nice.

Den
Aug 22, 2017, 03:55 PM
Got the fuse almost done need to paint trop filter + exhaust, rudder push rod is missing and than on to the wings.

All up weight minus the battery and rudder push rod is 790g .
Aug 22, 2017, 04:36 PM
Looking good. Are you using the same color scheme as mine ? Have you used spray cans for painting ?

My 109' is soon ready for paint. I have bought some spraycans from "BELTON", the "Molotow premium". Mostly used by grafittipainters/"street artists" or what you call them. It dries very quick and is easy to paint.
Aug 22, 2017, 04:43 PM
Thx, yours looks very nice prepared, i did not want to go to far with filler and paint to keep the weight down.
I used spray paint for yellow and grey (which is actually filler) , for the desert brown i used Tamiya XF-78 and a brush, since i still dont own an airbrush.
Not sure of your scheme, this is what im aiming for.
Aug 26, 2017, 12:43 PM
Guys im happy to report that this thing flys very very well

I got to maiden it today with great success, apart from the spinner that blew up on throttle check (i flew without the spinner), it flew like a champ.
Im using all the parts from HK Durafly EFXtra (motor, ESC, servos and even ball links), and guys let me tell you it`s fast, really fast (faster than EFX on 3S).

Unfortunately something happened to my msd card so no video
Aug 26, 2017, 01:40 PM
Congratulations on the maiden!
Aug 26, 2017, 02:43 PM
I am happy to hear, congrats on the maiden We want to see video soon

I am curious about the weight, what did you end up with ?

And which drive and propeller do you use ?

How did you place CG, a little forward or on spot ? The enlarged stabilizer probably helps a lot. I have kept the small stabilizer as I choose the smaller wing from the F instead of the H.

I am painting mine right now, found some descent colors on spray cans. Really easy, but takes time.

A little worried about your experiences with the spinner though. Maybe this should be printed in PETG or ABS instead ?